Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from sprockets,
You think it's possible in an easy way, to change the gears on a Cb300f/cbr300r from within the gearbox?
I'd be intrigued to know, if such a practice is possible or not...

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Aside from sprockets,
You think it's possible in an easy way, to change the gears on a Cb300f/cbr300r from within the gearbox?
I'd be intrigued to know, if such a practice is possible or not...
In an easy way?

No... splitting the cases on a motorcycle engine is not an easy undertaking, particularly if one doesn't have access to all the special tools required for the job.

As for swapping out the gears themselves, I don't know if you could even find anything that would fit besides the same OEM gears that Honda originally installed in the gearbox. Plus, it's not like there is a lot of extra room inside the cases of motorcycle gearbox... everything is packed into a pretty tight space.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought this would be the case.

On a rebel, it's pretty easy to open the case, and see the gears and clutch right there.
I thought perhaps there's a way to just swap out one or two gears with a different ratio, affecting all others, but alas...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I thought this would be the case.

On a rebel, it's pretty easy to open the case, and see the gears and clutch right there.
I thought perhaps there's a way to just swap out one or two gears with a different ratio, affecting all others, but alas...
I suggest you do your self a favor and stick to sprocket changes. What you are contemplating doing is a major undertaking...:eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
unless you know a lot about gears and mating and fitment i wouldn't even think of attempting this. I'm a fitter/machinist and it's not something i'd ever consider, because the outlay vs gains would be terrible.

Sprocket changes are quick and easy and work.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,
Most bikes are pretty flexible in sprockets.
The CB300s are not.
15/34T is the highest sprocket gearing that fits...
Even if I wanted 15/29 (will make 5th gear top speed, and 6th gear city riding at 40mph very good in mpg)
I guess I could also fit a higher profile tire, but they usually do very little to the overall gearing (aka 1mph difference over 50mph, or a few ten less rpms on 5000).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is one more with energy !

Hi I see that 250 and 300 have the same 6 gear sprocket but reverse.!

300. 27/26, 250 26/27. If the gearbox is the same, but with different config.

There should be 2 types of both 26 and 27 with or whidout ( tabs? ) name it for me.

So if You put in the 250:s sprocket in the 300.

You can have an 13 T front sprocket, and still have the gearing

for commuting like orginal 14.

And in my case I do not need to go to 15 in the front

beacuse now I con crusing little softer, using 6 gear.

Happy riding !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts