Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm picking up my CBR300R this weekend (first motorcycle). I'm curious what kind of mods I can do to make it more comfortable for a tall rider

I'm 6'4" 160 lbs

I'm most concerned about low speed tight turns causing a conflict between my knees and handlebars more than I am about comfort

Which mods can help with that? Handlebar risers? Lower pegs? Higher seat? Any suggestions or links are appreciated!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well I would say that the absolute best place to start is by heading to your local store and having a sit on one, better yet a test run on one. Only then can we begin to figure out where or how to alter ergonomics.

Relaistically you can do all of those things suggested in OP, but may may be superfluous. Figure out where the problem areas are first (if there are even any)

Welcome to the site :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unless you have your heartset on a cbr300r or cb300f maybe you should look at bikes a little bigger as I'm sure these bikes are designed for smaller riders. I'm 5.5 and the bike fits me like a glove wouldn't want to be much taller tho..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unless you have your heartset on a cbr300r or cb300f maybe you should look at bikes a little bigger as I'm sure these bikes are designed for smaller riders. I'm 5.5 and the bike fits me like a glove wouldn't want to be much taller tho..
Being that I'm a new ride and that I'm 6'4" and 195 is was told that a 300cc bike was a beginner bike and I shouldn't get anything bigger. Does that rule note apply to someone of my height? I looked at a lot of bikes in this class and they all have almost the same seat high.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being that I'm a new ride and that I'm 6'4" and 195 is was told that a 300cc bike was a beginner bike and I shouldn't get anything bigger. Does that rule note apply to someone of my height? I looked at a lot of bikes in this class and they all have almost the same seat high.
Fun tool for bike ergonomics!

You can learn on bigger bikes, the smaller bikes just tend to have larger margins of error for common beginner mistakes. Big bikes have more room due to the larger engine. But that means higher cost, more weight, more power. The fundamentals are the same though, so it's totally possible to start on a larger bike. Carefully

The CBR250 forum had quite a few taller riders, from 6'2" up to 6'7". So it's not set-in-stone for smaller people only. I'll post my first ride experience after this Saturday!

·
Registered
162 Posts
One thing you can do ais add some extra padding to the seat to raise you up a bit higher. You could also play with the suspension, but realistically you aren't going to be making a dramatic change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are larger low powered sports bikes if you find the 300 feels a little cramped for your likeing.. Cbr500
Bit more power and a bit more weight but still not a full powered sports bike

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel like a Gorilla on it at 6' 200 pounds but I ride a KLR650 and have owned Goldwings. I bought the CB300F for my wife who is 5'4" tall. It's a great fit for her. Go sit on other bikes. Maybe a KLX250S (but they are hard to start). XT250 maybe.

I'd also suggest that you learn to ride on the trail. If you can ride trail you'll find that the roads are mostly flat LOL! Maybe pick up a good used dirt bike and start there.

PS: Take a basic riders coarse!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
No offence to people offering to try different type of bike, but I am not interested in dual-sport, even though Kawasaki KLR-650 fits me perfectly. I completely dwarfed Suzuki Tu-250 and still didn't find it uncomfortable. I am in my early thirties with family and kids and I want a somewhat sporty bike, but not the kind which will kill me. I personally don't want a 500CC sports-bike, especially given that they are not much different size-wise. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

First ride!

At speeds, it definitely isn't bad for a tall person (6'4", 36 inseam). I'm still learning so I'm sure my posture and technique will contribute to discomfort, but at speeds it felt great. I didn't attempt many low speed maneuvers, but I did street, parking lot, and highway and my height never seemed a barrier to nice riding

Once I get more experience I'll keep posting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
6'1" here, I sat on the 500 and the 300 and couldn't see that much of a difference. But then it's all relative since my old commuter bike was a Yamaha xv250 both the Hondas felt large. My 300 is infinitely more comfortable than what I had.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spent another hour/30 miles on it yesterday. Lower back is pretty sore today, but the ride was comfortable and fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 6'3 with a lot of length in my legs.
I ride fine on the cbr300. No leg cramps, no back pain.. However I haven't spent more then an hour and a half at a time on the back of the bike.. I think the semi upright driving position helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CBR300 riders How tall are you? How does your bike fit you?

I'm 6'3" and put down on a CBR300r. Was to late in the season to ride so I won't pick it until Feb 2015. Didnt get to ride the 300r yet bet felt good when I sat on it. Just wanted to get some feed back on how other riders felt on it tall or short.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
6'4", 165 lbs, 36" inseam

Been riding a CBR300R for a few weeks, felt good! It's my first bike so my riding posture might be terrible, I sit pretty far back in the seat. But after some initial soreness, it's been completely comfortable (40 miles is my longest ride)

I was worried about my knees and handlebars being a problem, but perfect so far. They might bump if I tried the MSF box, but haven't needed to yet ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
6'4", 165 lbs, 36" inseam

Been riding a CBR300R for a few weeks, felt good! It's my first bike so my riding posture might be terrible, I sit pretty far back in the seat. But after some initial soreness, it's been completely comfortable (40 miles is my longest ride)

I was worried about my knees and handlebars being a problem, but perfect so far. They might bump if I tried the MSF box, but haven't needed to yet ;)
Not bad at all, at a height like that I would have expected it to not go as well as it did for you, good to hear it worked out well. What bike do you remember riding when you took your riders course?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts