Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just wondering - I'm in Taiwan trying to buy a bike and I test drove the two below: a 2016 CBR300R (no mods) and 2020 CB300R with SC exhaust slip on. The CB300R just felt much more responsive, faster everywhere, more immediate torque - same eager feeling as my old CBR600. The CBR felt sluggish by comparison, very slow to build up power and put it down. Any ideas as to why? Did the removal of the stock exhaust and weight reduction make such a big difference, or are they geared differently? Hoping I can make the right choice here. Thanks.

Links:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I changed from a CBR300R to a CB300R last November. The CBR was a much more sporty responsive bike but the forward reaching position affected the arthritis in my neck very badly so I changed to the CB. For the first four years the CBR was ideal. The CB being more upright is much less sporty than the CBR but it suits me for the roads here. I have 15T front sprocket on CB as I did on CBR. I do not change exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[Hey folks, just wondering - I'm in Taiwan trying to buy a bike and I test drove the two below: a 2016 CBR300R (no mods) and 2020 CB300R with SC exhaust slip on. The CB300R just felt much more responsive, faster everywhere, more immediate torque - same eager feeling as my old CBR600. The CBR felt sluggish by comparison, very slow to build up power and put it down. Any ideas as to why? Did the removal of the stock exhaust and weight reduction make such a big difference, or are they geared differently? Hoping I can make the right choice here. Thanks.]

In Stock factory specs the CBR300R is about 17 to 18 kg heavier than the CB300R {161.9 kg vs 143 kg.}
The sprocket gearing is the same for both and if exhaust was the only change made on the latter bike it might reduce the weight by 1 or 2 kg but will not make a noticeable power difference other than in your head. It is possible that sprocket ratios had been altered on one or both of the bikes. Stock ratio for both is 14T front and 36T rear. A smaller front or larger rear would give more rapid acceleration. I expect near 20 kg weight difference might likely be felt but I am not sure that seat of the pants would make the difference feel too significant. So I do wonder if the sprocket ratio on one of the bikes had been altered assuming both were on OME tyre sizes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts