Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded bikes with a friend for only today. Initial impressions, I want one. I noticed the low-end torque right away and how light and agile the bike was. I think the CBR300 looks better in person. The freeway experience was good, no issues getting to 80 mph. I think my Ninja 250 has more oomph on the freeway but it has 2 cylinders. Overall I like the CBR300, it's a great entry level bike with killer looks. I had bigger bikes before, but I never stopped riding small displacement bikes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Bo Bo don't get drawn into this entry level bike bollocks, its just a great bike period. There are a few guys on here worried about the capabilities of the bike needlessly I have to add. Like you I have ridden much bigger bikes in my time and I just love this one to bits. Only fundamental flaw in the whole plan is the pillion provision or non provision, which ever way you look at it. if your pillion is a 12 year old child with very bendy legs or a very flexible petite young lady and weighs next to nothing then great. Anything other then that they are going to hate it. The bike can cope with bigger and heavier passengers but there is no room for comfort on the back.

Good luck with your choice.:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotta give credit where it's due. Entry level bike = entry level maintenance and most of my previous Supersport bikes have been money pits. With the CBR having 1 cylinder that means I can finally cut the cost of valve adjustments in half. My parallel twin 250cc cost me about $300 and before that my old liter bike cost me over $550.

I don't think small bikes like these were meant to carry normal sized passengers, especially on the freeway. Both my Ninja's were very compact in the back with minimal leg room. I have seen people pack it up on a small Moto in other countries with less regulations, but that's ridiculous. The 500r is much more accommodating with room and power.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
With the CBR having 1 cylinder that means I can finally cut the cost of valve adjustments in half. My parallel twin 250cc cost me about $300 and before that my old liter bike cost me over $550.
The valve inspection intervals are every 16,000 miles on the CBR so Its not going to be a regular expense for you. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The valve inspection intervals are every 16,000 miles on the CBR so Its not going to be a regular expense for you. :)
These days, I ride maybe 3000kms/yr, so the valve adjustment will be required in 2020......

:rolleyes:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's another reason why I like the CBR, less expense more seat time. My ninja is due for another valve check and possible adjustment, so I will be looking to drop another $300+.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Try and take a test ride on an R3 too you won't be disappointed.
Have you ridden the R3?

If so, were you decontaminated before being allowed in here?

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try and take a test ride on an R3 too you won't be disappointed.
I believe it, my N300 had an Area P exhaust with juice box, the power should be similar or a bit more than the R3. I can imagine the R3 being quick in stock form.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yea! but when all is said and done the only bike you can compare the CBR with is the KTM 390. The others are twins and totally different animals altogether. tumtittumtittumtitum!;)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I too rode an R 3 and found it quite nice. But here with Honda's incentives the R 3 (no ABS) is about $500.00 or more than the CBR 300 R with ABS. So that saving will pay for lots of gas (the CBR 300 gets much better gas mileage) OR a nice after market pipe Or still pay for my insurance.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you ridden the R3?

If so, were you decontaminated before being allowed in here?
Yeah bought one for my wife to start riding with me. I should have waited when I bought my 300f I originally wanted the R3 but my impatience got the best of me.

My dealer held on to my 300f for almost two weeks waiting for the relay replacement. Since then I've put 800 miles on the R3.

All I can say about the R3 is that the bike is incredibly smooth. Below 7k the bike is really tame and above that it's got power. I'm a heavier guy and the rear suspension is works well but the front springs definitely feel soft (If you're a smaller person its probably not an issue).

The 300f has almost 4k miles already and almost use it only on the highway and it not nearly as comfortable as the R3. It was my first bike and I'm already getting that itch for something bigger.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
......It was my first bike and I'm already getting that itch for something bigger.
Which is why I always advise new riders to buy used bikes. It makes buying the wrong bike much cheaper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The 300f has almost 4k miles already and almost use it only on the highway and it not nearly as comfortable as the R3.
What is it about the R3 that makes it more comfortable than the CBR on the hwy?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is it about the R3 that makes it more comfortable than the CBR on the hwy?
I test rode an R3 a few hours ago. Some kid I met from my school bought one and wanted me to check it out. I can tell you that the suspension seemed a bit on the soft side. The bike had plenty of power for everyday riding. I have tried just about every bike in the entry level segment except the RC390.

First it was the N250,CBR250,N300,CBR500,CBR300,R3, and RC390. Then someone will come out with 400,450,and maybe 550. I'm just happy to have a 1/4 liter at the moment. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts