Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Anyone else think that its weird that a 125cc bike made number one on the list. I would have thought some super bike would have come out on top when considering every Japanese bike ever.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I mean its a bike that is accessible and affordable. It also is a great bike to get people into motorcycles before they upgrade to something more exciting.

Depends what you value in a bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having spent quite some time in the 3rd world...I'd say 125cc bikes might be the most widely owned displacement in the world, so it makes sense they include a 125cc model. I guess it's their way of naming the Yamaha 'best in class' or whatever. This is of interest to millions of young/new riders (or just riders) in Phillipines,India,S.E. Asia, Central/South America etc. Many of these guys will never own anything bigger either because they don't need the extra power given the traffic/riding environment or it's not in the budget. When I was in Brazil some years ago, I said I had a Ducati Monster 620 and I shrugged and said it was kind of a small bike in the states...they laughed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Having spent quite some time in the 3rd world...I'd say 125cc bikes might be the most widely owned displacement in the world, so it makes sense they include a 125cc model. I guess it's their way of naming the Yamaha 'best in class' or whatever. This is of interest to millions of young/new riders (or just riders) in Phillipines,India,S.E. Asia, Central/South America etc. Many of these guys will never own anything bigger either because they don't need the extra power given the traffic/riding environment or it's not in the budget. When I was in Brazil some years ago, I said I had a Ducati Monster 620 and I shrugged and said it was kind of a small bike in the states...they laughed.
That sure does make sense, never realized how much 125's were used world wide and going with that knowledge it sure does make sense to make it available.

Also seeing the trend in the american market, it seems like we could see more and more of them showing up from other brands.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So the best is the same as the most widely used? While that is a great thing, I think that the best bike could be available to many or few. That doesn't make a bike good or not in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that they were naming the Yamaha, best Japanese sportbike (pound for pound, dollar for dollar) at that displacement. Obviously, it's not going to compete with 600's and the like. Most of the world doesn't have the highway system we do so there isn't a need for large displacement sportbikes on crowded secondary streets. Many 3rd world riders are interested in these types of comparisons/rankings as it relates to the size of bike they are likely to purchase.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the best is the same as the most widely used? While that is a great thing, I think that the best bike could be available to many or few. That doesn't make a bike good or not in my opinion.
Its the best bike because its the one that gets people riding in the first place. What use are the bigger bikes if you never even began in the first place? Superfluous they are...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Its the best bike because its the one that gets people riding in the first place. What use are the bigger bikes if you never even began in the first place? Superfluous they are...
That is very true, at least with the smaller range bikes you can easily get used to it and really stretch it out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would love to have a Yamaha 125 sport bike. The wet weight is 308 lbs! Top speed is 70 mph or a little more. I would even take it on a Texas freeway. Yamaha makes a bunch of good bikes, arguably the best line of sport bikes. The R3 should be wildly popular.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would love to have a Yamaha 125 sport bike. The wet weight is 308 lbs! Top speed is 70 mph or a little more. I would even take it on a Texas freeway. Yamaha makes a bunch of good bikes, arguably the best line of sport bikes. The R3 should be wildly popular.
Along with the R25...but i'm not sure if it will be as available as the R3 is, seems like the R25 is more for developing markets and the R3 for the more well established ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts