Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this on a Thai forum.

The OEM parts list that will make a CBR250 into the 286cc that the CBR300 has.

8,553 baht = 210 Euro.

Interesting.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm sure somebody some where will attempt to do the conversion....especially in Asia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might, for the sake of it.

I was either going to buy a CBR500,

or keep my old CBR250 for the city and buy a er-6f or CBR650 for weekend touring.

If I keep it I might do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure somebody some where will attempt to do the conversion....especially in Asia.
Several people have already done the conversion, and a couple have combined it with the 305cc BBK for a 350cc monstrosity, but this requires a custom piston to keep a reasonable compression ratio. Of course these have been on CRF-L's, not CBR's.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Could be pricey if you need to purchase the whole crank assembly which I assume you would for balancing purposes. But I keep hearing that parts for these bikes are cheap so...
The other thing you would need to change is the fuel map to get the best out of it, again $$$ :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't get the point of the conversion other than satisfaction, appreciation, and excitement within the journey / challenge.

Otherwise, maybe a more logical idea to make the switch to a 300 entirely...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do the 250 chassis, tranny, brakes etc offer any advantages over the 300, or are they essentially the same?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Do the 250 chassis, tranny, brakes etc offer any advantages over the 300, or are they essentially the same?
I wouldn't think so.

@kiwi rider would likely be one of the very few candidates who has made the switch from the 250 to the 300, and could likely give some unbiased feedback as to the main differences from real world riding.

If the 300 were to be a significant upgrade, I'm sure many would have considered a switch - I think.

If it's a reasonable process, changing up the motor to the 286cc could add some spice, I can understand.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the CBR250R (2011 -14) then no, there is no advantages, they are identical apart from the engine internals and fairing/styling changes.

Upgrading from the 250 I remember really enjoying the extra torque of the 286cc motor on those first few rides. I couldn't wait to get home and change my gearing though, it definitely felt more under geared than the 250R.
Apart from that it was more of the same, which is a good thing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts