Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

The perils of stardom

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Thomas M. Daley 
#1 ·
A friend's son just announced on Farcebook that he's crashed his bike. Whereas when I was a young 'un, this would have caused me to hide from friends and family for a month, he actually seemed to think it was heroic and something to brag about, despite the video (he was wearing a helmet camera) showing that he stuffed up by riding too fast, on a damp road, using a very poor line and then getting target fixation.

But the principal cause, it seemed to me, was that he was simply showing off on camera. He was narrating his own video - talking as he was filming. Apart from being distracted, he was trying too hard to look like Rossi, no doubt imagining how bloody cool he would look when he posted the video online.

Made me wonder. With more and more riders using helmet cameras, not just to record stuff should some fool pull out in front of them (fair enough), but to impress folks with their video exploits. There are also many making their own online vlog or YouTube content, thinking they are sufficiently expert to provide us with their advice and reviews by making videos while riding (when most of them haven't much experience, knowledge or skill). While properly experienced riders would have little problem doing this, many of these vloggers are young and inexperienced, also too desperate to impress (like I was when I was young).

I can foresee a day when insurance companies will take a dim view of bikers doing this stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to find that using a helmet cam increases the chances of an accident, for the aforementioned reasons.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll ask if he minds me sharing. It's not that dramatic. He simply runs wide and goes down, no other vehicle involved. Bike is a mess though - KTM390 Duke now well and truly 'duked'.

#5 ·
I agree 100% with both JNO's and kiwi rider's comments. To me the whole 'motovlog' thing is just plain stupid, particularly so when it's obvious that the vast majority of those doing it are so inexperienced and painfully lacking in even basic riding skills. It's just one more facet of the lame millennial/social media world.

#6 · (Edited)
Agree.

I contacted him to ask if I could share the vid, but the guy is such an arse that it actually pumped his ego up even more. You wouldn't believe the guy is 32yo. I ended up saying forget it - I won't bother. It will no doubt turn up on YouTube.

#7 ·
All part of the selfie phenomenon. (I won't say "generation" because I have seen too much of this crap from those old enough to "know better.") I think it's a wonderful thing that we can capture video of interesting or challenging rides. I helped to make trail riding videos back when the camera had to be built into the helmet, and the battery pack weighed more than the bike's battery. I have even posted a video on this very site. But I am taking video of the ride, not of my riding, and if I screw up, I can guarantee you that I will either delete that clip, or take another run at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.