Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the connection between motorcycles and airplanes? Growing up with a father who was fascinated by both, my youth was spent scouring the countryside for dusty barn finds, spinning a greasy wrench and flying, in the air and on the ground, wind in my face. It seemed that most of my dad's friends were pilots and motorcycle riders too. Apparently lots of famous aviators are motorcyclists and vice versa. Charles Lindbergh rode an Excelsior Super X. Steve McQueen collected and flew airplanes (his favorite was a Boeing Stearman), along with his better known motorcycle obsession. Former racers Mat Mladin and Bob "Hurricane" Hannah are flying buddies. It's no coincidence that the world's top selling motorcycle company, Honda, uses a wing as its logo. Wings are also featured on the emblem of Moto Guzzi, a company formed by two Italian World War I fighter pilots. The Italians call a person mounted on a motorcycle the "pilota," a pilot, who is a skilled operator in complete control of his craft...

More: The Wings Tour 2014: Leg One on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very cool write up. Never though too hard about the connection between motorcycles and aviation but it makes total sense. That time was all about transportation innovation. Didn't BMW also start out making planes? Their symbol is supposed to be a rotor, right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Spyker cars are nicer than the Pagani Zondas and Huiyras in the interior department IMO. I'm not very familiar with the Bugatti interior. I can't feign interest for that car.

·
Registered
707 Posts
basically it's up to par with the best from how I see it
now i wish more car makers did more to their interiors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Right. People really have to settle for their interiors when buying cars today, especially considering that's where you spend most of your time when commuting/traveling/etc. I guess flat plastics are safer...

·
Registered
707 Posts
at least over time car makers overall have improved, i know american car makers have improved a lot, it was bad enough that they had the worst design.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My old man was a pilot, aircraft mechanic/restorer, on the ground he rode triumphs, BSAs and drove jaguars. I grew up with airplanes in my garage along with bikes and cars. He actually rode a 1948 speedtwin from Pa to Ca to go to aircraft mechanic school when he was a teenager. My old man has always been into the RC stuff too but his eyes aren't what they use to be so he just builds and doesn't fly them. However, he is 80+ years old and he still rides my 1970 cb350ss with the sidecar. I hope I am still riding in 40 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts