Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong subforum.

Woke up the other morning and my 2015 CBR300R (which had a dead battery I was planning to replace) was moved down the block. Recovered some footage from a neighbor and 3 men used their weight to snap the steering lock and roll it away.

I figured a cop role by or something and they ditched it, but when I went to put a new battery in it so I could ride it back to its storage spot for the winter, i noticed the bike was always "On", no matter if the key was in On, Off, or Locked mode. Further inspection and I realized that 3 wires were exposed and tied together.

So now I feel kinda F'd. Can I ride this bike for an hour+ safely to its storage spot for the winter?
How bad is this damage...is it something I can do myself? Any estimate to how much this will run me?
I read in another forum that a hotwired cbr300 can cause the fuse behind the airbox to explode? Is this a concern for me right now?

I feel pretty bad about the whole thing, so any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong subforum.

Woke up the other morning and my 2015 CBR300R (which had a dead battery I was planning to replace) was moved down the block. Recovered some footage from a neighbor and 3 men used their weight to snap the steering lock and roll it away.

I figured a cop role by or something and they ditched it, but when I went to put a new battery in it so I could ride it back to its storage spot for the winter, i noticed the bike was always "On", no matter if the key was in On, Off, or Locked mode. Further inspection and I realized that 3 wires were exposed and tied together.

So now I feel kinda F'd. Can I ride this bike for an hour+ safely to its storage spot for the winter?
How bad is this damage...is it something I can do myself? Any estimate to how much this will run me?
I read in another forum that a hotwired cbr300 can cause the fuse behind the airbox to explode? Is this a concern for me right now?

I feel pretty bad about the whole thing, so any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
I'm a newer rider, so take this all with a healthy pinch of salt:
I just picked up a previously stolen 300 and its in the same shape. Locks drilled out and hotwired, but once I put a good battery in, it runs like normal. I haven't done any rides longer than 20 minutes, but I've had no issues. Currently waiting on a used lock set (ignition switch, gas cap, & seat lock) that I got off ebay for $200 to come in, and was quoted about $150-$250 on labor from a local shop. My more experienced friends say that doing this job yourself is not terribly difficult, but I don't like wiring so I wouldn't know. The safe answer is probably to get it fixed before riding, but at least in my situation, it's all going pretty well.

Whatever you do, I hope it ends up working out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts