Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dramatic GoPro video captures motorcycle crash with Los Angeles County firetruck | abc7.com

I'm sure there are a few things this kid could have done differently (not taking the turn so wide, slowing down around a blind curve, etc). It looks like he is on an FZ-07. I'm probably making some assumptions here about whether or not this is his first bike, but he mentions in the interview that he only had the bike for 7 months.

As soon as I completed the MSF course, I jumped the 250/300cc class and went for a 600. Thankfully, I never got in an accident or dropped the bike. However, I remember vividly one day as I was pulling out of my neighborhood and making a right turn, I twisted the throttle a little too much. I then panicked and couldn't let go, shooting out into oncoming traffic. Luckily, there were no cars coming my way at the time, but if there were, I would have been toast. I shake my head at what an idiot I was whenever I think about that.

Even if you have been riding for years, there are always new things you can learn.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've caught myself a few times taking a sharp bend on a highway doing 120-130 kmh taking the curve wide and almost pushing myself off the road onto the shoulder. It's a scary feeling for sure. Or when wind catches you off guard. Ya definitely learn from it and ride more carefully.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Getting bored "why" If your bike is used to go from A to B safely why would you get bored. But if your trying to ride your bike like a 1000cc bike yes i would get bored. So obviously you have bought the wrong bike then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are new rider you should really take baby steps when riding, if you don't you will find yourself in hospital or even dead very fast.
Why don't you even do a riding course on your own bike. Doing a riding course dose not mean you can't ride, it just means you want to ride better and more effectively. And a lot safer. You only need is to make one mistake at the wrong time and if a car behind you and cannot stop, that means you are underneath it. Doing all this fancy so called riding make the riding population looks bad.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, and wheelies are another no no for me. I've never done one on a street bike, and I don't intend to. I don't see the thrill in being a goof ball and wrecking your bike or yourself over it

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm a pu$$y when it comes to riding... And mighty proud of it! :laugh:

(As long as I try to stay alive :p)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Looks like a classic case of riding out of his depth. Too fast too soon.

The dude even says in the interview that he freaked when he came round the corner and saw the truck and grabbed a big handful of front brake which made the bike sit up and run wide... straight into the path of the fire truck. :eek:

There's a saying in dirt riding circles... 'If in doubt, gas it'
Probably sounds a bit crazy but there's a lot of truth in it.
If that rider had not freaked out and just given it some more throttle and leaned the bike he would have powered through the bend on an arc that most likely would have missed the fire truck.

At least he's still around to learn from it. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Guys I hope you don't mind me throwing in my two penny worth here.
I've not seen the video however I can speak from experience, no not of loosing control but from an observers position. In a previous life I earned a living as a motorcycle instructor and boy was there a change in the demographic of trainees coming through the school.
Way back in the early 80s most of the pupils had their own machines and the course would take a number of weeks to complete the first part then further training to accomplish the second part. In the mean while the trainee was supposed to practice on their own, mainly while day to day riding. This worked as valuable experience was gained.
Then there was a change all of a sudden people wanted to get a licence in a short period of time, these people would hire everything. For this we could only teach them how to pass the test, the valuable experience part did not matter, well to them anyway.
The consequence of this was that after passing the test they could buy the biggest, fastest motorbike available, which a lot of them did, then they found that their experience was insufficient to deal with such a machine and many crashed. Which fuelled our government's already bias feeling that motorcycles are dangerous.
Does this all sound familiar?
Well for those of you who subscribe to the conspiracy theory here is the upshot. Government says bikes are dangerous. They create a solution and due to the average man/woman's impatience and expectation that it is a god given right to have a driving licence the solution then perpetuates the problem.
So now the solution to the problem sneakily created by the government knowing the stupidity of the public, now applies pressure and makes learning to ride a bike harder and harder.
The key here is to remember no matter where in the world you live, they want motorcycles band.
Don't give them the satisfaction. Stop posting dumbass videos of youfacebooktube or what ever and unite stick two fingers up to the establishment and get out on your bike and ride.

Rant over now where is my medication?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man i just saw this video earlier today.. the guy is so lucky to be alive. definitely is an experience for him to learn from, if he decided to get back into riding after that accident.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Guys I hope you don't mind me throwing in my two penny worth here.
I've not seen the video however I can speak from experience, no not of loosing control but from an observers position. In a previous life I earned a living as a motorcycle instructor and boy was there a change in the demographic of trainees coming through the school.
Way back in the early 80s most of the pupils had their own machines and the course would take a number of weeks to complete the first part then further training to accomplish the second part. In the mean while the trainee was supposed to practice on their own, mainly while day to day riding. This worked as valuable experience was gained.
Then there was a change all of a sudden people wanted to get a licence in a short period of time, these people would hire everything. For this we could only teach them how to pass the test, the valuable experience part did not matter, well to them anyway.
The consequence of this was that after passing the test they could buy the biggest, fastest motorbike available, which a lot of them did, then they found that their experience was insufficient to deal with such a machine and many crashed. Which fuelled our government's already bias feeling that motorcycles are dangerous.
Does this all sound familiar?
Well for those of you who subscribe to the conspiracy theory here is the upshot. Government says bikes are dangerous. They create a solution and due to the average man/woman's impatience and expectation that it is a god given right to have a driving licence the solution then perpetuates the problem.
So now the solution to the problem sneakily created by the government knowing the stupidity of the public, now applies pressure and makes learning to ride a bike harder and harder.
The key here is to remember no matter where in the world you live, they want motorcycles band.
Don't give them the satisfaction. Stop posting dumbass videos of youfacebooktube or what ever and unite stick two fingers up to the establishment and get out on your bike and ride.

Rant over now where is my medication?
Is it just me, or can riding a motorcycle be safer than driving a car?

* Limits phone / texting, more awareness (looking around), no blind spots, develops skills to react / respond, etc... :confused:

(Replying to your last question, I took all your med, seriously :laugh:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah this was pretty intense. Good to hear he'll be alright.

It doesn't take a rider to see this guy made some dumb mistakes. Way too wide and fast on the blind corner. Could apply to any vehicle, not just a bike. Wouldn't be surprised if he was too busy thinking about whether his gopro was angled correctly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree that grabbing that handful of brake was a bad idea. Throttle control, as someone already said in this thread, could have been key. also, remember that part in the MSF where they say SLOW LOOK PRESS ROLL?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
a motorcycle can be, safer than a car,, depending on circumstances..
eg, riding my cbr750/4 over an S shaped 'bridge' a semi coming
towards me took/needed the whole road space [speeding, no load]
saw his eyes popping, head turning - no no - pulling on the wheel,
which if i was in any car would have been a head on smash..
nowhere for a car to escape..
took my motorcycle off the road and into the armco [steel railing]
as he steamed past.. that or similar escape route was already in
my mine, as a result of a long term habit [now 'subconscious]
of 'seeing' escape routes while riding..

thereve been situations where cars have left the road and
sailed over a cliff or steep embankment or into water etc,
where the motorcyclist often has the option of letting
her motorcycle go, before impact or over the edge..

in a 3 lane main road a truck came into my space from
an entry ramp, forcing me across the road into and
up onto the center divider,, with oncoming traffic..
if in a car it would have been a head on..

sometimes in heavy rain or fog a crash or breakdown
happens on the freeway etc, resulting in multiple
rear-enders, as the cars have nowhere to escape
as they come upon the unexpected mass of metal..
the motorcyclist however can almost always
ride around obstructions thru narrow spaces
around or thru cars etc..

car drivers can become trapped in long lines of thick
traffic, resulting in degradation of their attention
or even loss of emotional control, leading to
smashes based on sudden reactions when
a space opens up [etc]..
motorcyclists have the option [legally in my state]
of filtering thru lines of traffic into open free space
['motorcycle space'] always starting at the head of
traffic lights and other blockages..
thus there is more likely to be a good state of mind
or even enjoyment of the run, on a motorcycle..
thus less likelyhood of dangerous reactions
of making stupid decisions..

most motorcyclists are well aware of the effects on
their stability and general control due to alcohol,
while most drivers believe sitting insulated inside
their cars that they are still driving ok, drunk..

obviously there are exceptions to that generality,
but generally speaking our more direct relationship
with our environment, the wind on our bodies,
and more subtle feedback as to stability
and movement etc tend to result in at least
a more realistic understanding of the effects
of alcohol etc on motorcyle stability etc..

while today esp, many use scoots and motorcycles
as car economical car substitutes which cut thru
traffic saving time and petrol etc, there are many
who see the motorcycle as more than a convenient
cheap substitute,, rather their only transport
or preferred transport, into lifestyle
and enthusiasm..

so for many motorcyclists how they ride
and what their motorcycle can do are important
in the sense of fostering general safety etc..

we are at greater risk from impact..
even a small bump can destabilise us
compared to cars,, yet this is also obvious,
which together with adequate riding skill
and awareness of cars untrustworthiness
tends to make the motorcyclist better
at predicting and preparing for impacts,
thus avoiding them before they happen..

statistically, motorcycles in all categories
and riding skills levels are more dangerous
than cars, as a bottom line..
the fact that most motorcycle/car smashes
are the fault of the car driver doesnt
come into that reality..

i see drivers who literally cant park their cars..
and/or who need multiple attempts before
making a basic park.. even then many of them
carry incompetence marks earned by scraping
the gutters or other cars or light posts etc,

motorcycles/scoots are safer for other people..
pedestrians are more likely to be seen stepping
onto the road by a motorcyclist, due to general
attention to the road ahead, including not,,
eating, drinking, smoking, texting, playing
computer games, checking emails/facebook etc,
looking away from the road while talking to
passengers, reaching into the glovebox,
adjusting the radio etc, applying makeup,
masturbating or [you name it]..

even if we hit one, its a narrow agile thing
with good brakes weighing only hundreds of
lb rather than tons of steel box hitting them..

older experienced riders attract better lower
insurance premiums, despite general
statistics, on the basis of making profits,
thru fewer smashes and injuries etc..
under 25 riders and novices attract higher
premiums, based on the reality of global
tendencies for unskilled novices to have
smashes/crashes during that phase..

so as to relative safety,, all else aside,
there is a safer phase, or motorcycling,
and a more dangerous, phase..

basically, the motorcycle can be, safer,
incl in head on situations etc, due to its
small size and ability to pass thru small
spaces/escape routes..
and it can be safer again depending on
the ability, skill and attitude to riding
of the motorcyclist herself...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yep! Defo! Bikes before cars in the safety stakes. Agree whole heartedly with the statements of the previous commentators.
Now when they bring out the fully automated car, that thinks for it self and drives according to the conditions this will be a major contribution to us riders safety.
Lets face it, A car that recognised a lane change and indicates. One that adheres to the speed limits. Doesn't run red lights. takes action to prevent a collision with other road users, has got to be good.
It can't do any worse that these DAMFs (Dumb @** MOFOs) I get to share the roads with everyday.

Ride safe now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts