Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We just rebuilt the engine and installed it back onto the bike. It will turn over and idle just fine, but will not accept any input from the throttle without dying. We think it might be a computer issue? Does anyone have any input on what we could try or suggestions for something we may have missed?

P.S. The engine light is also on while the bike is running. We figure it just needs to run for bit to reset everything.

It sounds great and there is no leaking, so I think we are on the right track!

Here is a video of us killing it with the throttle:

P.P.S. The video shows it dying upon start a couple of times. That was the first time it did that the whole day. Usually it started right up and idled just fine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
With out seeing the bike it's going to be tough -but off the top of my head it just might be you forgot to plug something in of crossed a plug-if the TPS sensor is not plugged in the bike would do just as you said and would show a code

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

We will go back through and check the wire connections. It was 3am by the time we were plugging stuff in and trying to start it. Hopefully that is the culprit..

Will report back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not with the bike at the moment. Do you happen to know if one of these is the connector. Pulled from a video of another bike and it looks like these two connectors could possibly get mixed up.

Automotive lighting Hood Gesture Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No luck. Everything was plugged in correctly. We went back through and re-seated all of the electrical plugs just to make sure.

We will be taking it to a shop to see if it's something that they have to do with a computer or if we missed something silly.

Thanks for the help though! I will update on what we find out.

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
Sorry I dont have a good knowledge of trouble shooting EFI engine issues as I've never really had much trouble with my bikes. A dealer will be able to plug in to it and potentially save you a lot of head scratching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you can get the bike to "blink" the trouble code by jumpering two pins in the diagnostic connector. Just an idea if you want to try there before the hassle and expense of a dealer visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Took it to the shop. The techs were busy and couldn't show me exactly which connection, but the guy at the counter said that I had either crossed a connection or didn't fully plug it in. Apparently it controls like 3 different sensors, with the throttle sensor included. I'm thinking it was crossed? because we went through and everything was plugged in.

Lesson learned...use colored tape or something to mark the wires. Don't cowboy it up like we did 🤠

They took pity on me since we worked so hard to rebuild it ourselves. Only charged $40 for it to go onto the diagnostic machine and fix.

All in all, we spent about $360 total for parts and this shop visit to get it up and running again. It sounds strong and we will be breaking it in over the next week.

Thank you all for your input! Take it easy and be safe <3

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
Glad you got the result. Wouldn't beat yourself up too much, sometimes the factories stuff up too. When I went to pick up my new Aprilia 660 the guys in the shop had been working on it all day and were tearing their hair out cos it would start, run a few seconds and then die. As I was sitting in the customer services lounge about 4.30pm sweating that I'd got a 'friday afternoon (lemon) bike' I heard a round of cheering go up from the workshop area. Turned out a sensor connection had not been pushed all the way home at the factory. Simple as that. 9000km later it hasn't missed a beat.

Enjoy your ride now its running again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts