Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:serious: Shakespeare said something like that, been lurking on the site for quite a while trying to work out the answer to just that question.
My problem is I all ready have a bike I really love, it ergonomically fit's me like a glove, something that hardly ever happens, so what is this perfect fit bike you ask, a dinky little Yamaha Scorpio 225cc.:nerd:
Under powered, uncomfortable seat, and the headlight dims in time with the indicators but in spite of all that [and that's only a fraction of it's negatives] it's the funnest bike I've ever had. bought it for $750 just to have some fun with and liked it so much I ended up selling my DL650 V-strom which I had for 13 years and 96000 km. but I would like just a bit more get up and go while keeping the light throw around fun feel so I started looking what other light weight upright riding positions bikes were in the market.
The Cb300F was pretty much it, took a couple of test rides and sadly the rideing position wasnt my pefect fit and to raise the bars didn't look possible with all the cables and hoses having next to no free play. but then I saw JimShortz post on how you can raise the bars and had new hope so last weekend when a 2016 CB300f with only 529km and priced at only $3400 came up for sale the "to buy or not to buy" was no longer the question.
So after riding 400cc 450cc 500cc 650cc 750cc over 37 years and 8 bikes, some good some great and others that were bricks it comes down to a yamy 225 or a honda 300. the smallest cc bikes I've ever owned go figure ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the Cb300F and in my own personal opinion it is the least amount of power that I would feel safe on the freeway (I would not want a bike with less torque and HP). Sometimes a maniac in a car will come blasting down the freeway at over 95 mph and get right on your rear bumper so i like to have some torque in reserve to quickly get out of the way.

And the fuel economy is fantastic. I just fueled up today and calculated 74 miles per gallon (I had 208 miles on tank and pumped 2.78 gallons) and this tank was about 60% freeway cruising between 70 - 75 mph with brief accelerations up to 90 mph for passing.

you may also want to consider the CBR500 or CB500F which gets almost the same fuel economy as the 300 (So they say)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Cb3..... I know what you mean about coming down the big cc ladder. My two bikes came down to the CBR300r and the CBR500. I’m pretty happy with my 300 choice.

This week the CBR300 hauled my wife and I all over the black hills of South Dakota. My decision was between the two was decided by the analog tachometer on the 300....

Still, I was looking at those Scorpio specs ( it’s not available in the US) and it looks pretty close to what the 300 has to offer. I’d be interested in how you feel the bikes feel compared to each other.

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Welcome to the site. Funnily enough the guy that bought my old CBR300 had been previously riding a Scorpion 225, a bike I had never heard of. He came back with a big grin on his dial after test riding the CBR so I'm guessing it was a bit of a step up for the young fella.

Out Northern friends probably wont realise that there's not too much freeway action going on down Tasmania so I'm sure the CB will be ample for your island riding. Enjoy bike number 10. :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
with your experience you will learn the new motorcycle and its ergos pretty quickly.. for me coming from larger bikes cbr250r then cbr300r fit almost like gloves,, adding yoshi rear set plates finished off my seating position [5'7" prefer semi-cafe positions]..
[what feels like too low or high can be down to habits and usually open to adjustments, as in relaxing into the new ride ergos,, also worthwhile adjusting all levers etc to suit yourself]

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the Cb300F and in my own personal opinion it is the least amount of power that I would feel safe on the freeway (I would not want a bike with less torque and HP). Sometimes a maniac in a car will come blasting down the freeway at over 95 mph and get right on your rear bumper so i like to have some torque in reserve to quickly get out of the way.
More often, in my case, I'm surprised by a bike (or a gaggle of bikes) blowing by me in the left lane out of nowhere. Agree this is the lower limit for me w.r.t size/power (at least for American highways).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've now had my butt on the CB300F for 300+ km, power is certainly better but not as bigger margin as I expected given the Scorpio 225 is only 18 hp and 17.5 N-m compared to the cb300f 30.4 hp and 27 N-m and when it comes to tight U-turns the scorpio is way in front, it's turn lock is much tighter as they didnt have to worry about the bars hitting the tank. Out rideing in wet after dark the other night I sure appreciated the cb300 head light compared to the Scorpios 4 candle power [and I think 3 of them blew out in the wind] headlight, in the horn department it's the scorpio, cb300 little "parp" is no match for the duel horns of the Scorpio, those Indonesia riders really wanted to be heard.
Most people have never heard or seen the little Scorpio, I get alot of peple checking it out wondering what make it is, only sold here in OZ from 2007 to 2010.
I have to admit I'm still undecided as to which will remain but I;m in no hurry to sell either until I really get to know the cb300f so lots more riding in the future. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts