Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a college student looking to buy my first motorcycle, I have about 5 grand left over from scholarships that I got back from the college, and I wanted to buy a motorcycle because I always thought it would be fun and it would cut the money I spend on gas in half.

The main motorcycle I was looking at was the CBR300R or CB300F because it has good gas mileage, it's not too expensive and it looks pretty nice. My Mom's boyfriend, who has been riding since he was 9 and has mainly ridden cruisers think that I'll get bored with a 300 really quickly and that I should get something at least a 500cc. I've thought about maybe the CBR500R but that might be out of my price range depending on the dealerships around my place and if I can get it used or not.

So my main question is, is it worth it getting the CBR300R, do most riders get bored with something that has that kind of power? Are there any other kind of motorcycles I should look into getting with my kind of budget (Looking for a motorcycle that I can fill up every 180-200 miles so need a range above that)? What kind of things should I look out for when buying a motorcycle?

Btw, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I do have my motorcycle endorsement, I got it from a safety course.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like most things, once you get familiar with it you want something faster and sexier. Bikes, cars, girlfriend and the list goes on.

I'd take a moment to go over again why you want a motorcycle. Sounds like economics play a large factor with the price and mileage of the bike. The 300 fits nicely here.

It's your first bike. 300 is probably a good option as it's light and forgiving. When a heavy bike wants to tip over it's going to tip over.

Do you have to jockey it around anywhere? I've found myself in some tight parking spots and I can lift the back end of my 300 enough to drag it around easily.

I think the biggest factor of course is how you ride. I commute in Bangkok traffic so light and nimble is good. I don't ride with others that often so I don't envy my friends bigger bikes or have to hear dumb jokes about my hamster powered ride.

Lastly, it's no cruiser bike. An 800cc is on the smaller end of cruiser bikes because they need all that power just to move around.

Take one for a spin. I'll bet the 300 goes faster than you want to go. You will want something faster one day as did I so I made some small modifications to give me more zip on the city streets.

Mom's bf will have some great advice when it comes to riding but in this instance you are the one that has to ride it everyday.

·
Registered
96 Posts
from the new rider perspective these are some of the best bikes on the market currently to start out with, suggest ride it for at least a year or two years would be better & then consider if you need an upgrade or keep it & upgrade anyway whatever works

next consideration is what roads will you be traveling, either the cbr300 or the cb300 is a good in town or back roads bike but is no cruiser for like a super slab, does not mean it can't do it but is not the best choice if is necessary to frequent such roads

from an economy perspective the first two tank fulls so far on 87 I got 77.5 mpg, the next tank on 93 got 73 mpg, I'll report back on the 89 which is what is currently in the tank, anyway not bad fuel economy but is not my major consideration

you did not state your size & weight but that is a consideration for the choice of bike, it's hard to get into trouble on this bike so is somewhat forgiving considering riding skill level, a 500 not so much, the 300 you can manhandle it some the 500 not so much

300cc to 400cc always seemed is a good size & weight to start out with for most, not too small & not too large, being single cylinder you get better mpg,

ride safe

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
3k miles on mine and about 6 months ownership... Nah, not bored yet. So many aspects to master and work on.

Am I anxious to jump up to something more sporty and powerful? Yeah, but I'm still continuing to learn and understand my 300R.

I bet a countless number people jump out of this kind of bike too quick and without understanding how to get the max out of it.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
62 Posts
your posting this question on the 300r forum so you will get biased answers!

I own one and really do enjoy the bike. In retrospect though, I would have have got the Yamaha r3 because it has a LOT more power and is not too much more.

Make no mistake, if you get the 300r your will love it, but I would get the R3 or the cbr500r if I were you. Both those bikes have a lot more power, and will give you more time to grow into.

Either way you can't go wrong though, all will be good fun :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently watched a review of the cbr300, R3, ninja 250, and Ktm rc390, and although the cbr300r was the least powerful of the four, it's also the least expensive, and has the best brakes and suspension of them all. For the racetrack, choosing something with more power is the way to go, but for everyday use, the cbr300r will be perfect for you

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I'm a college student looking to buy my first motorcycle, I have about 5 grand left over from scholarships that I got back from the college, and I wanted to buy a motorcycle because I always thought it would be fun and it would cut the money I spend on gas in half...
I know that many see me as often being the naysayer on these forums, so with that said... $5000 is just barely enough money to get one of these CBR300R's off the dealer's lot, and that's assuming they don't tack on stupid amounts of money for freight & set-up. You'll also need riding gear, insurance, etc.

As an alternative, you could find a decent used CBR250R for $2000 to $2500, and although they are now becoming harder to find, some dealers still have brand new 2012 & 2013 CBR250R's at really attractive prices ($3000 to $3500).

Anyway, if my budget was $5000 total, I'd try to find a bike in that $2500 to $3500 price range. Then you'll still have money to spend on the other motorcycle necessities like good quality riding gear, which you can figure about $1000 as a minimum.

As always, just my 2 cents worth... which some say is actually worth $37.50 on a good day. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know that many see me as often being the naysayer on these forums, so with that said... $5000 is just barely enough money to get one of these CBR300R's off the dealer's lot, and that's assuming they don't tack on stupid amounts of money for freight & set-up. You'll also need riding gear, insurance, etc.

As an alternative, you could find a decent used CBR250R for $2000 to $2500, and although they are now becoming harder to find, some dealers still have brand new 2012 & 2013 CBR250R's at really attractive prices ($3000 to $3500).

Anyway, if my budget was $5000 total, I'd try to find a bike in that $2500 to $3500 price range. Then you'll still have money to spend on the other motorcycle necessities like good quality riding gear, which you can figure about $1000 as a minimum.

As always, just my 2 cents worth... which some say is actually worth $37.50 on a good day. :D
Well I have thought about that, I do have most of the equpiment, I had a jacket, pants, and boots, that I got from my Dad, who used to ride but doesn't anymore. So I just need a helmet and some gloves. As for pricing I've definitely got to do some bargain hunting and that's the main reason I've considered the 250, however, I have found a dealership near my house that is selling it for around 3800 before the dealer fees and such, so I'm hoping I can get a deal there, if it comes down to just not being able to afford it, I would definitely consider a 250

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from the new rider perspective these are some of the best bikes on the market currently to start out with, suggest ride it for at least a year or two years would be better & then consider if you need an upgrade or keep it & upgrade anyway whatever works

next consideration is what roads will you be traveling, either the cbr300 or the cb300 is a good in town or back roads bike but is no cruiser for like a super slab, does not mean it can't do it but is not the best choice if is necessary to frequent such roads

from an economy perspective the first two tank fulls so far on 87 I got 77.5 mpg, the next tank on 93 got 73 mpg, I'll report back on the 89 which is what is currently in the tank, anyway not bad fuel economy but is not my major consideration

you did not state your size & weight but that is a consideration for the choice of bike, it's hard to get into trouble on this bike so is somewhat forgiving considering riding skill level, a 500 not so much, the 300 you can manhandle it some the 500 not so much

300cc to 400cc always seemed is a good size & weight to start out with for most, not too small & not too large, being single cylinder you get better mpg,

ride safe
I'm about 180 lbs and around 5 10, from what I've heard the lower powered bikes are easier to control and learn on, which is why I was wanting, but it seems like everyone just says in a few months, you'll be wanting something more powerful, and I don't know if that's true or not, the gas mileage from what you've said sound terrific, because mileage like that would cut my gas budget in half and than some

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
From what I've heard the lower powered bikes are easier to control and learn on, which is why I was wanting, but it seems like everyone just says in a few months, you'll be wanting something more powerful, and I don't know if that's true or not
One of the great things about humans is that we are all individuals so no one can truly answer this question for you.

You want a bike thats gonna be easy to learn on and give great gas mileage??
Whammo! the CBR is just that. Question answered. :D

Anything else beyond that is further down the track... Have fun out there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm about 180 lbs and around 5 10, from what I've heard the lower powered bikes are easier to control and learn on, which is why I was wanting, but it seems like everyone just says in a few months, you'll be wanting something more powerful, and I don't know if that's true or not, the gas mileage from what you've said sound terrific, because mileage like that would cut my gas budget in half and than some
I've had my 300F (first motorcycle) since last year and although I look at more powerful bikes, I don't plan on selling or regret my purchase. I do a lot of commuting to my companies customers within a 20 mile radius of my office and the 300F is great, even going 70 on the freeway without much fuss. 70MPG is a plus. I'm 5'11" @160Lbs.

My 300HP Accord is plenty of fun if I have to go fast :)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post and worth considering, is how long you plan to keep the bike before moving on to something bigger.

Buying a used CBR250R at the right price, one could likely ride it for a year or two and then sell it for nearly what you paid, assuming it doesn't end up crashed, etc... you'll benefit from the fact that the original owner already took the biggest depreciation hit. The down side of buying used is that you need to know what to look for, so you don't end up buying someone else's piece of crap that was not well taken care of... for every 1 clean used CBR250R out there for sale and worth buying, there are probably 5 that I would walk away from. Some of these used two and three year old 250R's are already on the 3rd owner, and they look it too.

Whereas buying a new current model year CBR300R at full price, and then selling or trading it in a year or two, you will be the one who has to eat that initial depreciation, which will be upwards of $2000.

The middle ground would be finding that new, non-current '12 - '13 CBR250R at a great discounted price (and which will come with a full 12 month factory warranty). If I were in the OP's situation, this is probably the route I would go.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know that many see me as often being the naysayer on these forums, so with that said... $5000 is just barely enough money to get one of these CBR300R's off the dealer's lot, and that's assuming they don't tack on stupid amounts of money for freight & set-up. You'll also need riding gear, insurance, etc. :D
This is true. With this being your first bike, there will likely be eye-opening expenses to owning a motorcycle. Even if you pay $5,000 OTD, you have to consider lots of additional costs.

I think if $5,000 is your budget, and you are seriously considering a middleweight bike, as opposed to a beginner bike, you may want to look at buying used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts