Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my matte black and yellow cbr. I'm a noob when it comes to care for a bike but I'm worried about scratching the tank with my zipper. Any thoughts on what type of tank pad goes with a matte black finish?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For me..what I found was clear Mac-Tac from a hardware store. Cut to size/shape you want and stick it to the tank. When you want to remove it use some Spray9. or WD 40.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I had the dealer fit a clear pad before delivery. Looks fine and does its job. Wish I'd done it myself though, because they got a couple of air bubbles underneath, which annoys me a little.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
This is just me, but I didn't bother with a tank sticker, and I just try to be careful with preventing any harsh or aggressive materials, chains, and zippers from coming into contact with the tank. It looked good throughout my ownership, and I was worried about scratches too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is just me, but I didn't bother with a tank sticker, and I just try to be careful with preventing any harsh or aggressive materials, chains, and zippers from coming into contact with the tank. It looked good throughout my ownership, and I was worried about scratches too.
Same here, I'm not one to lean up against the tank like I'm racing. Usually I'm slightly leaned forward, but mostly upright. However, if I did lean over, I would probably opt to get one. Just to avoid scratches.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If you care about the paint put one on. Sh** happens as they say, and I promise when you DO scratch your tank, it will have been an accident and you won't be thrilled.

TechSpec Snake Skin Center Tank Pad - RevZilla

Wife has the Tank Pro 90 in Snakeskin on her CB300F. My personal recommendation anyways as far as product is concerned.
This does make sense... Better to be safe than sorry, I suppose.

Someone mentioned a clear sticker option - That may be a more appealing solution as long is it doesn't yellow after time passes.

Good idea to search options out there to see what works best if one wants to opt for that sticker protection...

My thought is that you can only protect the bike so much. I try not to wear heavy and aggressive clothing with my bike - Sometimes the protective gear can be that way though, so I can understand.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Definitely depends how you ride. Once you start cornering more aggressively you need to be over your tank for proper weight distribution when entering the turn. I only ride that way 15% of the time or so, but I have definitely scratched my tank by accident numerous times that way. Finally smartened up and got the tank protector. I'm not a fan of clear, to me it can look tacky.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
tank pads have been part of motorcycling for a long time
based on good practical reasons, so take advantage of
accumulated motorcycling experience..

at the least tank pads will actually protect against
scratching, which does not need to be hard metal
things but can be basic riding clothing, scratching
thru ongoing repetition of normal movements..

tank pads also indicate that you take care of
your motorcycle, not such a bad thing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts