Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is self-supported touring with this little bike possible? You know - the kind of travelling when you take everything needed for survival with you.
No more should's and maybe's. I've just returned from a five-day camping trip (more about that in an upcoming post). Now I can say with certain authority that yes - it is possible...just about squeaking through:

- the rear rack is relatively narrow, so it took a good number of bungee cords and ropes to tie everything together solidly enough.
- the right soft pannier couldn't be expanded, because it would touch the muffler, thus missing those 20% of extra space.
- the pillion seat is not very large (deep), so with a small duffel bag on it (and the rear rack loaded) it interferes with the driver's seat, pushing the driver against the gas tank, and forcing him/her to sit on the narrower part of the seat.
- once the bike is fully loaded, it's difficult...nay impossible...to back up the bike in a parking lot as there is nothing in the rear to hold it by. It has to be duck-walked.

Of course, despite these challenges the main thing is that it can be done. The fully-loaded bike handles very well and the fuel consumption
I got was between 3 to 3.5 litres per 100 km.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome! Could you give us a rundown of what products you have installed? I'm mostly interested in knowing which soft panniers and rack you have installed. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Great report and photos Michael. You dam near got the kitchen sink on there huh. :D

I've done a ton of self sufficient touring over the years but not on my CBR's, nice to know it can be done.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Could you give us a rundown of what products you have installed? I'm mostly interested in knowing which soft panniers and rack you have installed. Thanks!
I have Kapra soft and expandable panniers. I think they cost 100 bucks. As there is no pannier rack, I use bungee cords stretched between the pillion footpags and the rear rack to prevent the panniers from interfering with the rear wheel. The rear rack is the one from bikerzbits.com for CBR300.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great report and photos Michael. You dam near got the kitchen sink on there huh. :D

I've done a ton of self sufficient touring over the years but not on my CBR's, nice to know it can be done.
Kiwi, I have to say - in regards to stuff taken along - there was no "fat" except these items: a bug net (not needed). My justification for packing it was when the black fly season is on, they can drive you mad. Fortunately, the campground was right by a huge and cold lake and the breeze was keeping bugs away.
a large tarp - large enough to cover the whole picnic table. It was needed as the last night rain came.
Both of these items filled a smallish backpack. They were light though.
All the other stuff was necessary.
I also took along a back support (Obus Ultra Forme Backrest). It's easy to carry as it's flat. My back really likes it and I simply wouldn't camp/tour without it. For my spine this is not a luxury, but a necessity.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Curious, fully loaded what were your psi levels back and front? Where your tyres in good condition during your last camping trip and did you carry a tyre repair kit? How far away were you during the trip from a petrol station?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! The genuine Honda rack here? https://bikerzbits.com/apk3381200ta-cbr300r-f-rear-rack.html
Any trouble fitting it?
Yes, that's the one. It fits perfectly. The only downside is the rack lacks metal tabs that the pillion seat sits on (the back of the seat), so the pillion seat becomes unusable for carrying a passenger. A couple of guys on this forum welded metal tabs in the appropriate places and thus they fixed the issue.
I don't mind this "defect" as I don't carry passengers...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curious, fully loaded what were your psi levels back and front? Where your tyres in good condition during your last camping trip and did you carry a tyre repair kit? How far away were you during the trip from a petrol station?
Scubidu, before I left I checked the tires - they were at 31 psi. That was at cool temps, so as the days got warmer the air pressure went up. When I checked the tires after the trip, they were reading 33 or 34 psi.
Even though the bike was carrying lost of bulk, it wasn't heavy. I'm shooting from the hip now, but I'd guess it wasn't more than 15 kg of weight (33 lb).
It's funny you mention a tire repair kit. I ordered one before the trip and it arrived by mail the day before my departure. So yes, I had one. It also included three CO cartridges for inflating the tires.
During this trip I was only a couple of km away from a petrol station.
In Ontario you're never too far from a petrol station. Even up north in the land of bears and lakes, you have no more than about 150 km to the next one, which is no problem for this bike.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You need to carry less stuff. My last bike(scooter) road trip I was gone for a month and only carried half of what you are carrying. Had 3extra tires and a gas can too. To my surprise ended up not needing the tires. Went from CA to AK to KeyWest via New Orleans over 10k miles. You'll be surprise at what you really need vs think you'll need.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Scubidu, before I left I checked the tires - they were at 31 psi. That was at cool temps, so as the days got warmer the air pressure went up. When I checked the tires after the trip, they were reading 33 or 34 psi.
Even though the bike was carrying lost of bulk, it wasn't heavy. I'm shooting from the hip now, but I'd guess it wasn't more than 15 kg of weight (33 lb).
It's funny you mention a tire repair kit. I ordered one before the trip and it arrived by mail the day before my departure. So yes, I had one. It also included three CO cartridges for inflating the tires.
During this trip I was only a couple of km away from a petrol station.
In Ontario you're never too far from a petrol station. Even up north in the land of bears and lakes, you have no more than about 150 km to the next one, which is no problem for this bike.
My selective reading got me in trouble so many times. This time it made me laugh. I read: "in the land of beers and lakes". :D:D.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to carry less stuff. My last bike(scooter) road trip I was gone for a month and only carried half of what you are carrying. Had 3extra tires and a gas can too. To my surprise ended up not needing the tires. Went from CA to AK to KeyWest via New Orleans over 10k miles. You'll be surprise at what you really need vs think you'll need.
From what I was carrying, I (potentially) could have gotten rid of the tarp, bug net, and the walking (running) shoes. However, while hiking in the touring boots is possible, it's no fun. Leaving the tarp and bug net out would free up the smallish backpack (the equivalent space). So size-wise quite significant...true. At the same time there are certain "comforts" I'm not willing to give up. I've been camping for almost 40 years, so I know my stuff. I'm not willing to share space with clouds of bugs just to look more cool with less load. I've been camping when it was pouring rain and not having a tarp sentences you to sitting in a small tent for who knows how long. The tarp enables you to sit or even slightly walk outside. The tarp needs to be a decent size, as the rain usually comes with some wind...
Anyway, as I mentioned, the stuff was light.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
What you take and dont take is a personal thing. On my first tour of Oz I carried a blow up mattress around the whole continent with me for good comfort on the hard ground. But I was travelling on a four cylinder GPZ900R so why not?

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks for this thread! I'm going to be doing a big trip in July in eastern Canada, so this thread is relevant to my interests. I'll start a thread in the 300r forum.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What you take and dont take is a personal thing. On my first tour of Oz I carried a blow up mattress around the whole continent with me for good comfort on the hard ground. But I was travelling on a four cylinder GPZ900R so why not?
Hey, Kiwi, darn. Now I have to save money for a multi-banger to get my inflatable king mattress. Sounds good to me :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Kiwi, darn. Now I have to save money for a multi-banger to get my inflatable king mattress. Sounds good to me :D
just got back from moto camping trip NYC to NH4 days. First two day’s state roads only to enjoy the drive. Last day home, mainly interstate.
This was my first moto camping trip and first long moto trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 923 miles over 4 days, camping along the way.
Took the bike on gravel too as road for first night was VT state forest and bike handlers it just fine 15-20mph.
I did not pack a lot but just enough to enjoy the trip. I am 5’10 130lb and had no issues what so ever with covering the distance or any power issues form the mill.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts