Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to my first track day today on the 300R.
It was a track I've ridden a couple times previously on my old CBR250R so was able to make some evaluations between the two bikes.
Unfortunately the buddy I went with was riding in the same class as myself so there was no one available to take lap times or record footage.

The two morning sessions were affected by a wet track so it was more of an evaluation of 'just how good are the stock IRC's in the wet!' Not too bad as it turns out, but I wasn't pushing my luck beyond a few squirms from the rear, the front stayed planted - phew!

After lunch the track was dry and although the air temp was only 17 degrees C (62F) and I wasn't using tyre warmers I was still able to push the bike hard enough to ball up the rear tyre (see photo) without breaking traction (OK maybe just once...) This level of riding sure got the CBR grin on my dial. :D

At the end of the main straight I was hitting 95MPH which is only a couple of MPH more than the 250 would do, but was again impressed by the ability of the single front disc brake to wash off speed in a fade resistant manner. You can easily get enough front braking pressure to lift weight off the rear wheel so that its squirming and chirping on the tarmac as you change down gears. (note: I only weigh 130lb tho)

Handling wise I found the 300 as stable as ever, even with a rear tyre that is two thirds worn at least. It will be nice next spring to attend a meeting with the Michelin PSR's I intend to fit. Watch this space for comparison. Cant beat that flickability of the little CBR, turns in on a dime.

Apart from the pre-load adjuster on the rear spring there's not much else to tinker with between sessions so i sat back and enjoyed a hot dog instead!

In my 'run what you brung' class there was everything from an RG150 two stoke race bike to my mate on his Aprilia 1000 but the only thing that got past me was a guy on a Suzuki SV650 running slicks.
So what I was losing on the main straight to the guys on big bores I was making up for on the winding section of track. Couldn't fault the bike really, more than competitive.

It would be great to be able to race against other 300's but when you live in a province of small population that's not likely to happen.

All in all a great day out racing, loadsa fun, didn't fall off and had a blast. As they say, 'its much more fun to ride a small bike fast than a big bike slow' :laugh:

Have tacked a few random photos on below. Yes, that's me with the safety-conscious white helmet on all by myself as I was miles ahead of the class! - Jking!

View attachment 3737

View attachment 3745

View attachment 3753

View attachment 3761

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, looks like a lot of fun! I hope I can get my bike to a track before I ship out to bootcamp.

Do you plan on changing your tires to something stickier, or keep the IRCs?

Where you using the stock sprocket setup, or whatever you changed it to (I forget)?

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got a set of Michelin Pilot Street Radials I'm going to put on once the IRC's have had their last gasp.
I wanted to put my 14T sprocket back on but Ive run out of chain adjustment, so it wasnt ideal for best lap times but it at this level it doesn't really matter. I think if I fitted a 13T I would be hitting the rev limiter at the end of the main straight as its quite a long one!

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something I also found with the CBR300 on the track was that there was no point in wringing it's neck RPM wise even tho your surrounded by the noise of screaming twins and fours. I was typically shifting at 9000RPM and keeping it in that 7 - 9000RPM sweet spot where the bulk of the power is.
With the 250R I would ride it more in the 8 - 10,000RPM range.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Anybody else tracking their 300??

On the weekend I attended my 2nd track day on the 300. Getting faster! I did a couple of sessions with a friend on a Ducati 1098 who races in Formula One class and he showed me the hot lines and gave me some tips on my riding which helped lower my lap times considerably.
I'm now taking the fastest sweeper on the track at 130kph (80mph) which is 10kmh faster than before. It makes for exciting times being cranked right over at that speed and I'm now getting to the limits of what the IRC's are capable of. (see pic) Will fit radials before the spring.

This was the last track day before winter break so the air temp was only about 10 degrees when we kicked off. For this reason i used tyre warmers for the first time ever. Just gives you that added confidence on the first couple of laps to be able to go hard out. After all that's what you've paid your money to do.

As usual the motor took the punishment in its stride, still finding 9000RPM is the ideal change up point.

Unfortunately there is nobody else at this stage riding 250/300's. There is a big gap between the 150cc riders to the 400cc fours in Formula 3. :(

View attachment 4153

View attachment 4161

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very cool, glad to see the IRCs can handle the track without falling apart. Going by the dyno charts shifting short of redline totally makes sense. I have a couple car events first but will be out myself in ~5 weeks :D

Did you stiffen the rear from your street setting or just leave it as is?

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you stiffen the rear from your street setting or just leave it as is?
I've left it on the standard setting of #2 position on account of the lightening mods I've done to the bike (25 pounds less stock weight) and my own rider weight of 130lbs.

If I was to stiffen up the rear it would be mismatched to the softish (non-adjustable) front end.

Have considered fitting stiffer front fork springs but at this stage I'm still using the bike for road use 95% of the time.
Thinking more and more about acquiring a dedicated track bike to race F3 class tho...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cool, since mine is bone stock and I am 180lb with gear I might kick mine up to 3... with the car I have good idea from its behavior what shock and tire pressure changes I need to make based on conditions but with the bike I am too much of noob for that type of fiddling and would likely make everything worse :p so I will just set and forget it for the shock and manage to some TBD hot pressure. I think the manual specifies a cold psi of 29 but not sure what to mange to hot...

My plan is to learn on the 300 and eventually get a track only bike that I can modify without concern for things like warranty and noise etc. and keep the 300 for street riding. But I am big fan of learning on something slow and reliable first. I am super excited to take it out on track and give it a go without speed limits and oncoming traffic :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the manual specifies a cold psi of 29 but not sure what to mange to hot...
The general thinking of tire pressures for the track is a couple of PSI less than what you would use on the road. This is to increase the size of the contact patch and optimize grip and also so the tire flexes more which generates heat into the tire and makes it soft and sticky.
I run 30/32 on the road 28/30 on the track. Checked and set when the tires are cold.
Haven't had any nasty slides yet :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cool, I will start out with 28/30 cold and see how that goes. Most track tires for cars have a max hot psi. Given the IRCs are road tires, I doubt I will find that but I am probably just overthinking it for my first event :-/ All my car tricks and tools are semi worthless as I don't have to worry about optimizing camber or worry about sidewall rollover lololol. I am used to taking carcass temps inside, middle and outside; but that will be misleading on a bike given it leans over haha :p I even run asymmetrical pressures at some highly biased tracks with the car!

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One day I hope to be as fast as this guy...

Ari Henning, Racer and road test editor with Motorcylist Magazine. Yes, that's a CBR300R he's on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
WOW! Really great video..Thanks very [email protected]:25 minutes....notice a CBR 250R in the lead.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a load of fun. Would be great to race against other CBR300's. Some cool paint jobs there too. They all seem to be running the same shorty style mufflers.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well here in Canada..there was a racing series sanctioned by Honda nation wide. I believe first it was all Honda CBR 125's then when the CBR 250's came out they replaced the 125's. All motorcycles had to out fitted with the same components resulting in the race being more about the rider than the bikes. I assume that it is the same in Thailand.

After watching a few videos on Youtube of these little so called "Beginner Bikes" I really (IMHO) realize how this model is NOT a beginner bike at all. This model from Honda has a better more rigid frame/better brakes (floating)/optional ABS/liquid cooling ETC that was unheard of 20 years ago at a very inexpensive price point.
Time make things relevant does it not? Can you imagine this model being released then? It would have been hailed as a motorcycle far from being just a "Beginner Bike". Although at the moment I do not own a CBR 300 R,,I hope to have one soon in my garage. What a great "Beginner Bike".

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lots of places I can improve on, I think the low speed corners are the most challenging mentally and I need to get my butt further off the seat.
This is definitely a bike that responds well to bum off the seat. In a series of tight corners I'm all over the thing like a gymnast!

Need to wear out my tires to justify getting some radials!
I reckon those Bridgestone S20 Evo's would be the hot ticket for track duties.

That said I rode without ear plugs around town once and it was loud enough that I would be annoying on the highway. If you don't already ride with earplugs a lightweight exhaust might convince you to start
I'm def an ear plug man, always have been. I find it helps at the track too. Keeps me from getting flustered by the sensation of speed and noise. I can stay in the calm zone easier and concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing and where on the track I need to be.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is definitely a bike that responds well to bum off the seat. In a series of tight corners I'm all over the thing like a gymnast!

I reckon those Bridgestone S20 Evo's would be the hot ticket for track duties.

I'm def an ear plug man, always have been. I find it helps at the track too. Keeps me from getting flustered by the sensation of speed and noise. I can stay in the calm zone easier and concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing and where on the track I need to be.
I only have 4k miles on the bike after 1 year and plenty of life left on the tires :( I was hoping a few track days would wear them down but these tires are pretty durable! Will store that recommendation away, thanks! Hoping my target to get ~10 days up from 3 at the track this coming season will kill them and get me more skilled to actually exploit their better grip!

I didn't see a single person at the track without earplugs and I am now convert myself even for quick rides! I find it cuts out the distractions but I can still hear cars, dogs, and sirens etc clearly.

Reactions: kiwi rider
1 - 20 of 69 Posts