Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Just traded a midnight black 2014 Grom with 6k miles for a midnight black 2015 CBR300R with 6k miles. The Grom i bought new and i liked the 300 but didn't want to shell out the extra cash. If i would have known it came with longer lasting tires i may have. The previous owner was pretty short and said he wanted the smaller Grom but he did already have over 6k miles on it. The CBR has been down with the worst that i can tell a quarter sized dent on the exhaust and minimal road rash here and there. The fairings are in 99% good shape thanks to frame sliders. Everyone i spoke to says I got the better end of the deal. The previous owner did mention it was leaking oil from the crankcase cover and he had it replaced, I don't know if it was related to going down. The area on the front of the motor under the radiator looks slightly damp but no apparent oil leaks almost like residue from before or maybe seepage or something. I've read some issues with the motor on a Thai form for the 300f, haven't been able to find anything here about it but seems there's a weak link causing motor issues. I suppose i should go down to Honda and see if i can't get a service print out for the bike it does look well maintained. For now I've just been enjoying riding a motorcycle that can move again and not caring about a head wind slowing me down.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you paid for your 300R (dont have to tell us) then possibly you did get a good deal on the bike even tho it's been dropped and has 6K on it.
Either way you don't need to worry about any 'weak links' in the motor, we've got nearly 2000 members on here and I can only think of two random engine failures.
Enjoy that extra grunt! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The leak that the previous owner mentioned is probably from the coolant/oil weep hole. There's a couple of seals inside the crankcase cover that sometimes fails, which causes a slow oil or coolant leak depending on which seal. There's a long thread on cbr250.net and I've also seen a thread or two on here about it. Easily fixed under warranty or for $250 if you are like me and out of warranty.

Enjoy your 300R! I'm over here wanting to trade down to a Grom!

·
Banned
777 Posts
I once had oil coming out of the crankcase when I tightened the chain too much.
The seal got broken.
Just make sure the chain got it's 1.5-2" free-play (I don't know how much it is on a CBR300 by the book).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
......The CBR has been down with the worst that i can tell a quarter sized dent on the exhaust and minimal road rash here and there. The fairings are in 99% good shape thanks to frame sliders......
If you know what you're doing and what to look for, a lightly-damaged car or bike can be a bargain. Your description sounds positive, my only concern being the replaced crankcase cover. Needless to say, the previous owner could be lying about the leak and in fact the original was damaged in the accident, meaning the accident was possibly a bit bigger than he claims.

Unrepaired bikes are in some ways a better buy than repaired bikes, because you can properly estimate the size of the accident and therefore the probability that unseen damage lurks somewhere. Failing that, a thorough examination should include looking for signs that parts have been replaced (not always easy with near-new bikes). Be aware too that sometimes, sellers will replace busted parts with used parts, making the detective work a bit harder.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
May I start off by saying..Welcome. I think that you are going to enjoy your new(ish) bike. I myself have read some of the Thai 300 forum posts and I will say that they certainly are not easy on their bikes..at all (well it seems most aren't)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you paid for your 300R (dont have to tell us) then possibly you did get a good deal on the bike even tho it's been dropped and has 6K on it.
Either way you don't need to worry about any 'weak links' in the motor, we've got nearly 2000 members on here and I can only think of two random engine failures.
Enjoy that extra grunt! :D
Thanks for the encouragement good to know motor issues are rare. Even Trade!! When I meet the guy i had an extra $500 bucks in my pocket just in case. But didn't need it. Defiantly enjoying the extra grunt. I had a big laugh driving back from the DMV and driving it for the first time giving it throttle for a moment and going faster then the Grom could. :D:laugh::D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The leak that the previous owner mentioned is probably from the coolant/oil weep hole. There's a couple of seals inside the crankcase cover that sometimes fails, which causes a slow oil or coolant leak depending on which seal. There's a long thread on cbr250.net and I've also seen a thread or two on here about it. Easily fixed under warranty or for $250 if you are like me and out of warranty.

Enjoy your 300R! I'm over here wanting to trade down to a Grom!
Possibly, I've read about the ceramic gaskets that lead to the weep hole and that a tiny amount of coolant leaking is normal. Haven't located the weep hole on the bike yet. I'll have to look harder. Good luck getting a Grom, I like them they are nice bikes. I found the CBR on Craiglist for sale or trade for Grom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you know what you're doing and what to look for, a lightly-damaged car or bike can be a bargain. Your description sounds positive, my only concern being the replaced crankcase cover. Needless to say, the previous owner could be lying about the leak and in fact the original was damaged in the accident, meaning the accident was possibly a bit bigger than he claims.

Unrepaired bikes are in some ways a better buy than repaired bikes, because you can properly estimate the size of the accident and therefore the probability that unseen damage lurks somewhere. Failing that, a thorough examination should include looking for signs that parts have been replaced (not always easy with near-new bikes). Be aware too that sometimes, sellers will replace busted parts with used parts, making the detective work a bit harder.
I think the leak may have been caused by the accident. Both frame sliders had wear on them and the one with less wear had a bent bolt which probably absorbed the hardest impact and they partially bolt to the crankcase. Both mirrors have a small amount of rash on them. Underneath the bike the kickstand mount is worn down pretty substantially. And one turn signal was reinstalled crooked he said because the mount is bent, haven't had time to investigate too far into it. Nothing is really noticeable though unless pointed out. I do hear a metal vibration noise between 6k and 7k rpm haven't pin pointed it yet possibly around the turn signal area. I also think i hear like a slower faint rattle noise when coasting while holding the clutch, possibly from under the bike. I maybe paranoid though. I've had the engine shut off after giving it some gas and letting off, i saw a tread on it, so that seems common haven't read it yet though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vibration at 6-7k rpm was the clutch lever as mentioned in another tread, i tested it before and that wasn't it but i guess i didn't put enough pressure on it. The lower rattle noise is the chain, duh. Sometimes I'm a little slow, haha.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Quick house keeping lesson for ya: If you want to reply to four posts in one then just click the 'multi post' box in each post (you will see the box change shade of grey once you click on it) then scroll back up to the top of the page and you will see a smaller box on the left of the page titled 'reply'.
Click on that and whammo, shes all there in front of you in one box. Too easy.
Hope I wasn't tellin ya how to suck eggs there. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the leak may have been caused by the accident. Both frame sliders had wear on them and the one with less wear had a bent bolt which probably absorbed the hardest impact and they partially bolt to the crankcase. Both mirrors have a small amount of rash on them. Underneath the bike the kickstand mount is worn down pretty substantially. And one turn signal was reinstalled crooked he said because the mount is bent, haven't had time to investigate too far into it. Nothing is really noticeable though unless pointed out. I do hear a metal vibration noise between 6k and 7k rpm haven't pin pointed it yet possibly around the turn signal area. I also think i hear like a slower faint rattle noise when coasting while holding the clutch, possibly from under the bike. I maybe paranoid though. I've had the engine shut off after giving it some gas and letting off, i saw a tread on it, so that seems common haven't read it yet though.

Ughhhhhh all of that stuff is so cheap to replace I don't know why he wouldn't before selling the bike. I think everyone's bike has that same rattle at 6k, I know mine does and it's a pretty widespread problem. If you want to replace all the parts yourself go to partzilla and look up a cbr250, the kickstand and bolts are less than $20 and the signal light bracket and related are just as cheap. Mirrors might be a little pricy but you could always upgrade and get some nicer aftermarket ones. If you find out what brand makes the frame sliders you could probably buy just the slider portion for cheaps. Then wait a month or two before you install all the fresh parts in case you drop it during your "learning" period hahah. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts