Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was just surfing away on facebook and saw that some guy has gone and modified his swingarm, to make his 300 look like a Cbr1000rr. What I want to know is the downside or even upside of having this and how Could I go about and do this myself? What type of swing-arm is that and would any Swing arm just bolt right up to our frames? And what about the chain running from the rear sets?

I just love this look and wouldn't mind even getting a single sided swingarm for my bike haha I might be stupid but If it doesn't effect performance or make my bike worst Im prepared for it.

Give me some pointers if you're a mechanic!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have no idea what was done but I would do this. I love its look and stance. You should hit up who ever you found this on FB from and try to track the info down. The tires are definitely much bigger, i'm sure that may effect some things because of the weight but idk.... Please let me know what you find, because i'm onboard. I hate that our small bikes have tires that look like they belong to a bicycle, especially when i park next to other crotch rockets at work. I can just see the "differences", BUT this one you found looks beautiful..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what was done but I would do this. I love its look and stance. You should hit up who ever you found this on FB from and try to track the info down. The tires are definitely much bigger, i'm sure that may effect some things because of the weight but idk.... Please let me know what you find, because i'm onboard. I hate that our small bikes have tires that look like they belong to a bicycle, especially when i park next to other crotch rockets at work. I can just see the "differences", BUT this one you found looks beautiful..
Yeah I'm loving the stance also it looks really nice. I've contacted him just need him to reply, If I'm not mistaken and having to take a rough guess I think that swingarm+wheels and rims are from a Cb650f, Do a quick search and you'll see it looks exactly the same! the forks and breaks are brembo's though. I just want to know from someone who can answer if a cb650f swingarm could possible be fitted onto our cage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after some talk with the guy Who built it, The whole cost of modifying this was £2000 roughly in GBP, Most expensive he said were the forks and wheels, And to confirm that swingarm is from a cb650f which only cost 5000 baht. £100! so this looks good for me as I really just want that **** stance from the swingarm! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Love the way it looks, esp the wider tire and the shorty exhaust. But I question the position of the rearsets. Looks too high and far back for me plus the exhaust looks like it is just asking to melt your shoe or burn your ankle.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
So after some talk with the guy Who built it, The whole cost of modifying this was £2000 roughly in GBP, Most expensive he said were the forks and wheels, And to confirm that swingarm is from a cb650f which only cost 5000 baht. £100! so this looks good for me as I really just want that **** stance from the swingarm! :)
To each their own, but I would have taken the 2000 GBP* he spent along with the original cost of the CBR300R, and put it towards buying a new CB650F in the first place... but that's just me. I tend to go for 'the most bang for the buck' when it comes to bikes. While his 300R does look pretty sharp with the wheels, swingarm, inverted forks and dual front brake discs, in my opinion he didn't get the most bang for his buck... at the end of the day he still has a CBR300R, when he could have had so much more in the way of "a complete package" bike like the Honda CB650F.

Just my 2 cents...

* Which is about $3000 USD at the current exchange rate.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To each their own, but I would have taken the 2000 GBP* he spent along with the original cost of the CBR300R, and put it towards buying a new CB650F in the first place... but that's just me. I tend to go for 'the most bang for the buck' when it comes to bikes. While his 300R does look pretty sharp with the wheels, swingarm, inverted forks and dual front brake discs, in my opinion he didn't get the most bang for his buck... at the end of the day he still has a CBR300R, when he could have had so much more in the way of "a complete package" bike like the Honda CB650F.

Just my 2 cents...

* Which is about $3000 USD at the current exchange rate.
The cbf650 is $8300 in thailand, And yes to each their own, But really all i wanted to do with this bike was switch the swingarm. Its only £50 I've asked him and he had to cut 1 inch off of it to make a perfect fit so its no big deal. Tires will have to be 180s tho. so All in all it will cost me around £200-300. not bad as I plan to keep this bike for a year or two then perhaps upgrade to cb650f or a z800

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Titanium exhaust don't get to the point of being hot enough to melt or burn you (In my experience) Unless it was a ride that was 4-5 hours long then perhaps it will.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
The cbf650 is $8300 in thailand, And yes to each their own, But really all i wanted to do with this bike was switch the swingarm. Its only £50 I've asked him and he had to cut 1 inch off of it to make a perfect fit so its no big deal. Tires will have to be 180s tho. so All in all it will cost me around £200-300. not bad as I plan to keep this bike for a year or two then perhaps upgrade to cb650f or a z800
That's still a lot of cash to throw down for something which amounts to just a cosmetic upgrade, particularly if you don't plan on owning the bike very long.

If you only plan on having your 300R for a year or two, I'd recommend leaving it stock as far as the swingarm and rear tire/wheel. Another thing to consider is that the handling and performance of the bike will flat out suck with a 180 rear tire. Not to mention that you may also face some issues with being able to use your stock rear brake caliper & disc.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I feel the modifications are mostly a cosmetic touch anyway. Bike does look hot, I think we can probably agree on that.

I personally don't have the itch to modify anything, but at the same time it's neither right or wrong to make changes to what came from the factory... Just comes down to personal preference.

Good luck with the decision, and let us know how it turns out if you do decide.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
That's the hottest 300 ever, nice work. Your either into one-off projects or your not, often cost isn't one of the owners main considerations. Its a head vs heart thing and this guys put his heart into this machine.
I get it and appreciate it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's still a lot of cash to throw down for something which amounts to just a cosmetic upgrade, particularly if you don't plan on owning the bike very long.

If you only plan on having your 300R for a year or two, I'd recommend leaving it stock as far as the swingarm and rear tire/wheel. Another thing to consider is that the handling and performance of the bike will flat out suck with a 180 rear tire. Not to mention that you may also face some issues with being able to use your stock rear brake caliper & disc.
£300 is something I can loose to have that look but its my opinion I dont expect other people to agree as for performance I Don't see drastic dangers or faults with it as long as its correctly fitted might not be as good as stock but only minor issue I can live with.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
So i was just surfing away on facebook and saw that some guy has gone and modified his swingarm, to make his 300 look like a Cbr1000rr. What I want to know is the downside or even upside of having this and how Could I go about and do this myself? What type of swing-arm is that and would any Swing arm just bolt right up to our frames? And what about the chain running from the rear sets?

I just love this look and wouldn't mind even getting a single sided swingarm for my bike haha I might be stupid but If it doesn't effect performance or make my bike worst Im prepared for it.

Give me some pointers if you're a mechanic!
£300 is something I can loose to have that look but its my opinion I dont expect other people to agree as for performance I Don't see drastic dangers or faults with it as long as its correctly fitted might not be as good as stock but only minor issue I can live with.
I'm just trying to give you honest answers to the questions you put forth in your opening post (which I highlighted in bold).

It's your bike to do as you see fit. However, putting a 180 rear tire on a CBR300r is not a minor issue by any stretch of the imagination... it is a big deal. In plain and simple english, a 180 rear tire is far too big for the bike, regardless of how 'cool' it looks. And it will only serve to detract from an otherwise great handling motorcycle. These bikes are designed to use a 140/70-17 rear tire, with an appropriate sized rear wheel rim width for that 140/70-17 tire*. Period.

If you care more about the cosmetic "look", and could care less about the overall handling performance of your bike, by all means go for it. No one is going to stop you, nor do you need anyone's approval on an internet forum to do whatever you want to do... it's your bike.

As someone who has owned and ridden motorcycles for the past 45 years, I'm just trying to impart some sound advise to you. I've also worked as a technician in the power sports industry for over 35 years, including a stint as a factory test rider for one of the four Japanese manufacturers, as well as owning my own small dealership.

* Even the guys who think that installing a 150 or 160 rear tire onto the stock rear wheel is going to make for a fatter looking tire are kidding themselves, but that's different issue.

Reactions: tilac and jmerod58

·
Registered
532 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be a function of the protective tariffs in SE asia. These boys can't simply go out and purchase a bigger/faster bike what with 75% import/luxury taxes in some countries...

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be a function of the protective tariffs in SE asia. These boys can't simply go out and purchase a bigger/faster bike what with 75% import/luxury taxes in some countries...
Yes, there are huge taxes on larger bikes in many of the Asian countries. While it sounds like the OP of this thread 300r is in Asia (Thailand?), the modified Tri-Color CBR300R shown in the opening post photos was built by someone in the UK. Obviously in the UK, there are no such large bike tariffs... you can buy any motorcycle you desire. Which was my only point in my earlier post, where the guy from the UK could have just about bought a CBR650 for what he spent on his 300R and all the modifications.

Regardless, putting a 180 rear tire & wheel on a CBR300R just to be able to install a CBR650 swingarm for cosmetic reasons? Not one of the brighter ideas to come down the pike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes, there are huge taxes on larger bikes in many of the Asian countries. While it sounds like the OP of this thread 300r is in Asia (Thailand?), the modified Tri-Color CBR300R shown in the opening post photos was built by someone in the UK. Obviously in the UK, there are no such large bike tariffs... you can buy any motorcycle you desire. Which was my only point in my earlier post, where the guy from the UK could have just about bought a CBR650 for what he spent on his 300R and all the modifications.

Regardless, putting a 180 rear tire & wheel on a CBR300R just to be able to install a CBR650 swingarm for cosmetic reasons? Not one of the brighter ideas to come down the pike.
That's wrong mate, This bike is built in thailand, all the above images are from thailand. And Prices for super sports and other large bikes are almost identical in prices, The Tri-colour is 100% in thailand I've spoken to a guy who owns it and he's located in Bangkok. Since this bike was released months before it did around other parts of the world we kinda got a head start to do some mods to it.

As you stated above which I Simply corrected in an earlier post, This bike costs £2500 brand new out here exactly 130,000 baht. The Cb650f is £5500 brand new, Full payment would be around £5000. A cbr1000rr new 2014 costs 650,000 baht which is around £12,000 Only £1k for import tax so thats nothing if you're spending that much on a bike anyways.

Believe me there are plenty of larger size bike dealerships everywhere in thailand, and if I have to be honest you rarely see any motorcycles classed as a sports bike older then a 2010 plate, so money isn't exactly an issue if you're riding a sportbike out here. people who ride out here don't follow the same concept of riding to cover low costs for travel its simply for luxury and fun. We have 125 scooters for that. :D:D:D

The only reason the guy who i posted the picture of modified his bike is because he enters them into competitions (He also does it with cars) This bike has been featured in many magazines out here.

also to add, Out here in thailand Road tax/Insurance Dirt cheap unlike the U.K. Cost's me £200 a year for 1st class insurance fire & Theft for my 2.5l Izusu d-max. And insurance is not even required out here (sounds stupid but its true) Tax is £5 a year. pahahaha I know it's insane. There I was in the U.k Paying £200 a month to drive my 1.4 litre VW. So that might be another reason why people have enough money to buy near new model cars and bikes out here because we don't have to worry about stupid insurance rates like you and I do in the west. So glad I managed to move out here from the U.K.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts