Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There's a BMW demo day coming up Fri-Sat so I'll be trying to finagle my way onto a R nineT. Hopefully see how it feels.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
R nineT is a quite fine machine indeed. Comfortable riding position, grunty power everywhere, looks as fine in the metal as online. Easy-peasy to tack through a corner like I knew what I was doing. It doesn't, however, stoke my inner hooligan. Is there such a thing as too refined? he asks rhetorically.

Also rode the R310GS (the naked standard R was spoken for that group). I was actually quite happy to hop back on my CB300F, all told. The two powerplants on paper look much the same, but my Honda feels so much livelier -- chalking it up to the loud exhaust, shorter gearing, and handlebar buzz. The 310 powerband felt... Elastic-y. And the tall dual-sport GS frame did the baby Beamer no favors in the agility department. But of course this was all on a short 40 min group ride, damp pavement and all.

The one real big advantage both bikes had over my CB was in their shifting. I really need to adjust mine (figure out how to).

Probably the most eye-catching machinery personally was an '07 SV650 in the pre-owned lot. I'd still like to spend some time with KTM's 390 siblings (there's a demo day locally for KTM I plan to attend this summer) or the Ninja 400, but I'm increasingly feeling (hoping) that the 600-650 range is the sweet spot that will scratch this itch...... Eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
R nineT is a quite fine machine indeed. Comfortable riding position, grunty power everywhere, looks as fine in the metal as online. Easy-peasy to tack through a corner like I knew what I was doing. It doesn't, however, stoke my inner hooligan. Is there such a thing as too refined? he asks rhetorically.

Also rode the R310GS (the naked standard R was spoken for that group). I was actually quite happy to hop back on my CB300F, all told. The two powerplants on paper look much the same, but my Honda feels so much livelier -- chalking it up to the loud exhaust, shorter gearing, and handlebar buzz. The 310 powerband felt... Elastic-y. And the tall dual-sport GS frame did the baby Beamer no favors in the agility department. But of course this was all on a short 40 min group ride, damp pavement and all.

The one real big advantage both bikes had over my CB was in their shifting. I really need to adjust mine (figure out how to).

Probably the most eye-catching machinery personally was an '07 SV650 in the pre-owned lot. I'd still like to spend some time with KTM's 390 siblings (there's a demo day locally for KTM I plan to attend this summer) or the Ninja 400, but I'm increasingly feeling (hoping) that the 600-650 range is the sweet spot that will scratch this itch...... Eventually.
Have a ride on an MT-07 if you want to rouse your inner hooligan! My riding buddy pops wheelies on his all the time when we're out riding.
Yes, I believe there is a thing as too refined. Smooth is not always a good thing. A few vibes of the right sort can add character.

I was fortunate enough yesterday to be given the opportunity by a racer friend to ride his new Ducati V4 1100 at the track. Wickedly quick and deceptively fast. I was pulling 250kph easily down the main straight without using full throttle and then backing off early for the corner. Luckily the brakes are as impressive as the power output!

It's good that you are trying a few different bikes out, best way. You've ridden enough to know what your looking for in a bike and eventually you will hit apon it. I took a gamble on my Ninja and ordered one un-ridden but luckily it worked out OK for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bikes come with all sorts of labels, and in all sizes. I've never ridden a bike that "grew" on me. I either enjoyed it straight away, or I left it in the dealer's showroom. Part of that enjoyment, is how the bike looks. I don't have to ride an ugly bike.
Mostly agree, but in reality, if I end up with Vehicle X, for whatever reason, I tend to find what there is to like about it. Can’t chalk it up to being a glass-half-full kind of person, because I most certainly am not. I will admit that there are vehicles I never learned to like.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mostly agree, but in reality, if I end up with Vehicle X, for whatever reason, I tend to find what there is to like about it. Can’t chalk it up to being a glass-half-full kind of person, because I most certainly am not. I will admit that there are vehicles I never learned to like.
It makes life easier to find the best attributes in a bike, car, person, fill-in-the-blank, and enjoy the best you can. But, it still makes things easier if that bike, car, person, isn't UGLY AS SIN. ;) I'm not a glass-half full guy either. What most people call being "pessimistic", I call being "realistic". Expect the worst, and you'll seldom be disappointed. Did I ever tell you about when I was 3 years old and, wait, that's another forum.. :crying:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bikes come with all sorts of labels, and in all sizes. I've never ridden a bike that "grew" on me. I either enjoyed it straight away, or I left it in the dealer's showroom. Part of that enjoyment, is how the bike looks. I don't have to ride an ugly bike.
Funny you should say that because one of the bikes that did need to grow on me was my first BMW a 1980 R100T -drove it off the dealers lot saying what did I just do I paid thousands more than the same size Japanese bike and it ran and rode like crap-took a while to get it right ended up keeping it for 5 years- the longest I ever kept any bike- moral of the story-I think you get the rest

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
mate long ago loved 'trumpies',, wouldnt shut up about them.. my cb750sohc4 was 'jap ****..
[to me with its racing 4into1, full paint job etc, it was the essence of 'beautiful']
anyway he got his new triumph bonneville, then when it went back in for a new clutch,
and again, and again for a new gearbox, and again and again, i doubled him to the pub etc,
on my 'jap ****' cb750..
upshot; after multiple breakdowns and time in for replacements etc,
he saw the light of what makes a motorcycle beautiful, including reliability,
and went out and traded his 'trumpy' for a new honda cb750 'jap ****'...

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
SO wouldn't listen past "flights to Phoenix are really cheap...."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel your pain.. :D
There's a dealer here whos got an ex demo with 1000miles on it for 9K ready to ride away, no extra costs at all, which is the beauty of a demo. It has the rego plates on it and all the fees have been paid by the dealer.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1943369743

9K is $5900 in your speak which is a really good price for us as bikes are not quite as cheap here as in America. 12K is full retail.

There's two flies in the ointment: 1. The bike is in the North Island about 1000 miles away (further than Pheonix? Lol) and I'm hedging my bets and $$ on Aprilia bringing out that RS660 next year. Which wont be discounted at all!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fine looking SV with some wanted $ things already done, great price. Just approx. 10K miles away from WI, USA.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Fine looking SV with some wanted $ things already done, great price. Just approx. 10K miles away from WI, USA.
Yeah just a touch far to be out of contention! :D
That shorty pipe looks very similar in style to the one on your CBR Sam.
Always handy too if someone has already done the tail tidy as it's generally one of the first mods I do.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That cycle trader is my frienemy....... It always seemed that the bike I wanted (color, price, etc.....) was just too far away to matter <…sigh…>

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
They blacked out the SV650X for 2020:

The stock exhaust can is almost bearable!!

But I've sent out another feeler to the WI dealer on the 2019...
I preferred the gray with the black and subtle stripes myself. There are some really good deals going here on '19 models at present. $3000K discount (2K USD).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
$5149 advertised at the WI dealer ($3200 off MSRP) for that white/black '19, and there's a $750 manufacturer rebate which I don't believe is included....

21 - 40 of 70 Posts