Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is a hot deal for a great looking bike. It's only money. And painting those huge mufflers black is what all the mfrs should do, it really cleans up the looks. Looks good with the silver cylinders.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
That is a hot deal for a great looking bike. It's only money. And painting those huge mufflers black is what all the mfrs should do, it really cleans up the looks. Looks good with the silver cylinders.
Nah the muffler has to go. A friend of mine bought an S model last year and they sound anemic stock. Need to release the V twin rumble from within! :D

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Well, the listed price includes the factory promo, and trade-in value on my 300 was underwhelming of course. Still mulling it over.
First in to say "Are you gonna buy this thing or just kick it's tyres till they deflate?" Lol :laugh:

$5149 is a pretty good price though. Doesn't the Ninja 400 retail for like 5K over in the US? I wouldn't say this on the Ninja forum but the SV motor is a gem compared to the N400. Shouldn't compare V twin with with parallel twin I know, but it's better balanced, has a nicer vibe/beat and sounds way way better with an aftermarket pipe.

Any chance of securing a test ride on a demo?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Shouldn't compare V twin with parallel twin I know, but it's better balanced, has a nicer vibe/beat and sounds way way better with an aftermarket pipe.
That's quite true.
I had a 1986 Ducati 600 cc Pantah and a 1989 Honda NT650 (called a HAWKGT here and BROS in UK and maybe NZ). There is something wonderful about the power delivery, especially the way they accelerate out of corners. In both cases I had an aftermarket exhaust and they sounded great. There is a reason they say nothing sounds like a Ducati v-twin.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Suzuki does do touring demo days that come to nearby dealers but that would be in-season. And there's probably not a decent day to do a test ride for months in this godforsaken frozen tundra. :serious:

I did check the bike out at another dealer today (~$1500 more OTD to the aforementioned bike in WI) for an in-person inspection and test fit. The bikes were very dusty at this time of the year (and holy moly those African Twins are beasts) in comparison to the four-wheelers and snowmobiles. The front of the bike is definitely an improvement over the standard SV650. The overall package looks pretty slick. Someone in another thread here mentioned that they are either immediately captured by a bike or they're not, and that visceral, emotional feeling doesn't change. I feel I'm the opposite, in that designs (especially those I buy?) tend to grow on me in time. It was good in person, but shimmied between a million other bikes on the showroom floor. I could see the bike really growing on me in time (similar to the CB300F).

The SV650X feels like it could be really comfortable for my frame (a lanky 6' and 175lbs). I feel too upright on the CB300F at the most natural feeling position, although I've worked on tucking down and proper posture for more spirited riding and its... fine. The Suzuki feels like a more tucked natural position with all the ergonomics: The clip-ons feel like a good compromise between bars and supersport territory, and my lower body/legs really fit the tank nicely with my feet on the pegs. The bike feels longer, but not particularly wider (this compared to the sense I got sitting on the '19 CB650R, or BMW boxers).

Some nitpicky things feel a bit chintzy, like the non-die cut Suzuki sticker on the cowl. But all the important components look nice. Any of the color schemes they have do it for me, but the brown seat on the black/white combo does look nice (not like a cheap piece of vinyl which was my concern). Speaking of which, the seat on first inspection is super comfortable, with nice cupping action at the rear(!). It needs a tail tidy and exhaust.

I'd probably finance it and sell the 300 on Craigslist in the spring...

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Some nitpicky things feel a bit chintzy, like the non-die cut Suzuki sticker on the cowl. But all the important components look nice. Any of the color schemes they have do it for me, but the brown seat on the black/white combo does look nice (not like a cheap piece of vinyl which was my concern). Speaking of which, the seat on first inspection is super comfortable, with nice cupping action at the rear(!). It needs a tail tidy and exhaust.
Yeah Suzuki arent really known for a high level of fit and finish. I wasn't that taken with the standard Gen 3 SV but the X model looks way better and has a riding position that would suit me better like clip ons rather than a handle bar. Comes with fork preload adjusters as well.

Unfortunately these days you pretty much have to allow extra coin when buying a new bike for an aftermarket exhaust and a tail tidy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That 650 V-twin is one sweet engine. Though not in the same state of tune I have that engine in my 2013 DL650ABS aka Vstrom. Nice and smooth and accelerates hard off the bottom.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah Suzuki aren't really known for a high level of fit and finish.
Blasphemy!! You're perception of beauty and refinement would certainly be changed if you took a quick looky-loo at my 2018 Suzuki GSX250R. It's my "rescue bike", sorta like those sad looking pound pups and kittens just before they're put down and sent to the afterlife. I'd been looking at it for a couple months. Nobody else wanted it, and the dealer finally got tired of moving it around and paying monthly fees. So, they made me an agreeable offer. Poor fit and finish, You Say?? BAAAAH. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Blasphemy!! You're perception of beauty and refinement would certainly be changed if you took a quick looky-loo at my 2018 Suzuki GSX250R. It's my "rescue bike", sorta like those sad looking pound pups and kittens just before they're put down and sent to the afterlife. I'd been looking at it for a couple months. Nobody else wanted it, and the dealer finally got tired of moving it around and paying monthly fees. So, they made me an agreeable offer. Poor fit and finish, You Say?? BAAAAH. ;)
Good to hear things have improved at Suzuki! Funny we should be talking about this as an engineer friend of mine (also cursed with an overly critical eye) was around home yesterday giving me a hand to compression test my SV and he was bemoaning a GSXR1100 he has just bought and is striping down to restore. Apparently the aluminium welds on the frame are 'unbelievably bad' He did go on somewhat so I'm thinking I need to go round and check it out.

Anyways, glad the GSXR250 is meeting your expectations. They're a smart looking bike for sure, just seem to get slayed a bit in the reviews about a lack of power. Hows the handling and suspension though?

Also... still talking Suzukis... the GSXR300 rumor never came to anything at the bike shows this year. I'm sure I saw patent design images somewhere on the net a while back now. Hmmm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes Zeke. I'm talking about your silly post regarding that fairly slick looking SVx. That leads to watching youtube reviews. That leads to thinking how to clear more space in my garage. That leads to hiding another bike from the girl....so forth and so on. If the price earlier in this thread is accurate and one can be picked up for $6kish....I could add a V-Twin to the stable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyways, glad the GSXR250 is meeting your expectations. They're a smart looking bike for sure, just seem to get slayed a bit in the reviews about a lack of power. Hows the handling and suspension though?

Also... still talking Suzukis... the GSXR300 rumor never came to anything at the bike shows this year. I'm sure I saw patent design images somewhere on the net a while back now. Hmmm.
The styling and economy are it's strong points. It's pudgy at 20+lbs more than my '15 R3, and less HP. The bike feels really stable and I find myself able to enjoy riding faster (for me) on twisty back roads. The suspension and brakes are no more or less than you'd expect out of a $4500, 250-300cc class Asian motorcycle. It does nothing outstanding, but it does nothing unexpected either. It's solid and consistently does as I ask, with no surprises. It suits my riding style well, and I'm pleased with it. No idea of a GSX300R, but you guys down there seem to hear about/have available models before we do here in Divided States :nerd:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yes Zeke. I'm talking about your silly post regarding that fairly slick looking SVx. That leads to watching youtube reviews. That leads to thinking how to clear more space in my garage. That leads to hiding another bike from the girl....so forth and so on. If the price earlier in this thread is accurate and one can be picked up for $6kish....I could add a V-Twin to the stable.
Well, you're not getting this particular one. :angel:

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
I bought one of these today: '19 Model Suzuki SV650A

I got the $2000 off promo deal and a free set of race tyres thrown in.
I wanted an X model but Suzuki NZ didnt import any X models last year as they had a heap of the charcoal/grey '18 models left to get rid of.
It had to be a '19 model for me as they have the upgraded 4 pot calipers and this is going to be a race bike. The 2 pot front brakes on my current '07 SV are rubbish even with braided lines and race pads.

I'm picking it up in six weeks time and will convert it over the winter (your summer).
To be done: Pipe/ECU flash/slipper clutch/clip ons/rear sets/full race fairings/adjustable rear shock/front springs +add emulators.

I saw one in the flesh at the track last wkd. The red frame and wheels really pops in the flesh. It's like a metallic maroon colour. So I will keep the rest of the bike (the new fairings and tail piece) the same black as the tank.

Exciting times. C'mon Zeke, just pull the pin mate! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought one of these today: '19 Model Suzuki SV650A
I got the $2000 off promo deal and a free set of race tyres thrown in.
I wanted an X model but Suzuki NZ didnt import any X models last year as they had a heap of the charcoal/grey '18 models left to get rid of.
Awesome looking bike. My local dealer has a '19 SV650X "on sale". I'm not a big fan of the café look of the X and not sure whether the $1K US premium is justified? What other differences am I missing to offset the extra expense? :nerd:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts