Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I did a 130 mile ride yesterday on the 300. No problems to report.

I was a bit worried the bike would be too small, but on roads that were 65 mph, we had no problem cruising along at 72. I was pretty impressed.

Of course, our destination had to be a fru-fru place she wanted to go, but it was worth it

6AB65A78-9DA3-421F-95D9-3B86F6C31A84.jpeg

Reactions: Zeke

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thats awesome. What did she say about the comfort?

And did she hold on the grab bars or hold your waist? I gave a girl a 10 minute ride in the city but have never been on the highway 2-up

·
Registered
94 Posts

And did she hold on the grab bars or hold your waist? I gave a girl a 10 minute ride in the city but have never been on the highway 2-up

I've done two up on a highway before but only for a short jaunt (~30 km). My partner tried a few different positions holding onto the grab bars, doing the "meerkat" and holding onto my shoulders, "the teapot" with one arm on my shoulder and another on my waist, and the "teddy bear" hug with both arms around my waist. I think her preference was the teddy bear hug.

I could get up to doing a buck ten (GPS verified) down the highway but at that point it was really wringing out the motor and I felt I didn't have any passing power and the stock brake setup was pretty okay (I'd like to get better pads if I were to be riding two up regularly).

In other locales where the speed limit isn't as high or if it's purely going to be used in the city as a family commuter it would be reasonable to do two up and still have extra power available as well as be comfy.

Note I setup the bike with shock preload set to position 5 and had racetech 0.75kg/mm springs on it and total weight of the two of us was probably just over 150kg. I've got an R6 shock on my desk which is going on the bike in the next couple of months when I get some time which hopefully should make it a plusher ride.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

she said the seat was pretty comfortable. She said her thighs hurt, but she said she was squeezing her legs against the bike pretty hard. I think that is where the top box and backrest would give her a little more of a secure feeling back there.

We both fit on there pretty well.... I was a little surprised and glad she said it felt as good as it did.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
good start is riding two-up 'as one unit' - that idea..
talk her thru finding her position, position of hips, pegs etc,
then practicing 'now just relax'.. ie, into her position
and, into you, without 'trying to help' or any little
movements contrary to your steering etc..
[nothing worse than someone trying to 'help' you ride
by any form of correction of what you/bike are doing]

good mindset for rider with two-up is to think of brakes and power
as less effective, as if it has reduced capacity etc, allowing longer braking
distances generally and more set-up time or declining an overtake..
or think of yourself as bigger, and weighing 150lb, or whatever..
in other words, ride to you/your motorcycles abilities..

if she will get on with you, thats a good start..
encourage her by making the ride incl destination
a positve thing,, wherever she wants to go..
doesnt matter, so long as youre going somewhere,
together...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I’m not a fan of riding two-up, personally, but that’s just me. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from my ‘85 BMW Owner’s Manual. It said to have your rider look over the shoulder you’re turning towards (head only, not shifting body). If nothing else, it prevents the pillion rider from doing something “helpful.” From your description, you don’t really have a problem with that, but I always like to toss that tidbit out there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not a fan of riding two-up, personally, but that’s just me. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from my ‘85 BMW Owner’s Manual. It said to have your rider look over the shoulder you’re turning towards (head only, not shifting body). If nothing else, it prevents the pillion rider from doing something “helpful.” From your description, you don’t really have a problem with that, but I always like to toss that tidbit out there.
Good advice..... actually.... my wife is the best passenger I’ve ever had. She waits to adjust on straightaways, leans with the bike..... very predictable..... My first wife would always lean opposite of the bike, no matter what I told her. Made for very interesting cross country rides, but that’s where I learned how to counter-steer :)

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife started riding with me in 1980 on a BMW we toured all over the place - she stopped riding in 2015-- theres that old age thing popping up again hence no need for big bike-- but I feel if I stop riding I'll die soon after

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife started riding with me in 1980 on a BMW we toured all over the place - she stopped riding in 2015-- theres that old age thing popping up again hence no need for big bike-- but I feel if I stop riding I'll die soon after
We pull a 6 foot covered trailer behind our small motor home. That holds the bike, so when we get somewhere we can explore. Short jaunts for the most part, or grocery runs.... That’s how we get away with the small bike.

I will say however, my wife was pretty happy with the pillion seat for the 65 mile trip we just took.....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
on aging/riding - today longevity is increasing, esp for nonsmokers who eat well etc..
longevity also means slower loss of basic ability and function,, including riding motorcycles..
also, riding a motorcycle generally is an excellent whole of body exercise,, including ongoing obvious and subtle movements of all joints, from fingers to toes and neck to pelvic floor..
include ongoing balance and coordination according to speed and direction changes,
not to mention ongoing attention to your place within traffic and road environment
and you have an effective overall therapeutic activity for human beings..

insurance companies give better rates for mature riders for good reasons,
including general ability to ride and manage their motorcycle,,,
for those with injuries, just riding - 'low flying' - can be liberating..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for those with injuries, just riding - 'low flying' - can be liberating..
^^^^^^THIS!!!

Without sounding corny, I can carve a corner just like I did with my XJ650 Turbo..... Don’t even ask me to play basketball or hockey anymore..... but for moments.... being on the CBR, makes me feel like I’m 23 again.....right up until I lose my nerve..... :D

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
[or, came to your senses...] just riding, means any ride,, just the backway to the hardware
including slow smooth conquest of local small roundabouts, or any other 'low flying'..

like so many skills and enjoyments, where speed isn't everything..
to topic tho; that ninja brake pedal saying 'my owner cares'..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts