Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took the plunge and ordered from Tyga out of Taiwan. Got their 'moto maggot' exhaust system, lightweight exhaust hanger, and a 15t sprocket. The 2-3 day delivery was the cheapest option and it was fast. Ordered on Sunday night, got the parts on Thursday.

The sprocket changed out with ease. Not sure what everyone is on about with needing to modify the cover, I just spun the back wheel as I pushed the cover back into place and it popped right in with no rubbing once bolted. Still has pull in 6th too.

Exhaust hanger was equally easy, and looks amazingly simple. It's virtually weightless but is surprisingly stout once tightened up.

Exhaust was fairly simple as well. Assembled the new one off the bike with the supplied springs then bolted it on. Easy to do solo as the exhaust is so light. Full system feels lighter than the stock header pipe alone. But this thing is LOUD. I don't think a track would even let you run this exhaust. So it was ripped back off and the stock put back on.

Unpacking the box I realized that the Tyga pipe would only be compatible with Tyga cans. So after finding out the maggot' was useless, I was back on their site for round two. They only had metal can systems listed under CBR300, but a little digging turned up a carbon fiber can than would be compatible with the pipe I already had. Ordered again on a Sunday night received on Wednesday this time.

Got it put on and I am very happy with the result. I forgot to put in the order what side the can would be used on so they left the badge off, but it looks so fresh and so very clean. Volume is way more civil (a little above average for an aftermarket) and the tone is exactly what you would expect from a thumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice job on the detailed pics...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After a full day of riding including 1.5 hours in bumper to bumper, 30 minutes of 65+, and another hour or so of standard city riding I have to admit:

This thing is actually pretty dang loud. It idles much quieter than your typical Harley, but I gave a guy on one penis envy when we took off from a light at the same time. (Gave me the WOT rev as he passed me.)

That having been said, I did notice a difference in how other drivers acted around me. They maintained space much better and seemed to avoid sudden moves.

So my verdict is this, if I lived in an area with courteous drivers I would be inclined to figure out a quieter solution, but given how people in DFW drive it will remain installed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How loud is loud? Would it be comparable to straight piping my stock exhaust? I love the looks of the moto maggot but I don't know if I'd be able to deal with the sound. Thanks for the pics. Do you have a link to the carbon can? Was thinking of going to same route, the ability to switch between those pipes sounds fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How loud is loud? Would it be comparable to straight piping my stock exhaust? I love the looks of the moto maggot but I don't know if I'd be able to deal with the sound. Thanks for the pics. Do you have a link to the carbon can? Was thinking of going to same route, the ability to switch between those pipes sounds fun.
The maggot is insane. Even at idle it pops with ferocity. I don't know of anywhere you could get away with running it. Not even a track. The other cans are all basically the same, just different appearance. Despite being way better than the maggot, they are still loud enough that people walking on the sidewalk 50ft. ahead would turn to look though. Idle is about the same as any aftermarket pipe, but open the throttle and it yells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts