Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I know we have done the tyre choice thread to death, however I would like to ask. Firstly did all of your machines come with IRC tyres fitted?
Why did you change them to other brands?
Are IRC tyres available to you where you live?
How do they compare price wise to other brands?

The reason I ask is this. Well there are several reasons.
Firstly I have spoken to my dealer and they had an approved list for tyre suppliers locally whom they contacted and all came back saying they had not heard of them or could not supply them.
Honda UK are looking into the supply of these tyres for me.
Why on earth do manufactures supply machines with local to production tyre suppliers? IE Thailand.
IRC are a brand that has a long history of supplying the motorcycle trade some 50 years they were original equipment for Yamaha back in the day too.:nerd:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
My bike came with the IRC tyres, they have been fine till it gets really cold and wet then they get twitchy, Michilin Pilot Street will be going on when worn out , I've used them on my smaller bikes, last well and grip well in all weathers.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
My bike came with the IRC tyres, they have been fine till it gets really cold and wet then they get twitchy, Michilin Pilot Street will be going on when worn out , I've used them on my smaller bikes, last well and grip well in all weathers.
I will change mine to Michies when the IRC's are due for a change as well. I always match front & back and never mix and match.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Firstly did all of your machines come with IRC tyres fitted?
Yes, they all do world wide AFAIK.

Why did you change them to other brands?
Wanted to try radial tyres on the bike.

Are IRC tyres available to you where you live?
Yes.

How do they compare price wise to other brands?
IRC's are the cheapest here but I got 35% off the Michelin's on sale so similar price. I got two tyres for less than what I used to pay for just the rear on my Ducati 750!

:nerd:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get stock IRC tires through my local Honda Dealer too..but because they are through the Dealer..they are pricey. I have found a set of stock IRC's ( that are OEM) in correct size's far cheaper than my dealer on Evil Bay (E Bay). Have a look.... (not IRC's but may be cheaper than dealer)

Found this for you..Buy cheap IRC Tire 140/70 17 H Tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk

Also..https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/irc/
Thanks for the links old pal, that has given me something to go on and to compare different makers to see what is the best option.
Ride safe.;)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I will change mine to Michies when the IRC's are due for a change as well. I always match front & back and never mix and match.
When you're ready for that next set of tires, go for the Pilot Street Radials. They are not much more money than the bias-ply Pilot Street's. Big difference in performance though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I changed mine to Pirelli Diablo Rosso ii,the bendy country roads in Thailand are shinny smooth worn tarmac and the IRC tyres would slide at only moderate lean angles.
Even after a 50mile ride at 37c.Pirelli's were about 40 quid more for the pair,but worth every penny.
I can now lean as far as I want/dare without them sliding.The centre has no tread and if you accelerate hard in the lower gears on wet roads you loose traction.
The new IRC IZ-S with a softer compound have become popular in Thailand but I don't know the price.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
my cbr250r and cbr300r both came with irc tyres
and both got pirelli sd's after the 250 took a wood screw
and the 300 based on good experience with the pirelli's..

not that the irc's esp on the 300 with better profile etc,
were so bad, but the pirelli sd's performed better
under specific testing over familiar routes etc,
and in the wet..

everyone seems to like the michelin radials, which were
the intended replacements, until they fell thru at the
last moment and we went for the pirrelli sd's..

an excellent non-radial tyre for general use..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts