Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
So are the Dunlops lighter than the IRC's? What are you trying to work out here?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
folks wanted to know how much the wheels weigh.

The stock IRC are heavier. With the rear at the wear bar in the center and near the wear bar on the sides it was just under 11lbs. Front sides were at wear bar but center at past half weigh 8lbs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
People seriously find some insane things to worry about. Put the scale away and go ride. I'm pretty sure Valentino doesn't even think about tire weight......

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Valentino does. It all ads up especially for such a low power bike, mostly with unsprung weight and rotational mass. But am I concerned about the wheels, no they are what they are and what ever tires are what they are as well. Folks on other tread wanted to know weight of wheels and various tires. I have a scale and while things are off minus well get that info out, some people want to know.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Yes Valentino does. It all ads up especially for such a low power bike, mostly with unsprung weight and rotational mass. But am I concerned about the wheels, no they are what they are and what ever tires are what they are as well. Folks on other tread wanted to know weight of wheels and various tires. I have a scale and while things are off minus well get that info out, some people want to know.
So why not post in that thread, instead of starting a new thread?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So that people wanting the info won't have to scoure a 3 page thread (potentially longer after his post, so 3+ pages) of mostly off-topic or just unhelpful material to find it?

Sounds like pretty sound logic to me... Maybe you could get off your 'this bike isn't worth modding' high horse?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So that people wanting the info won't have to scoure a 3 page thread (potentially longer after his post, so 3+ pages) of mostly off-topic or just unhelpful material to find it?

Sounds like pretty sound logic to me... Maybe you could get off your 'this bike isn't worth modding' high horse?

yeah so people don't have to browse thru all the garbage that has nothing to do with the actual info. This info will be lost in another few pages guarantee. Besides stock wheel weight has nothing to do with the original messeage of light weight wheels that cost $3k. Combining my thread into this thread is like combining an after market exhaust thread into the oem exhuast thread, just cause they are both exhaust doesn't mean they should be together. Now if it were a comparison thread between the two then I can see that but my thread isn't.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Okay, it's back as its own thread.

yeah so people don't have to browse thru all the garbage that has nothing to do with the actual info. This info will be lost in another few pages guarantee...
Wouldn't it also be a good idea to have the weights of the wheels listed in the text of the opening post?... if something happens to those YouTube links, the info is gone and this thread becomes worthless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
May be I'm off topic here. If so, Mod please kindly delete my post.
I come from road bicycle background, and as for tyres, I factor in on the grip in wet and dry, weight of the tyre, rolling resistance, longevity, and cost.
For wheels, I factor on weight, low friction hub, and aerodynamic of the rim and spokes.
Thus I see why
DaBinChe has started this thread.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Here's some more info on tire weights for whoever wants it... if anyone :laugh:

Heaviest set to lightest:

Michelin Pilot Street 23.2lbs
IRC road winner 21.5
Shinko SR 880/881 21.3
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 20.2
Bridgestone S20 Evo 19.8

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
So Kiwi..which above (if any) do you use or suggest? I remember a post a while ago about different tire suggestions ad Michelin seemed popular.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
So Kiwi..which above (if any) do you use or suggest? I remember a post a while ago about different tire suggestions ad Michelin seemed popular.
I cant speak knowledgeably on this topic as I've only run IRC's on my WeeBR's. Ive got a set of Michelin PSR's I'm going to put on shortly. I bought them mainly on the good reviews and price. I was able to get a 35% discount on them.
They sound ideal for the touring I do and will be interesting to see how they handle sports riding as I like to push the envelope a bit at times. :D I wont be tracking the CBR any longer tho, so that wasn't a consideration.

I am disappointed to note that the Michelins are the heaviest tyre as I think on these 30Hp bikes you need all the assistance you can get and everyone on here knows from my 'diet' thread that I'm a strong advocate for this principle. For that reason I will be keen to try a set of Bridgestone Evo's next.
Seems at the moment I'm going through a set of tyres a year which works out to about 7K miles.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I wont be tracking the CBR any longer tho, so that wasn't a consideration.

That's why you got that lovely Gixxer 400.....you lucky lucky bu**er! :) I wish I had one.....sniff!

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I wont be tracking the CBR any longer tho, so that wasn't a consideration.

That's why you got that lovely Gixxer 400.....you lucky lucky bu**er! :) I wish I had one.....sniff!
If it makes you feel any better I have an issue with the carbs and have removed the whole bank at present. I was suppossed to be having my first track meet for the season today... to be fair weather is not great either so not too bothered.

Apparently the 400's (not sure about other Gixxers) are notorious for having issues with O rings in the carbs leaking when aged and causing rich running. It appears many people have gone down the wrong track of changing jets and altering needle heights only to be still stuck with the problem.
I've had good help with diagnosing from the guys on the 400greybike site in the UK.
Nice bit of karma coming into play there as I try to help out folk on here when I can. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been looking at the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

Would removing 3 lbs of total wheel weight make much of a difference while commuting? I'm just mainly curious about the weight difference as it's not much of a consideration for me at the moment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts