Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding home crossing the bridge from the bad part of town the university is in I work at and I see a group 6-8 youths walking on the bridge in the opposite direction towards me. As I approach one for hauls back and throws something at me and hits me in the helmet. Luckily it was only a cup of soda they hit me in the helmet with but at 40mph and in traffic it felt pretty dramatic and heart pounding. I was going to loop back around in total rage but reason took over. Even if it was 8 on 1 I could picture civil rights vultures descending on my town causing riots because of me wanting to stand up for myself.
I just can't understand how life is so meaningless to people that they would intentional put another human being in danger.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Speachless. 100x props to you for not going back. I wish I could be that big of a man in that situation, cause I already know what I would of done.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree. I would not have had the appropriate patience to tolerate that (as I should). I had a guy throw a handful of gravel at me for no reason when I was riding a few months back ......... I seriously doubt he will do that again.

*sigh* nooooooo I didn't do something stupid/awesome/badass, I filed a police report on the dude and went on with my life (I knew who he was since he was a homeless dude I dealt with at the bank all the time)

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Wow... that really sucks.

Good on you for not going back and confronting them. No doubt that would only have turned out to be a bad scene.

I think I would have pulled off the road as soon as I was out of sight of those punks, and made a call to 911. Seeing as they were on foot, they wouldn't have gotten very far before the cops caught up with them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, by the time I got to the end of the bridge, I just thanked god for being fortunate enough not to have been hurt except for my pride and once I finished writing my first post I had forgiven them already.

I don't want to sound like a sucker but there is no satisfaction available in this situation. Perhaps, if I ride with a GoPro visible so people can see they are on camera maybe it would eliminate most stupidity

·
Registered
225 Posts
GoPro's are a good idea. I use mine for different stuff like snowboarding, diving, and cliff jumping into water, but I might get a helmet mount if I worry about something like this happening

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No point in correcting this type of complete stupidity and ignorance. Their mind is thinking trash, therefore you did good on not making anything out of it.

This reminds me of a time when I was on a street late in the evening heading home on my road bicycle (when I used to ride it) and the car next to me threw a empty can or something as they went by.

No sense in competing with their level of "douche". If you have a feeling it's going to get out of hand, then it's better to call the law so that they can assist in resolving appropriately.

Sorry to hear.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
They are just dicks, no point in lowering yourself to their level.
When me and my buddy did our across Asia trip the kids in the far east of Turkey threw stones at us.
Little $hits! :(

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I was riding home crossing the bridge from the bad part of town the university is in I work at and I see a group 6-8 youths walking on the bridge in the opposite direction towards me. As I approach one for hauls back and throws something at me and hits me in the helmet. Luckily it was only a cup of soda they hit me in the helmet with but at 40mph and in traffic it felt pretty dramatic and heart pounding. I was going to loop back around in total rage but reason took over. Even if it was 8 on 1 I could picture civil rights vultures descending on my town causing riots because of me wanting to stand up for myself.
I just can't understand how life is so meaningless to people that they would intentional put another human being in danger.
Well I have 2 great kids..and they play G.T.A. 5 (Grand Theft Auto ) and in the scenarios of that game there is no respect for property or life period. If those youths play this game..I'm sure they do that is where they get their attitude and conduct from.

Reactions: autopilot

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There are times when taking on the bullies and ferals is just the right thing to do, but these days, I firmly believe that walking away is almost always the best option - if you can and nobody small needs protecting. The reason is that there are just too many crazies on the streets these days, whether because they are just bad people or drugs made them so (or both).

Taking such people on can end very, very badly if they are carrying a weapon, as their rage means they WILL hurt you. Fists don't mean much in a knife fight, unless you're a pro, and even then I'd put my money on the crazy guy with the knife in most cases. If the guy has a gun, well.......

We see things like this go wrong every day, when some guy gets cut up in traffic or some other minor incident leads to a bit of chest thumping, right up until it turns out one of them is a crazy. That's when standing up for what's right can lead you straight to the mortuary or, if you're lucky, a short stay in hospital.

Consequently, I always use the rule - don't mess with people if you don't know who you're dealing with. It just might be a guy with a knife, whose girlfriend just broke up with him and so he pulled a bender with his drugs of choice.

Then you accused him of pulling out in front of you or jumping the queue at MacDonald's. :eek:

I had this happen to me once, many years ago, after some guy weaved across the road to stop me overtaking. I got mad and so dummied one way before zipping past on the other side. He followed me to a roundabout then rammed his car (big and expensive) into mine (small and cheap). I got out and walked up to his car when this man mountain got out and immediately put his two huge hands around my throat. He was literally purple with rage. Lucky for me, the woman he was with held her hand on the horn and yelled something about the cops, whereupon he let go and went back to his car, cussing and shouting. He drove away but I got his rego. I called the cops and left it with them. They got back to me the following day to tell me they knew who the guy was and he was REAL trouble, involved in organised crime, wanted for everything. They said they had been looking for him for months and were glad to have a lead, but as far as I know, never caught up with him. Anyway, I counted myself lucky to still be alive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in a bad neighborhood. If they were young kids, you might have been able to at least stop and say, "Hey, you could have killed me." and left it at that. You can still get to a young enough kid to maybe change their behavior in the future. The big problem is the lack of empathy for other people. But if they were a bit older, keep on riding if you can and call the cops. Likely, the cops wouldn't get there quick enough, but I'd still report it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm afraid guys this is a world wide epidemic. The human race has some really defective people in it that would make a good case for euthanasia. However being stupid is not a crime, well not yet anyway. Its not a big step from the disaffected populous doing stupid things to the terrorist committing gross atrocities around the world. We live in dangerous times my friends, dangerous times!:crying:

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I found out one of my kids did something like this, I would be livid.

I realize that peer pressure is strong with a large group like that, and kids do idiotic things to impress their friends. Sometimes I look back things I did in my youth, and I would probably punch myself in the face for being such a moron.

I'm trying to teach my kids constantly that they need to respect others. Hopefully, they learn something from me. Then again, you can't control the fact that there are some parents out there who are either not present, or just don't give a crap what their kids are doing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a SportsCam (1080 5mp with wifi) on Ebay for 27.93 free shipping. It is not a GOPRO but it works pretty good. In any anybody else is interested the seller still has 10 units left and the ebay link is below the picture.

The youtube link is the first time I used the SportsCam, I have it mounted to my backpack strap but there brackets to mount to handlebars and a helmet mount. I think the video looks better on playback than on youtube for some reason.
https://youtu.be/VtFcHAFmvPI

Sportscam Action Cam HD 1080 5MP Wi Fi | eBay

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
SportCam without the "s" in between sounds better, I think?

With the way things are going, I think everyone's going to attach body cams as a standard practice, if not doing it already, lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You gotta blame the parents for not putting the time and money on their kids. Kids are a life long commitment most people are never ready to have children but yet they do for many reasons I will not disclose. Good for you for not coming back, it takes a man to walk away in that kind of situation. Children are a reflection of the parents and most parents are deadbeat parents.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts