Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
If you want faster buy one that does, why do people buy a bike then complain it is not fast enough - bigger engines/more power means faster - simples.

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Wheelin, does it really matter? Even if, after spending hundreds of dollars on mods, your bike would come close to keeping up with some other faster bike, would it be really worth it? Also, as dsimmo suggests, if you'd add those hundreds of dollars in mods to the price you paid for the CBR, you could have bought a stronger bike, no?

·
Registered
256 Posts
So yes if he didnt already have the cbr300 then yes, buying the r3 may have been better for outright hp. However, maybe he prefers the ergonomics of the 300?

But back to the question. No i dont think a pcv and exh will get you on equal terms with an r3. Ari henning was getting 38hp with a 2mm OS piston, higher cr, cams and obv exh and pcv. There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What does it take? The simple answer is 36cc and a second cylinder. Michael B.'s question is valid--what does it matter? Keeping up with another bike really only matters on a race track, and you say that's not the problem. If you can't keep up with an R3 on the highway, you're probably not going legal speeds, so it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So yes if he didnt already have the cbr300 then yes, buying the r3 may have been better for outright hp. However, maybe he prefers the ergonomics of the 300?

But back to the question. No i dont think a pcv and exh will get you on equal terms with an r3. Ari henning was getting 38hp with a 2mm OS piston, higher cr, cams and obv exh and pcv. There is no replacement for displacement.
That is why, but it's not the problem. The real problem is that the quality of Indonesian assembly is P poor. As a Thai, I've more confidence in Thai manufactured. This link, while in Thai, shows the problem with clutch ball bearings. Yamaha YZF R3 ปัญหา ลูกปืนครัช - Pantip

I got the CBR 300R used, in very good conditiom, at very low price of $2,278.411 US Dollar. With only slightly >15,000 kilo metres on the odometer, and no accident. Not even dropped. A new R3 costs $5,140.32 US Dollar. So I have some money to spend on stickier tyres, suspension improvements etc. If I could get into R3's slipstream and hang on while on highway ride back from the track, it would bring cheeky grin:devil: on my face.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Wheelin, does it really matter? Even if, after spending hundreds of dollars on mods, your bike would come close to keeping up with some other faster bike, would it be really worth it? Also, as dsimmo suggests, if you'd add those hundreds of dollars in mods to the price you paid for the CBR, you could have bought a stronger bike, no?
Hundreds of dollars won't buy much in the way of additional HP... a quality aftermarket exhaust alone costs several hundred dollars, and that might get you 1/2 HP on a dyno. Add a fuel controller and a dyno tune and maybe you'd see 2 or 3 more ponies. No, it would take many thousands of dollars on internal motor work to get a CBR300R to turn anywhere close to the stock HP of the R3. And once you've gotten the motor close to the performance of the R3, it would no longer be as reliable or have the longevity that it had when stock.

Additionally, once you do pour a lot of $$$ into modifying a motor, you wouldn't be able to run it on regular pump gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A very good exhaust full system (dyno verified) cost $361.398 US Dollar locally, and extensively tunable ECU + dynotest another $261.32 The youtube clip is for R3, but they also make full exhaust system for CBR 300R.

This clip is lengthy, and in Thai. But you can see the techicians know their stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
If you've got the cash spare then you may as well do those mods you seem keen on as it would be a fun project.
In addition to the pipe and PC you could throw in aftermarket cams and get it all dyno tuned together.
Beyond that you would be looking at a big bore kit but you may then run into reliability issues.
As Mike pointed out, you will still be down on power to the R3 but you may have closed the gap a bit :D

Lightening the bike up a bit helps improve the power to weight ratio too. Esp when you've only got 30 odd ponies in the stable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not stubborn, and appreciate all comments. I'll probably do the Exhuast and new ECU standalone, and leave it at that. Mean while, I await for the rumoured CBR 300RR, or the CBR 350RR.
BTW When I ride with R3, it isn't a war. Just freindly chases. But on the track, it's more earnest.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I'm not stubborn, and appreciate all comments. I'll probably do the Exhuast and new ECU standalone, and leave it at that. Mean while, I await for the rumoured CBR 300RR, or the CBR 350RR.
BTW When I ride with R3, it isn't a war. Just freindly chases. But on the track, it's more earnest.
Yeah I'm waiting for the twin cylinder model too, have stopped spending money on my current bike about a year ago.
It's no fun being passed on the track, esp when your faster through the corners which it sounds like you are. I've just up-graded my race bike for that reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah I'm waiting for the twin cylinder model too, have stopped spending money on my current bike about a year ago.
It's no fun being passed on the track, esp when your faster through the corners which it sounds like you are. I've just up-graded my race bike for that reason.
LOL That's all the credit I can accept. I'm not a very good, not even good track rider. The R3 rider is just as novice a motorcyce track rider as I am. But I have one strong advantage over him in that I used to race gokart. So I'm accustomed to high speed braking, and racing line. I've not got my knees scraped at apex yet, but that may come next time I go to the track. I have paid tutor, and will practice bum's crack over seat edge when cornering.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
LOL That's all the credit I can accept. I'm not a very good, not even good track rider. The R3 rider is just as novice a motorcyce track rider as I am. But I have one strong advantage over him in that I used to race gokart. So I'm accustomed to high speed braking, and racing line. I've not got my knees scraped at apex yet, but that may come next time I go to the track. I have paid tutor, and will practice bum's crack over seat edge when cornering.
Was in same boat for long time. When you feel your getting close just stick your knee out a bit further to test the waters. Once you find it once you will then be happier leaning the bike over until you reach that point again. You then have a reference point for how close to the edge you are and if your as good as Marquez and co. you will be able to lift the bike up with your knee when you lose the front end!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
hp questions seem answered, logic of this or that bike
seem well considered.. as to your basis in comparison to
your friends r3 consider the question; what if he gets
the next bike up in the hp ?

rational modifications have always been part of
owning road motorcycles, if you can afford them,
uet this hp race may be a never ending circle..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When I first started rallying, I used my road car. I fitted a roll cage and sump guard, spotlights, navigator light (map reading), plus a few other mandatory mods. I couldn't afford to do any engine, brake or suspension mods (plus it was our daily driver so had to remain practical).

I did just six rallies in it before buying a properly-modified, dedicated rally car, but those six events taught me more than the next ten in the rally car. The primary lesson was maintaining corner speed - the only way I could attain decent times without a powerful car. I also had to grow a pair, because backing off for blind kinks or jumps would cost me big chunks of time. I also had to learn to trust my navigator, which didn't always prove to be the right choice....... :)

I remember catching some guy in a stage. He was driving a modded car and would leave me on the straights. I caught him in the twisty sections. The end of the stage was also the first maintenance halt, and he and his navvy walked over to chat. He asked what we'd done to the car. When I told him, he insisted on looking under the bonnet. He was seriously miffed to see a standard motor and no twin cam head or Webers (the usual outward signs of a tuned motor at the time). we finished way down the order, but I got a little satisfaction from that encounter.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
That is why, but it's not the problem. The real problem is that the quality of Indonesian assembly is P poor. As a Thai, I've more confidence in Thai manufactured. This link, while in Thai, shows the problem with clutch ball bearings. Yamaha YZF R3 ปัญหา ลูกปืนครัช - Pantip

I got the CBR 300R used, in very good conditiom, at very low price of $2,278.411 US Dollar. With only slightly >15,000 kilo metres on the odometer, and no accident. Not even dropped. A new R3 costs $5,140.32 US Dollar. So I have some money to spend on stickier tyres, suspension improvements etc. If I could get into R3's slipstream and hang on while on highway ride back from the track, it would bring cheeky grin:devil: on my face.
As you know I sold my cbr300 r-a and brought a Yamaha MT03. I would disagree that the build quality of my Yam is not up to the cbr. Mine is just as good if not better. Have you actually spent time checking one out/riding it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ dsimmo I'll not argue with you about the quality of R3 assembly. But you can see from the link on my post, the problem Thai riders are having with R3. BTW the R3 retails at $5,142.68 US Dollar in Thailand, while the 2016 CBR 500R retails at $ 5,976.63. The CBR 500R far outsell the R3 in Thailand. People make purchase base on individual reason, and I respect that.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
@ dsimmo I'll not argue with you about the quality of R3 assembly. But you can see from the link on my post, the problem Thai riders are having with R3. BTW the R3 retails at $5,142.68 US Dollar in Thailand, while the 2016 CBR 500R retails at $ 5,976.63. The CBR 500R far outsell the R3 in Thailand. People make purchase base on individual reason, and I respect that.
Wheelin:
Yes Yamaha did have a problem with the clutch bearing, which was way back in April. Mine was made in October 2016 and had all the updates done at the factory before shipping to Europe. Also it didn't mean a complete engine strip down like the cbr/f300's have witnessed. The CBR500 also outsells the 300's here in the UK, The MT07 outsells the CBR500 also.
I find my MT03 is a lot smoother being a twin compared to the CBR300 I had, also quicker due to having 42bhp against 30 which is what is expected.
The MT03 retails at £4495 on the road against the CBR300 R at £3995. You can get discount if you haggle with the dealer, I managed £500 off the Honda and £495 on the Yam. Both brought brand new.

Reactions: kiwi rider
1 - 18 of 18 Posts