Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wear my vest under my mesh so my elbows have the armor from the mesh while my spine and chest receive protection from the vest. That's just my way of making up for not having enough money to buy a really great mesh jacket that has all the armor I want.

Eventually, I'll replace the mesh/vest with 1 mesh jacket that has all the armor I want.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I strongly believe in wearing full gear....dont wanna be a squid but I've been thinking on buying an armored vest. not sure how I feel on my elbows being exposed though. What's your opinions on vests?
Think i would feel a bit cramped with all that on under my jacket - if it would fit!
From my experience of bike crashes (probably half a dozen over 35 years) Ive never had any impact to the chest area.
You can never be too safe out there tho, If it makes you feel more comfortable in a safety sense then go for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No not under my jacket...Instead of my jacket lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't wear full gear- meaning the exclusion of riding pants and riding boots. I have an armored jacket, gloves and a helmet that I wear all the time, but I mostly just wear jeans and high top sneakers.

It's just a big hassle having to carry the extra pair of pants and shoes to work and change there when my work is only 10 minutes away from my house.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't want to be ATGATT? That's your call. I'm not gonna judge you. It's not my place. I do think you should read this, though, if you haven't already.

Road Rash

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't want to be ATGATT? That's your call. I'm not gonna judge you. It's not my place. I do think you should read this, though, if you haven't already.

Road Rash
I read this the other day. I feel that having good judgment is half the battle here, not just wearing ATGATT.

For example, she talks about the wind that is hitting her before the final gust that takes her off the back of the bike. Maybe she didn't have a good way of communicating to her friend that he needed to slow down or stop, or maybe he was just being an idiot and ignoring her, but in that situation you need to listen to what your gut is telling you and slow down.

BTW, I'm not excusing myself for not wearing riding pants and boots, but I'm just bringing to light another element here that could have contributed to her accident.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

Road Rash
I posted that road rash story up last week in it's own thread, which is a sticky here: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/riding-gear-apparel/5914-dont-think-you-need-atgatt.html

Anyway, if reading that girl's story isn't a wake-up call to the harsh realities of what road rash is, then perhaps those who continue to think that "some of the gear is better than nothing", or that "it won't happen to me", are just the next batch of likely candidates for a Darwin Dumb & Stupid Award.

I'm guessing that most here have seen Honda's own safety campaign slogan...

Reactions: King CobRa

·
Registered
21 Posts
I never anticipated buying so much gear, but the more crash experiences I read the more I wanted to be prepared in case it ever happened to me.

For around the city and short rides, I wear the riding jeans and sport shoes. For longer distance rides and more sporty riding I attach the leather riding pants to my jacket and wear the touring boots.

Icon Airmada Helmet:

Dainese SF Jacket:

Scorpion SGS Gloves:

Dainese Kansas 1K Jeans:

Dainese Pony C2

TCX S-Sportour Boots:

TCX X-Square:

·
Registered
58 Posts
For around the city and short rides, I wear the riding jeans and sport shoes. For longer distance rides and more sporty riding I attach the leather riding pants to my jacket and wear the touring boots.

TCX S-Sportour Boots:

TCX X-Square:

Hey, what are the main differences between the sport boots and the tour boots? I'm currently using the x-square and I like them, just curious! I'm assuming the touring are more comfortable.

EDIT: I love the colors of your gear. It all matches white/red/black. Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, what are the main differences between the sport boots and the tour boots? I'm currently using the x-square and I like them, just curious! I'm assuming the touring are more comfortable.

EDIT: I love the colors of your gear. It all matches white/red/black. Pretty awesome.
The biggest difference is the added shin protection, sturdier toe box, and height. The Sportour are not any more comfortable than the X-Square, IMO. I prefer the X-Square for city riding because they easily tuck underneath the riding jeans. The Sportour can fit under my Dainese jeans-- but not easily.

That said, I find myself wearing the Sportour more often because of the added protection they provide. I bought the Sportour mainly because the inseam on the Pony C2 was too short to wear with the X-Square. If I had to do it all over again I would not have bought the X-Square, and I would have just purchased the Sportour for all occasion riding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The biggest difference is the added shin protection, sturdier toe box, and height. The Sportour are not any more comfortable than the X-Square, IMO. I prefer the X-Square for city riding because they easily tuck underneath the riding jeans. The Sportour can fit under my Dainese jeans-- but not easily.

That said, I find myself wearing the Sportour more often because of the added protection they provide. I bought the Sportour mainly because the inseam on the Pony C2 was too short to wear with the X-Square. If I had to do it all over again I would not have bought the X-Square, and I would have just purchased the Sportour for all occasion riding.
Cool, thanks a lot for the info!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a one piece race suit, boots and gloves. which gets covered over with wet gear when it rains. Also good quality helmet.
I'm a qualified first on scene biker and after the course which teaches you a lot about the mechanics of an accident, you understand the need for the protection afforded by the right types of gear.
No rights and wrongs but make sure you are protected and comfortable the two main considerations when you ride. Different parts of the world require different approaches to these two requirements for safe riding. That and good training whether self learned or by a school.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been contemplating protection for my knees recently. I wear Drayko Renegade jeans but I was looking for additional impact protection for my knees. Before paying $80 for "motorcycle" grade protection I went ahead and bought these $16 knee/shin protectors.

I have no idea how well they actually will work. They do stay well seated on my legs while riding/walking, but there is nothing holding the top knee protector above my knee cap so it's free to move around a bit. The idea I had is that they will absorb at least the initial impact, then the kevlar in the jeans would absorb a slide. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also looking into some armored shorts. I commute to different customers for work and I'd like to wear my slacks, armored shorts and knee/shin protectors. Possibly the Dainese Hard Shorts E1.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an RST R-14 race suit (blue) for when I feel like showing off in front of other motovloggers/bikers. One of my slogans is: "Big enough balls to sport a race suit on a 300!"

I also have an assortment of random clothing for both summer & winter. Probiker PR-14 slim line jacket, Alpinestars T-Dyno.
Trousers wise I have a classic pair of touring leather trousers & a pair of armoured camo trousers.
RST stunt/Street Urban gloves or Roland Sands Barfly & TCX boots.

Quie a collection for a little 300 I think!

If anyone wants pictures I can provide some :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
I usually just ride in normal pants, I'm bad that way........ Getting some riding jeans this winter.

Warm weather/ Cold weather set up
dainese_laguna_evo_.jpg
X001[1].jpg
Alpinestars_S-MX_2_Boots.jpg

dainese_x_strike_.jpg
12601012jpg_00000075027[1].jpg

For those who don't have riding boots, I highly recommend them. SO much more comfortable when riding/shifting not to mention the safety. Plus then you can scrape your toe sliders....... hah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dainese has been good to me so far.. Not cheap but very sturdy and durable.. boots, pants, padded shorts if needed, jacket, and reflective vest.. Went with an Icon Alliance helmet.. no complaints expect the heat here in FL

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I have an RST R-14 race suit (blue) for when I feel like showing off in front of other motovloggers/bikers. One of my slogans is: "Big enough balls to sport a race suit on a 300!"

I also have an assortment of random clothing for both summer & winter. Probiker PR-14 slim line jacket, Alpinestars T-Dyno.
Trousers wise I have a classic pair of touring leather trousers & a pair of armoured camo trousers.
RST stunt/Street Urban gloves or Roland Sands Barfly & TCX boots.
Whats your thoughts on the RST race suit so far? Ive been sent a couple from a supplier to try on for size.
Any wear or deterioration issues? They feel a bit uncomfortable but I half expected that being new. Did you get a removable back protector with yours? Other than the built in speed hump of course.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i like to ride naked,,
but then i wake up..

most important is comfort..
then impact absorption - esp helmet,
which must be, a good well fitted
- full face - helmet..
unless of course you have only
half a face, or would like one..

motorcycle riding boots incl short boots
[eg; taichi rss007 delta boas - recommended]
are among other things, crush proof, such as
if a 400lb motorcycle falls onto your foot..
sneakers etc, are like riding helmetless,
ie, great, until reality strikes..

helmets should be snell approved for preference,
kept out of uv radiation [sunlight] when not
on your head, never left on mirror stalks
or otherwise dropped on hard surfaces,
and never,, purchased used[!]

basically, leather is best, and its true
for motorcycle gear as they say,
you get what you pay for..
incl quality and longevity,
not to mention protection...

good motorcycle gear is designed
and made to protect you/your body
incl, head and brain,, in those few
moments of impact, then abrasion..
your helmet 'works' to protect brain
for a few microseconds of all those years
wearing it.. why would you not have
a helmet made for your head shape,
exact size, including lining pads for
your shape face, good ventilation,
including exhausting moist stale air,
and other designed in comfort factors [?]

a good helmet [imo] can last 10yrs when
well cared for etc, by which time materials
technology and helmet development will
have reached another level, old faithful
has done its job, and should be retired..

[5 years is still very good value]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whats your thoughts on the RST race suit so far? Ive been sent a couple from a supplier to try on for size.
Any wear or deterioration issues? They feel a bit uncomfortable but I half expected that being new. Did you get a removable back protector with yours? Other than the built in speed hump of course.

I have a small back pad that's in there, didn't come standard. I love mine. I ordered 2 sizes too large for me, but it fits skin tight. :eek:
A bit weird trying it on & wearing, but you get used to it! I've only had the chance to wear it twice before the British winter set in with wind & rain. Now I've got my cold weather large gear on atm.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I have a small back pad that's in there, didn't come standard. I love mine. I ordered 2 sizes too large for me, but it fits skin tight. :eek:
A bit weird trying it on & wearing, but you get used to it! I've only had the chance to wear it twice before the British winter set in with wind & rain. Now I've got my cold weather large gear on atm.
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one, mainly for doing track days. Felt I needed some better protection. Mine came with a back protector fitted but it's not very comfortable on my boney back (think dinosaur back) so will get one that straps to my body and moves with me instead.
Other than that I'm happy with it.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts