Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
all you need do is watch motogp/2/3 including practice
and qualifying sessions [free torrent downloads]
to observe motorcyclists testing their gear..

these excellent riders can generally make the best of an off,
but not always, and there will typically be abrasion at least..
Riding gear/protection is just part of it. No matter how good the clothing, I am 100% confident that the outcomes would be different if first an overweight, unfit and not very bendy 59yo was flung off a bike at 100mph, versus another who was 24yo, had the flexibility and fitness of a gazelle, weighed a few ounces and had been practicing falling off high-speed bikes since he was 12.

;)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just picked up my first set of riding gear during the winter, got a few feet on the ground here already.

Helmet= Icon Alliance
Pants= Scorpion Kelvar Jeans
Jacket= Icon Overload Red Textile
Boots= First Gear Lo Boot

Nothing special, but a good start, got everything during a winter sale so I'm pretty impressed. Have a bunch of motocross & beanie helmets but no street gear until now.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't convince myself to buy riding gear for the summer months. And by that I mean something made of more lightweight fabrics. I just always think about the coming Fall and winter and can't bring myself to spend the money. Are there any cheaper jackets or pants that are good for summer riding?
I think others have said it before, but I would not skimp on safety gear. Keep in mind: if you are comfortable you will focus more on riding. Plus, really cheap stuff sometimes has corners cut that can make it less safe.

This looks decent (600 denier panels where abrasion will occur, CE armor): https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-blaze-jacket3

I would go for Joe Rocket, Dainese, Alpinestars or Rev'it. There are other great brands, but those are usually a safe bet.

This is a great guide that will get you pointed in the right direction: https://www.mcgearhub.com/motorcycle-gear-guide-frequently-asked-questions/

That site also has pictures and descriptions of gear that has been "crash tested." I highly recommend reading that as well:
https://www.mcgearhub.com/category/mc-gear-crash-tested/

My stuff:
Touring/I'm going at high speed/lots of traffic/high risk setup:
Jacket: Sedici Rapido
Pants: Bilt Explorer Air with added hip armor
Protection: Helite turtle airbag vest in hi-viz
Boots: Sedici Antonio (these are my winter boots. They are getting replaced by tall CE rated boots next winter) or Alpinestars Roam 2 Air boots (summer)
Gloves: Racer Gloves Race Carbon II (winter) Alpinestars SP-2 (summer)
Helmet: Shoei GT Air

If I'm just commuting (slow, low-risk area to ride in), I will go with either a Bilt Blast jacket (hi-viz, cold weather) or a Rev'it Wind jacket (summer, with a high-viz vest on)
Pants are either Scorpion covert (AWESOME jeans, with hip and knee armor and good kevlar coverage. Plus they fit just right)
or Rev'it Airwave pants

I wear ATGATT. Wearing the airbag vest all the time is a bit hotter and more inconvenient, but I am considering doing it. The Hurt report says accidents are most likely to occur on shorter trips (see number 12. The whole thing is a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report)

The most convenient setup is an armored jacket with the scorpion jeans. I just wear my motorcycle boots all day. Throw on the jacket, helmet and gloves and I'm ready to go and pretty well protected.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ATGATT. In summer I use a mesh jacket with all points armour. I wear a fluorescent overjacket which is not windproof to keep the cooling. Heavy gauge leather trousers and RST adventure boots. If it gets colder I have an ex-police fluor goretex over the mesh. Selection of gloves (always have a spare pair with me).
When it is colder I have a standard armoured bike jacket with the goretex over it and RST textile trousers. Boots are the same summer or winter. Winter gloves are two finger type for extra warmth. Jackets have removeable liners to give more variety of warmth value.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been contemplating protection for my knees recently. I wear Drayko Renegade jeans but I was looking for additional impact protection for my knees. Before paying $80 for "motorcycle" grade protection I went ahead and bought these $16 knee/shin protectors.

Amazon.com: Shift Racing Enforcer Adult Knee/Shin Guard Motocross Motorcycle Body Armor - Black / One Size: Automotive

I have no idea how well they actually will work. They do stay well seated on my legs while riding/walking, but there is nothing holding the top knee protector above my knee cap so it's free to move around a bit. The idea I had is that they will absorb at least the initial impact, then the kevlar in the jeans would absorb a slide. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also looking into some armored shorts. I commute to different customers for work and I'd like to wear my slacks, armored shorts and knee/shin protectors. Possibly the Dainese Hard Shorts E1.
Ideally you should get CE rated armor. Check this out. Guy had on decent pants with NO ARMOR (they even came with armor...I have some similar pants by Rev'it and they are very comfortable with it in) and broke his patella. Probably would have walked away from that wreck if he had armor on.

Also, you need slide protection on your rear...the armored shorts would help with padding on the hips and probably coccyx, but you would have ZERO sliding protection on your hips and rear if you wear them with regular pants. There are numerous articles where normal pants have been "crash tested," resulting in horrific injury (you will notice the guy had road rash on the side of his leg, in an area not covered by external knee protectors). In all the cases I have seen online, road rash and even horrific contusions would have been completely avoided if the person involved wore real motorcycle pants with armor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was looking at these pants after reading the guide I linked to above, and the are not double stitched! I am really disappointed, as I like those pants a lot. I don't trust them to provide crash protection any more, and will not wear them again. Luckily it is warming up and I have a few months before I will need a pair of cold weather pants again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have relaxed a bit on my gear now in the brutal heat of Florida summer

ATGATT on the highway but in the city:

Gloves
Full face helmet
mesh jacket

What I have been leaving at home:
Mesh pants
Boots

In my city just having
Gloves
Full face helmet
mesh jacket

Is more gear than 95% of the bikers I see. I went to a group ride of more than 70 bikers on Meetup and I had on more gear than anyone else (I had also my pants, boots and earplugs)

Many of those guys had no earplugs even when we are riding at 85 mph for over 3 hours each way. In my opinion NOT wearing a full face helmet on a ride like this is TORTURE.

·
Registered
337 Posts
On very short trips to the grocery store or my office (<2 miles), (in hot hot heat) I'm forgoing the jacket. I know, I know. :(

The amount of people riding without even a helmet in this state truly boggles the mind.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
The amount of people riding without even a helmet in this state truly boggles the mind.
I know, coming from a country where it is law to wear a helmet and has been forever I find it amazing that this practice goes on legally in a developed nation.

I did voice this on that 'other' forum I frequent and I got shot down a bit. It seems you guys are all about your rights, whether it it's to bear arms, not wear a helmet or woteva.

I think I would rather have my rights suppressed by the government and survive a motorcycle accident than end up a vegetable or dead even.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know, coming from a country where it is law to wear a helmet and has been forever I find it amazing that this practice goes on legally in a developed nation.

I did voice this on that 'other' forum I frequent and I got shot down a bit. It seems you guys are all about your rights, whether it it's to bear arms, not wear a helmet or woteva.

I think I would rather have my rights suppressed by the government and survive a motorcycle accident than end up a vegetable or dead even.
The argument is... quite... nonsensical. There's no constitutional "right" to make motorcycling more dangerous. And organized, legitimate bike organizations advocate against helmet laws! I just checked: 19 states (+DC) require helmets, 28 require helmets for some individuals (typically youth). Regardless, people who want to skirt the requirements can with half helmets that do little to prevent injury.

There's a motorcycle fatality in the greater Twin Cities area (usually on an interstate) on at least a weekly basis. I get notice now on several fb groups, people posting "check on your people" links. Sigh.

I should investigate hot weather gear. My textile jacket flows air pretty well, but it's also a little ill-fitting (large) and I'm skeptical the armor in the elbows would remain in the right place in an accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd never even consider buying a used helmet. Even if it has never been damaged or dropped, would you really want to put your head inside someone else's nasty helmet that they've been sweating in?... I think I'll pass.

Another thing to consider is that helmets have a finite life span. For example, the Shoei new helmet warranty is 5 years from the date of purchase, or 7 years from the manufacture date, which ever comes first. Most helmet manufacturers recommend that a helmet be replaced every 5 years. Many of the used helmets that people will list for sale on places like Craigs List are older than the hills. In time even the best helmet shells become brittle as the composite resins age and dry out.
It's not as nasty as you may think. The only way to know is to try it.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts