Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Honda where to listen to you by reading this thread,
What would you wish for if they ever decide to update their CBR300R/CB300F models?

1- I've seen a lot of people wishing the bike had a lighter weight, smaller exhaust,
2- I've seen also people wanting a shorter rear fender kit,
3- And others mention the bike needing a bit more lean on the side stand peg.

Most of these would save Honda a few $$ if they could provide this in their next models.

4- Personally I would have liked more flexibility with sprockets (higher gearing, better for touring),
5- a windshield/wind breaker on the CB300F.
6- A +25cc higher engine (at 299cc the least)
7- side trunk mounting points
8- Better colors (other than red and black)

What would you add to this list?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
May I step in here... I would imagine a bore change would be needed to increase displacement to at least 300 cc's. The engine in it's current physical height is already stroked to the max. That is why the current engine is 286cc's at the longest stroke.

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I wonder why Honda chose this size of the engine. I mean I can understand that they were able to increase the displacement without actually changing
the physical size of the engine and thus keeping the costs down; OTOH, all the competition is relatively far ahead in terms of power. With Honda's resources, it shouldn't be a problem to build a new 330 or 350cc while still keeping the costs down.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
May I step in here... I would imagine a bore change would be needed to increase displacement to at least 300 cc's. The engine in it's current physical height is already stroked to the max. That is why the current engine is 286cc's at the longest stroke.
They make a 500, so don't really see the sense is making it a bigger bored 300 bike. Upping from 250 to 286 was a good idea and that's why I brought one.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
They could lose 3-4 lbs. by reducing the size of the tailpipe.
True..but the exhaust IMHO sure looks better than that "boat anchor" used on the CBR 250 R.:devil:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd skip a meal, or run a few more laps in the morning. 3 - 4 lbs shouldn't be too much of an issue...

:p

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Good point Fanatic! :)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Assuming that Honda will continue to offer the CBR300R & CB300F over the next several model years, I don't see them making any significant changes to these bikes. The new lightweight supersport bike (which they have been showing at this years motorcycle shows) is where they would be putting R & D money and resources.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I wonder why Honda chose this size of the engine. I mean I can understand that they were able to increase the displacement without actually changing
the physical size of the engine and thus keeping the costs down; OTOH, all the competition is relatively far ahead in terms of power. With Honda's resources, it shouldn't be a problem to build a new 330 or 350cc while still keeping the costs down.
Well to put it plainly..Honda took the "cheap" way out. Honda didn't say .."Lets make a 286cc engine" They were limited to what they could change quickly and honestly cheaply. The CBR 250 R had good reviews (Honda knew this) and a bit of a Cult following. Honda banked on the 250 R's past reputation to make a "new" 300 that was not really a "300" at all but marketed as such,,,hoping that the new 300 would be the next best thing since sliced bread.

Now I am not knocking the new 300..in fact I think it is a great little bike..that's why I bought one. The bike as you well know was an early 2015 release and it too got pretty good reviews. But when compared to the Kawi 300 the Wee BR fell short in top speed and highway passing power.

I feel that in alot of cases (Youtube) the Wee BR got a bum wrap. Sure I test rode a Yamaha R 3 was I really liked it. But I bought the Wee BR..why? I just liked the bike..thought it looked nicer than the R 3..the brakes I felt were better and it came with ABS..the R 3 did not. AND it was a $1000 cheaper total out the door.

Reactions: dsimmo and Treve82

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
honda the worlds largest engine producer
is [obviously] capable of making virtually any,
engine,, being a world leader in engine design
including unique grand prix and f1 engines
[etc]..

honda designs and makes excellent motorcycles,
including incremental changes thru the model line..
this 286cc motor is imo simply a year model change,
or minor improvement, along with various other
minor changes for increased rideability etc..

bear in mind also the various license restrictions
and insurance categories which also influence
decisionmakers as to capacity and so on..
[eg, continuing production of cbr250r etc]

if you could ask soichiro honda about why he doesnt,
make a particular model of slightly more cc's
in response to something kawasaki did,,
no doubt he would smilingly point to
the many, great honda motorcycles
he already makes, for all purposes,
for you to choose from..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts