Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Good point JNO. That odo inaccuracy can work in your favor tho. I'm about to advertise my bike for sale with 13% less K's on the clock than it's actually travelled. Sneaky eh.
Running that super tall gearing combo has paid off twice - improved fuel economy and a lower mileage on the clock. Gonna be dam hard sleeping straight in bed at night tho. :D
But then your bike's engine has performed fewer revolutions per km travelled than would normally be the case. Sounds like a selling point to me.

You could also explain how the engine in your bike was running at lower rpm than other bikes during all those hours you had the throttle pinned to the stop. Then again, maybe not. :angel:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Good point JNO. That odo inaccuracy can work in your favor tho. I'm about to advertise my bike for sale with 13% less K's on the clock than it's actually travelled. Sneaky eh.
Running that super tall gearing combo has paid off twice - improved fuel economy and a lower mileage on the clock. Gonna be dam hard sleeping straight in bed at night tho. :D

How did you come up with 13% number?

With a 15t front sprocket, and assuming your speedo/odo is reading 3% higher than actual speed and distance, your odometer will show 3% more kilometers than you actually traveled, not less.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
How did you come up with 13% number?

With a 15t front sprocket, and assuming your speedo/odo is reading 3% higher than actual speed and distance, your odometer will show 3% more kilometers than you actually traveled, not less.
Firstly, although the speedos run 10% fast on the metric models the odo is pretty much bang on from the factory.

My odo has been running 13% slow because of the extra tooth on the front sprocket (7%) and two less teeth on the rear sprocket (6%).
7+6=13

·
Registered
391 Posts
OK, I'll play. One of the advantages to buying a bike in the fall is that the weather over the initial months of ownership discourages hooliganism. However, things have been much improved over past weeks, and I am fully accustomed to the bike. Also, the tires are well and truly scrubbed in. The other day, I accidentally left for work over an hour too early, so it was Scenic Drive Time. After a coffee, I didn't have enough time for the Scenic Drive back to work, so I took the multi-lane highway. One stretch is relatively flat, well-paved, mostly empty at 9 AM, and has a 120 kph limit. Here's the result:

Stock bike in every way (other than removing safety stickers).
Air temp approx. 10C.
Wind nearly nil.
Tank less than half full (Regular, no ethanol).
No drafting of cars (a bad idea at any speed anyway).
Me: 6'5" and 185 lbs.
Speedo checked with radar at 100 kph reading, actual speed 94.
Stock gearing.

150 kph came easily without a tuck, then crept to 155 kph. When that seemed all there was, I tucked my gibbon-like frame behind the windshield, and it moved to 158. I was catching up to traffic, so that was it. I may try again another time, but I can't imagine conditions could be any better, and I am unlikely to do more than minor mods, so I'm thinking I can see the ton from here, but I won't touch it on this bike. No big deal--there's nowhere I would need or want to do so. Those days are behind me. (When I worked at a dealer, a customer brought in a ZX-11, lightly modified, with a complaint about "a slight vibration and noise above 130 miles per hour." My job was test rides and diagnosis. Gotta do what you gotta do.)

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
OK, I'll play. One of the advantages to buying a bike in the fall is that the weather over the initial months of ownership discourages hooliganism. However, things have been much improved over past weeks, and I am fully accustomed to the bike. Also, the tires are well and truly scrubbed in. The other day, I accidentally left for work over an hour too early, so it was Scenic Drive Time. After a coffee, I didn't have enough time for the Scenic Drive back to work, so I took the multi-lane highway. One stretch is relatively flat, well-paved, mostly empty at 9 AM, and has a 120 kph limit. Here's the result:

Stock bike in every way (other than removing safety stickers).
Air temp approx. 10C.
Wind nearly nil.
Tank less than half full (Regular, no ethanol).
No drafting of cars (a bad idea at any speed anyway).
Me: 6'5" and 185 lbs.
Speedo checked with radar at 100 kph reading, actual speed 94.
Stock gearing.

150 kph came easily without a tuck, then crept to 155 kph. When that seemed all there was, I tucked my gibbon-like frame behind the windshield, and it moved to 158. I was catching up to traffic, so that was it. I may try again another time, but I can't imagine conditions could be any better, and I am unlikely to do more than minor mods, so I'm thinking I can see the ton from here, but I won't touch it on this bike. No big deal--there's nowhere I would need or want to do so. Those days are behind me. (When I worked at a dealer, a customer brought in a ZX-11, lightly modified, with a complaint about "a slight vibration and noise above 130 miles per hour." My job was test rides and diagnosis. Gotta do what you gotta do.)
Probably your larger frame was the limiting factor there Dan. I think when you get close to terminal velocity your aerodynamic profile becomes the biggest part of the equation, esp with only 30.4HP at the crank.
I'm 5'10" so can have my helmet chin resting on the tank and skinny little legs I can suck in out of the wind.
At 130lb I should've been a test rider or a horse jockey maybe. :D
It's always interesting to see what your bike can do tho, even if it's only once.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Top speed..... no go.

Left my CBR with the Takewaga 305cc kit, racing cams, fuel controller etc, etc, with the girlfriends son. His car (Mums) were having crash damage repaired (His fault) and he needed transport for work. We where off for a week so told him take care and nothing above 8000 rpm.
He is 21 and I thought sensible.
Well he had had an accident?? Something dropped on the tank and dented it, but he would fix it.

Went to the garage to pick it up, felt the front brake was poor and at tickover I could hear the engine above the straight through exhaust.
Told my girlfriend that her son had been hammering the bike.
She said nothing, but the Thai mechanics told her the engine had been over revved.
I understand and can speak 'passable Thai'.

Seals in one of the calipers was blown.
Fixed, new seals, fluid and ABS working. Cost 600 bhat, about $17.50.
Then, noticed that there were only fumes in the tank, it had been left 50% full.
Another word with the GF who were already telling him about my concerns/fears for the engine.

So off I went, cruising along the highway at 7200 rpm in 6th, went to overtake, dropped down to 5th and the engine up to 8600 rpm.... I could feel the vibration and hear the engine noise........
Engine not happy at those revs, slowed down and back into 6th. All quiet, but, a look in the mirrors, engine making a light blue haze. WTF.

Leaving the highway for the Thai country roads, the noise and vibration were already giving me bad vibes. (As an ex-marine engineer we have heightened senses for noise, heat and vibration above the norm). Started slowing down on a straight stretch when the engine cut out and I coasted to a stop.

Oil pouring out a blown seal.
Fuming I called the girlfriend who called the garage, who came in a truck and took the bike back.
Barrel and piston are toast, looked like there had been an earlier seizure, followed by the rings breaking up when I were riding the bike.

Garage have said they will fit original barrel and piston back. Keep the racing cams, controller and filter along with the big bore exhaust. Her son is 'Persona non grata' around me.

I am livid, gave him 2 Jonway, 250cc twin tourers for nothing. Before I gave them made sure everything was good. one metallic purple and the other metallic grey. Now both are immobilised ....
Why??
He wanted to modify/change the bodywork around. I have no idea what he has done nor interested. The girlfriend has told him that I am not lifting a spanner to help him, he has **** his bed.

I knew it were a bad idea to let a youngster loose on a modified bike that was yet to be run-in, but told he not crazy, so against my better judgement.

Will not happen again.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Oh dear... if your going to blow a motor you would rather it was yourself that did it huh. At least you still have the original barrel and piston to get it running again. Shame, sounded like a quick little bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh dear... if your going to blow a motor you would rather it was yourself that did it huh. At least you still have the original barrel and piston to get it running again. Shame, sounded like a quick little bike.
You are so correct. Never had that happen to me on any modded bikes. You listen to what the engine is telling you, bit like a baby.....

Intend to redo the mod. But will do the fitting myself

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think 98mph indicated is the top speed with stock gearing on flat ground. Full tuck with 1 bar of fuel and minor weight savings via fender and signal elimination, I'm also a little dude (5'6, 120 pounds).

Downhill I have hit 101mph, this was definitely top speed because I hit redline.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello fellas.
Posted a long time back that that my 250R showed 161 kph going slightly downhill. When I fitted the 305cc big bore kit it hit the limiter at 171ish kph. Told on here that the Asian models showed 10% high.

When fitting a 15T sprocket (g/box) noticed that the previous owner had fitted a 13T.
Just want check that my amended figures for speed would have therefore been. Displayed, 161= 133.6 kph = 83mph.
When the racing cams, fuel controller, straight exhaust and the 305cc kit were fitted. Displayed 171 = 142 kph = 88.7mph
Displaying 171 kph had the limiter cutting in, so now the 15T has been fitted and I will be fitting the replacement 305cc BBK I hope to see a genuine 100mph+

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Hello fellas.
Posted a long time back that that my 250R showed 161 kph going slightly downhill. When I fitted the 305cc big bore kit it hit the limiter at 171ish kph. Told on here that the Asian models showed 10% high.

When fitting a 15T sprocket (g/box) noticed that the previous owner had fitted a 13T.
Just want check that my amended figures for speed would have therefore been. Displayed, 161= 133.6 kph = 83mph.
When the racing cams, fuel controller, straight exhaust and the 305cc kit were fitted. Displayed 171 = 142 kph = 88.7mph
Displaying 171 kph had the limiter cutting in, so now the 15T has been fitted and I will be fitting the replacement 305cc BBK I hope to see a genuine 100mph+
Is it hard to find a road without traffic to do top speed runs there or do you use the multi lane motorway?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I making this all up of course......

When I investigated my ZZR1100's top speed, I used a long section of mostly empty dual carriageway in New South Wales, north of Canberra. Bikes like that don't take long to reach stupid velocities, but squeezing out the last few KPHs takes a fair bit of runway, so I'd have been going in excess of 270kph/168mph for mile or so I reckon, before maxing out around 280kph/170mph.

I think, if you're caught doing those sort of speeds on public roads, you go straight to jail.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
I making this all up of course......

When I investigated my ZZR1100's top speed, I used a long section of mostly empty dual carriageway in New South Wales, north of Canberra. Bikes like that don't take long to reach stupid velocities, but squeezing out the last few KPHs takes a fair bit of runway, so I'd have been going in excess of 270kph/168mph for mile or so I reckon, before maxing out around 280kph/170mph.

I think, if you're caught doing those sort of speeds on public roads, you go straight to jail.
It's always tempting to explore what potential a bike has esp when its only the flick of a wrist away.
That was one of the reasoning factors when I scaled down to 250/300's. I didnt want to have the option of exploring those hyper speeds.

Purely as a matter of interest, when you were hypothetically doing 280kph was that off the Speedo or GPS?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
........Purely as a matter of interest, when you were hypothetically doing 280kph was that off the Speedo or GPS?
Speedo, and even then I could only tell you that the needle was all the way round, more or less to the stop, because I had to tuck in really tight and, because I wear glasses for reading, I couldn't see the instruments clearly. The ZZR1100 was officially clocked at 172mph and I was flat chat, so it would have been around that figure.

In my dream of course :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
In another dream, I managed to wring about 250kph/150mph out of my GSX1100F back in the UK, where finding a safe place to do so was much harder and riskier.

It was another event where I used up a life, because when I finally backed off the throttle, the front tyre started to deflate. Getting it slowed down and stationary was quite a challenge. Turned out that the centrifugal forces had either caused the tyre bead to grow away from the rim or the valve had partially opened, because when I re-inflated the tyre, it never leaked again.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
In another dream, I managed to wring about 250kph/150mph out of my GSX1100F back in the UK, where finding a safe place to do so was much harder and riskier.

It was another event where I used up a life, because when I finally backed off the throttle, the front tyre started to deflate. Getting it slowed down and stationary was quite a challenge. Turned out that the centrifugal forces had either caused the tyre bead to grow away from the rim or the valve had partially opened, because when I re-inflated the tyre, it never leaked again.
Sounds like that 'dream' had the potential to turn into a nightmare!

I tapped my GPz900R right out once in Aussie (not hard to find a straight road there!) but unfortunately my speedo cable was broken at the time.
Kawasaki claimed a top speed of 255kph but I was dubious of that.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Australian Cuntstable: "Now sir, would you mind telling me how fast you where going back there?"

Kiwi: "I give up. Ask me another one."

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is it hard to find a road without traffic to do top speed runs there or do you use the multi lane motorway?
I am quite blessed with straight and open roads around me.
Where I am, at the Ban Phet junction (2 km's away) I can head south to Dun Khun Thot which is all gentle bends with some good straight sections. But with villages dotted either side of the road you have chickens and dogs running across your path.
But, after Dun Khun Thot it is a very wide 2 lane road to Korat, it is called "Asian Highway".
You can do high speed runs there.

Back to Dun Khun Thot, you hang a right and head to Si Khio which is as straight as a die road, that eventually, after going up and down the mountain your are heading to Pattaya :D and more pleasure.

Back to Ban Phet you head west on the Bangkok route which can be quite hairy with buses and HGV's driving towards you ....... on your side of the road. In a car I would be totaled, but on a bike, I can squeeze past the yabba fuelled cretins. Enough ranting.

You eventually come to a very wide dual carriageway (2 lane) with sweeping curves, where I enjoy racing the young guys in their Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. With Pirelli tyres and half way out my seat I can go around these bends faster than they can in a car?? I can never work that one out and I am 62 next month??

Go too far from home and depending on what time you left, are now heading back home, you get get the schoolboys coming out on their 110-115-125cc bikes 3 or 4+ on a bike, no licence, no tax or insurance??
They try to race you which I go along with sticking at 60-70 kph. But, when I know a bend is coming up I let them go on as safe as they can.
Seen so many schoolchildren crashing (Die) on a bike because their brakes did not work. Yet, their brakes were okay, just the bike brakes were not designed to stop quickly with 4+ bodies onboard.

I take the CBR or R3 out as I feel.
Got lots of goodies to fit on the R3, she is off the road next week for the Bazzaz to be fitted, blank-off plate, R6 throttle mod and a lovely stainless steel "Leo Vince" exhaust and fender eliminator.
Once done the CBR is off the road for the BBK 305cc kit.

Who says retirement is boring??

If you are still reading after all these rambling.... Well done

Just to add I have racing pads fitted to both bikes.
Sintered pads make such as difference that without ABS I might lock up the front. The braking improvement is so high they should be fitted as standard.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
I am quite blessed with straight and open roads around me.
Where I am, at the Ban Phet junction (2 km's away) I can head south to Dun Khun Thot which is all gentle bends with some good straight sections. But with villages dotted either side of the road you have chickens and dogs running across your path.
But, after Dun Khun Thot it is a very wide 2 lane road to Korat, it is called "Asian Highway".
You can do high speed runs there.

Back to Dun Khun Thot, you hang a right and head to Si Khio which is as straight as a die road, that eventually, after going up and down the mountain your are heading to Pattaya :D and more pleasure.

Back to Ban Phet you head west on the Bangkok route which can be quite hairy with buses and HGV's driving towards you ....... on your side of the road. In a car I would be totaled, but on a bike, I can squeeze past the yabba fuelled cretins. Enough ranting.

You eventually come to a very wide dual carriageway (2 lane) with sweeping curves, where I enjoy racing the young guys in their Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. With Pirelli tyres and half way out my seat I can go around these bends faster than they can in a car?? I can never work that one out and I am 62 next month??

Go too far from home and depending on what time you left, are now heading back home, you get get the schoolboys coming out on their 110-115-125cc bikes 3 or 4+ on a bike, no licence, no tax or insurance??
They try to race you which I go along with sticking at 60-70 kph. But, when I know a bend is coming up I let them go on as safe as they can.
Seen so many schoolchildren crashing (Die) on a bike because their brakes did not work. Yet, their brakes were okay, just the bike brakes were not designed to stop quickly with 4+ bodies onboard.

I take the CBR or R3 out as I feel.
Got lots of goodies to fit on the R3, she is off the road next week for the Bazzaz to be fitted, blank-off plate, R6 throttle mod and a lovely stainless steel "Leo Vince" exhaust and fender eliminator.
Once done the CBR is off the road for the BBK 305cc kit.

Who says retirement is boring??

If you are still reading after all these rambling.... Well done

Just to add I have racing pads fitted to both bikes.
Sintered pads make such as difference that without ABS I might lock up the front. The braking improvement is so high they should be fitted as standard.
Good to hear, that will be me in 14 yrs time. Can't see me backing off the throttle any time soon. :D

Yep, sintered pads are the bomb all right. They say they take more time to warm up before they bite fully but i can't say I've noticed.

Interesting to hear some of your observations about riding in Thailand. I rode my Yamaha XT350 trail bike there as part of my across Asia tour quite a few years back. I remember the fearless young lads on scooters and the crazies on the wrong side of the road. Some guy in an old Mercedes just veered straight across the road in front of me as he wanted to get to a stall on my side of the road. I had no option but to lay the bike on its side and use it as a buffer between us. My soft panniers took most of the damage apart from a broken clutch lever. The police arrived but I was on a hiding to nothing as I don't speak Thai and he was a wealthy guy so I didnt pursue any justice and just carried on.
Loved the food tho, still do.

Do you have a preference out of the R3 and the CBR?

301 - 320 of 331 Posts