Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good to hear, that will be me in 14 yrs time. Can't see me backing off the throttle any time soon. :D

Yep, sintered pads are the bomb all right. They say they take more time to warm up before they bite fully but i can't say I've noticed.

Interesting to hear some of your observations about riding in Thailand. I rode my Yamaha XT350 trail bike there as part of my across Asia tour quite a few years back. I remember the fearless young lads on scooters and the crazies on the wrong side of the road. Some guy in an old Mercedes just veered straight across the road in front of me as he wanted to get to a stall on my side of the road. I had no option but to lay the bike on its side and use it as a buffer between us. My soft panniers took most of the damage apart from a broken clutch lever. The police arrived but I was on a hiding to nothing as I don't speak Thai and he was a wealthy guy so I didnt pursue any justice and just carried on.
Loved the food tho, still do.

Do you have a preference out of the R3 and the CBR?
Never noticed any delay on 'bite' with the sintered pads. I apply gentle gentle pressure first then increase it as the forks start compressing. This really to stop any 'shaking' starting.

Regards your incident with the mercedes, I have had a few problems with Thai cars and bikes. I can speak passable Thai, but with 'class 1' insurance I call them and let them sort it out. Also I hand my phone to any policeman so they can talk with my Thai wife, that is after I have told her what happened.
Once the police can see I have done nothing wrong, my visa is correct and I am being calm and polite, they usually stay until the insurance assessor turns up, then they go.

CBR or R3, both are good in their own ways.
There are a few Thai guys that I let borrow one of my bikes so we go out for a run. When I do that I take the CBR because it handles better than the R3, also I can slide off the seat easily whereas I cannot do that on the R3. The CBR has Pirellis fitted which gives superior grip to the R3 Michelin road runners.

One thing I have noticed is that the young Thai guys all ride the same. i.e. keep to the inside when going around a bend, they think I am crazy going wide then cutting in sharply and cutting the edge off the corner as I apply the full open throttle. They enter the corner slow and exit even slower. Tried teaching them and they agree on what I say. Told them loads of times not to stay a 6'o clock behind me get into 5 or 7, that way they can see what I see, not run into the back of me if I brake.
Basic roadcraft, but there is zero training out here.

Rant over

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Just for comparisons sake, I took my Ninja 400 out to the same stretch of road where I top speed tested my CBR300 a couple of years ago and in similar calm conditions.
Back then I got 164kph (102 mph) out of the CBR. The Ninja pulled 194 on the optimistic clock but the GPS doesn't lie and it was an actual 184 or 115 mph.

So 20kph quicker with a difference in HP of 31.4 vs 45 (crank ratings) and the Ninja is a slightly heavier bike, maybe 5 kg.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Just for comparisons sake, I took my Ninja 400 out to the same stretch of road where I top speed tested my CBR300 a couple of years ago and in similar calm conditions.
Back then I got 164kph (102 mph) out of the CBR. The Ninja pulled 194 on the optimistic clock but the GPS doesn't lie and it was an actual 184 or 112 mph.

So 20kph quicker with a difference in HP of 31.4 vs 45 (crank ratings) and the Ninja is a slightly heavier bike, maybe 5 kg.
Goes to show that as the terminal or top speed increases, it takes a significantly larger increase in HP to gain just a bit more speed. Can imagine how much more HP would be required to gain yet another 20 kph (10 mph), due to increased aerodynamic drag.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Goes to show that as the terminal or top speed increases, it takes a significantly larger increase in HP to gain just a bit more speed. Can imagine how much more HP would be required to gain yet another 20 kph (10 mph), due to increased aerodynamic drag.
True, it seems to be an exponential equation where you need more and more horse power to gain the same increment in speed.

The Ninja 400 has a very wide fairing compared to the other 300cc class bikes I've noticed. Earlier today I was watching the qualifying for WSSP300 at Aragon and the wider profile was really noticeable. I cant imagine this helps you cut the air any better when top speed testing, but if it was designed in a wind tunnel then maybe.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My CB300F really trails off by the indicated upper 80s, I believe I saw 90mph once. 180lbs. She probably needs a tune up and I probably need to lose weight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My CBR300R goes very easy up to 145km/h on the Autobahn.It would go somewhat faster if I wait a little. But the cars chase me away, I'm too slow for the left lane.
I also found, that the stock exhaust has the best power. I tested a Leo Vince on the same road one hour later and got only to 135 km/h.

·
Registered
274 Posts
:)
My CBR300R goes very easy up to 145km/h on the Autobahn.It would go somewhat faster if I wait a little. But the cars chase me away, I'm too slow for the left lane.
I also found, that the stock exhaust has the best power. I tested a Leo Vince on the same road one hour later and got only to 135 km/h.
Yes, those fairings do an excellent job!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Confirmed my bike's top speed with the -1 front sprocket (and the 150/60 rear tire) the other day bouncing the rev limiter in 6th. It was indicating 101-102mph, but according to https://www.gearingcommander.com it was an actual 93.2 mph at 10500 rpm (is this our true limit?). The site says with stock gearing they are limited to 103 at that rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great thread topic! I love gettin a bit wild n' crazy every now and then as long as the road conditions are right and the police aren't lookin!

My 250R loved to rev and I regularly maxed it out. Best I saw was 100 neat one day with a bit of tail wind assistance if I was honest:D

Ive been waiting to get a few more miles up on the 300 to get the motor loosened up a bit before winding it right out but I did see 96 @900RPM recently.
Ive geared it up significantly so there is potential there to see a high number! Will keep you posted.

I weigh 130lb and those speeds quoted are GPS confirmed, not what the speedo said!!
How do u gear it up. My bike runs like it needs one more gear. I would love to adjust 6th gear so its not wound tight just doing the speed limit

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
How do u gear it up. My bike runs like it needs one more gear. I would love to adjust 6th gear so its not wound tight just doing the speed limit
Change the sprocket sizes. Either bigger on the front or smaller on the back. most common and cheapest mod is to replace front sprocket with one of 15 teeth. 14 is standard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I have seen a few videos here and there on you tube. most show someone half way around the world clocking 100+ mph on their crb300r. I converted from kph to mph.

Thought I would ask what is your top speed?

my girl's stock bike with her, 95 mph and she is only 107 lbs
me and my girl on a stock bike, 89 mph, total we are 267 lbs.
me on my dynode bike, 96 at 160 lbs.

I know, it is not about speed, going fast, who has the fastest bike, blah, blah, blah. obviously we didn't by the bikes to lay rubber and haul butt. we love our bikes for what they are, fun.

I just thought I would see how many brave, lol, wild and crazy souls out there are maxing out.

we did all of our crotch rocket riding tucked in and in 6th gear.

thanks

kool-aide
Hi! 2017 CBR 300R. 170km/h gps verified.

Mods: EJK, Slip on, k&n filter, 15t front sprocket, x ring chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You got 6kph more than myself. I got 164 GPS verified. What is your weight?
I weigh 145lbs, and my gear is all pretty wind-cheating, full touring suit, middle zipper, and a OGio backpack.

I also did a free, stock part fender eliminator, which may reduce drag.

I also wanna note, at 170km/h it was at 10,000rpm and holding it was difficult, any wind or incline would cut speed. I did not achieve it on a downhill too btw (cheating).

·
Registered
11 Posts
You got 6kph more than myself. I got 164 GPS verified. What is your weight?
Hey Kiwi Rider, thanks for keeping this page alive! I really appreciate all the tips and wish you still had your 300 :'( . I have a friend w a Ninja 400 and hes had all kinds of clutch issues, and apparently it's common. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
No worries, I still got a soft spot for the CBR's. :) Yeah The Ninja's are a good bike but the stock clutch is the achilles heel. Having said that I've had no bother with mine in 15,000km. I got into racing a few years ago and it ties up a lot of my wkds now so I dont do as much road riding as I'd like to.

·
Registered
2019 CBR300R (Black/Red)
19 Posts
100mph on speedo. Tucked in. Flat long stretch of street.
I'm 145lbs. Leo Vince lv10 slip on. Both mirrors deleted.
I want to shed more bike weight. Maybe a lighter battery. Tail tidy. K&N air filter.
I just did the ejk install yesterday. So I'm eager to see if that did anything to top speed.
Any1 notice a + or - in top speed with the ejk installed?

321 - 338 of 338 Posts