Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were two upping through the Black Hills of South Dakota. A really fun ride until we came upon this...

( that’s our mirror in the lower corner)

....and they kept coming.... about 20 of em..... I think this one really liked the bike

·
Registered
391 Posts
As a former Parks Canada employee, it is impossible for me NOT to say that you should not stop for bison on a motorcycle (which is basically the same as being out of your car, but with a bit more protective gear) unless they are actually blocking your path. I’m sorry to be a scold, but this is a PSA that’s programmed into me. The video of the little girl in Yellowstone should be taken as fair warning to all. Wild animals of all sizes need to be respected, especially when you’re in their house.

Finger-wagging aside, I hope you enjoyed the Black Hills. It’s a beautiful place.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If a herd of something as big and boogery-looking as those beasts were in the road ahead of me, I just may turn around. And after a change of drawers, I may or not go back that way again. :laugh:
A good-sized one can be my height at the shoulder hump. I’m 6’5”! :eek:

True confession: when I rode through the Black Hills as a much younger and more foolish man, I stopped to get a picture of my R80GS against a background of wild burros (yes, I know that makes me a hypocrite; we live and learn). While I was setting up the shot, two separate groups of bison were coming up behind me. When I realized they were there, I left. Unfortunately, I had removed my helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. I have never dressed so fast in my life.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I used to be a park ranger as well. I was probably one of the more scary things out there. :eek:
We dont have any dangerous stuff in the wilds of NZ, kinda boring in a way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Dan...... My wife’s son is a curator at the Tulsa zoo.... He had posted a funny picture of where not to pet bison recently..... My thoughts went back to the irony of the moment we were in.....

I’m going back though. I told my wife I needed one morning on Iron Mountain road without her or the bison where I can get completely stupid on my own..... :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bachelor.. I wasn't aware I needed to go or do anything special.. to get stupid. It's always seemed the most natural thing, and I seem to do it regularly. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
3,003 Posts
My brother raises buffalo on his farm in southern Minnesota. He has a couple bulls that are incredibly huge animals and very aggressive. Definitely an animal you'd want to give a wide berth to.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I dunno, I hear those keas are **** on windshield wipers... :D
Yep, like this guy:
download.jpg

They wont attack you though, unlike all those big four legged things you guys have.

Worst thing we have is a spider called the Katipo which according to Wiki has not killed anyone since 1901. Quiet century for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katipo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts