Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Now that takes a lot of confidence, and yeah, also a tad bit of practice too, lol.

Amazing to see how you can bring out unexpected greatness from these bikes.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well they're not really fast on the straight roads.
I went Great Ocean Road ride (Melbourne, Australia) and was able to keep up with 1000's and 600's (friends) in the turns, kept right on their tail. Once straight road came up they lost me quick.
I was going 80-100km/h on the twisties with one side of the road to use which is fair, but on the straight roads with slow acceleration and max of ~160km/h it felt un-easy overtaking multiple vehicles at once and I was just unable to keep up with the more powerful bikes.
I guess it depends on your perception of quick.
If it had just 10 extra HP it would be perfect for the twisties. If the rumoured 4 cyl kawa or the rumoured dual cylinder 250cc honda comes out, it would be perfect. Can't wait for those.

·
Registered
75 Posts
These little bikes can handle with the right tires. My Ninja 250 can keep up with bigger bikes in the canyons no problem. Lighter weight equals to faster entry & exit speeds. However, it doesn't hurt to have the extra power. My bike right now is about 28hp with a modified air box. Another 6hp would be sweet.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why is the top speed less than 80MPH?
There is a lot of gradient to be fair as it's a hill climb after all.
I wonder if his motor is standard or not. Anyone know much about this guys bike?
Yup, wouldn't wanna' see the bike or rider fly off the cliff with a higher speed, unless there's a built in Mission Impossible parachute attached somewhere...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone know if this will be aired on television, I have looked to see but cannot find any information about it being aired.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yup, wouldn't wanna' see the bike or rider fly off the cliff with a higher speed, unless there's a built in Mission Impossible parachute attached somewhere...

The gearing is so low that 1st gear is useless. Seems to me he could have a little faster top speed but I'm not the one risking life and limb. My bike would be geared for about 50mph top speed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very cool video. Important to remember that a stock single is MUCH different than a fully modified bike. There's a retired racer in our riding group with a single cylinder race-bike he made himself from the ground up. The engine started life at 29hp and is currently more like 60 (the only rules in his class was it had to be a single cylinder engine). That thing is a beast for what it is, and this case looks no different, no way thats a stock bike.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree B.K. with what you say above. If you watch the on screen tach and if it IS correct...the engine climbs upwards of 11,500 RPMs....

Pretty sure it has been "tweeked" (just a bit!);)

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Here's the results from the lightweights race. Looks like he was 15th. Cant seem to find any quick info on the net about his bike.

Lightweight
1. Codie Vahsholtz (KTM) 10:50:421
2. Joseph Connor Toner (Aprilia) 11:03:058
3. Darryl Lujan (Honda) 11:38:282
4. David Mobley (Yamaha) 11:48:866
5. Jason Doody (Yamaha) 12:00:952
6. Brian Osborne (Aprilia) 12:02:132
7. Jim Cole (Yamaha0 12:20:238
8. Jude Monica (Cannondale) 12:24:600
9. Robert Laird (Honda) 12:25:096
10. Robert Gehring (Yamaha) 12:33:493
11. Shihab Alireza (Honda) 12:44:902
12. Mark Bartle (Yamaha) 12:50:572
13. Tom Specht (Honda) 12:56:352
14. Doug Chestnutt (Yamah) 13:32:194
15. Edgar Escobar (Honda) 14:13:220

The class rules. Interesting that you are limited to only 450cc on a single, seems like a handicap to me :serious:
He did well on a 286cc bike even if it has been tweaked!

Pikes Peak Lightweight
Displacement # of Cylinders
251-450 cc 4 stroke 1
251-550 cc 4 stroke 2
251-500 cc 2 stroke 1

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I'll be damned...

Edger...is a member here...

Honda CBR 300 Forum - View Profile: PPIHC 300r

See his gallery...;)

I went on Youtube and asked Edgar ..since he is a member here to please give us some details on his bike...fingers crossed..

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bike is fully stock with the exception of:

- k&n filter
- 2 bros full racing exhaust
- power commander v fuel controller with auto tune (to account for low oxygen conditions)
- aim evo4 for data logging
- woodcraft rear sets and clip ons
- shark skinz bodywork
- gearing 14:44 (limiting top speed to 80mph)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Day one I had gearing set to 14:38 and very quickly realized that 28hp and me weighing 184 was going to keep this bike bogging down with the low oxygen conditions reducing hp by 30% and also the average 10% grade Uphil.

I lost top speed but bike felt a lot better and felt very consistent.

Handling was amazing on this bike and even though the PPIHC Comitee had to place me in the lightweight class due to bike being 286cc I had to go against some monstrous 2 - strokes and still kept up well with these bikes.

To be continued....

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4th attempt to respond to these posts and this site keeps crashing deleting all my long messages :(
Thank you so much for being persistent and finally being able to post information.

Great pics you provided...computer back ground material.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts