off would it void my warranty?

·
Registered
149 Posts
kind of a dumb question but ive never owned a new bike before
i just bought a 2015 300f and was worndering if i changed the brake and
clutch levers and put on a yoshimura eliminator kit and took thr reflectors
off would it void my warranty?
Warranty law says that the manufacturer/dealer can only void your warranty if they can prove that your modifications were the cause of whatever problem you have. Ie they can't void your warranty if your suspension fails because you changed your exhaust, cause the two systems have nothing to do with each other. The mods you mentioned are probably fine.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
on the subject, members may like to know that [australian warranty]
changing sprockets is considered a 'performance modification'
and thus may void some warranty obligations..

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
The OP should have no "voided warranty" issues as a result of installing aftermarket levers & an FE kit. That said, if you do something to the bike that directly causes another original part or component to fail, the chances of Honda covering that failure are slim to none.

shisoshin makes a good point, as the specific terms of the New Honda Motorcycle Warranty varies in different countries. For example, in some countries the warranty requires that all regular scheduled maintenance be done by an authorized Honda dealer. Whereas here in the US, under the terms of the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, an owner can choose to do the required maintenance themselves (or have an independent shop do it), without affecting the warranty. Obviously all service work must be performed correctly and parts receipts/records kept.

But there are many exclusions to the warranty. For example, if an owner (or his independent mechanic) were to install a new oil filter backwards, causing engine damage, Honda would not cover that engine failure under its warranty. Similarly, if you installed an aftermarket (non OEM) oil or air filter that was faulty in some way and caused engine damage, that would not be covered by Honda. Another one is a bike which is used in competition... as soon as you put your bike on a race track, your warranty is void (I'm not sure, but doing a few track days may be an exception to this).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts