Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short of buying a new helmet, does anyone have any tips or tricks for reducing wind noise while riding at speed? I have what I considered to be a nice Fulmer helmet, but at 60mph on a moderately windy day, I can't even hear my engine over the sound of air rushing around my noggin

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Ear plugs are the answer.

I prefer the silicone type over the common foam plugs... they are more comfortable, quieter, and don't fall out of the ear cannel like the cheap foam ones do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That still doesn't help with the aspect of hearing the bike. Is there any way to keep wind from entering the bottom of the bucket? If I'm wearing my armored jacket, I can raise my shoulders up and the noise is reduced dramatically, it's just not a sustainable riding position

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
That still doesn't help with the aspect of hearing the bike. Is there any way to keep wind from entering the bottom of the bucket? If I'm wearing my armored jacket, I can raise my shoulders up and the noise is reduced dramatically, it's just not a sustainable riding position
Whether you're wearing ear plugs, or living with a lot of wind noise inside your helmet (definitely not recommended), you're not going to hear the bike as long as you're running the stock exhaust. Whereas an aftermarket exhaust will make some noise.

Some helmets are supplied with a snap-in fabric chin skirt, which can help somewhat with wind noise. My Shoei Qwest came with one, although it seems like it is more effective in keeping your chin warmer in colder temps than it is for reducing wind noise.

Back to the subject of ear plugs... even with the quietest, high end helmets you really need to wear hearing protection. It doesn't take much wind noise over time to do serious damage to your hearing.

Get some good ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
good design well fitting helmets have as mentioned
chin curtains but also soft but snug insulating rolls
around the base of the helmet and throat..

but as you say, aside from a new helmet,,
one easy fix used by motorcyclists since
the year dot is the good old woolen scarf..

its up to you how far it goes into snugness
and insulation.. while obviously not up to
the levels of soundproofing of good earplugs,
the scarf will muffle whatever noises come
up under and into your helmet thus ears..

even on an average day or night its usually
cool enough around your neck for a scarf..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If all else fails, you always have the option to opt for the Cadillac... ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
+1 on the earplugs, though I too have trouble hearing the bike when wearing them. The CB3 must be the quietest bike I have ever owned!

Does your helmet fit snugly? In my experience, wind noise is increased in some cases by shell design (which might be alleviated somewhat by closing up the opening, such as with a scarf or neck warmer) or by allowing wind and noise to get up around your ears due to the helmet being a little too big. This can be alleviated by wearing a balaclava (thus making the fit a little tighter), provided the weather permits of course.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
As you've worked out, its the noise of the wind rushing under the helmet that your hearing.
I'm lucky living in a cool climate as I usually have a neck roll on and this makes a big difference as shisoshin points out, but they can be hot at times.
I've been road riding 28 years now and Ive noticed that peoples ears have different levels of sensitivity. How sensitive your ears are generally dictates whether you are going to be bothered to wear plugs or not. Ive always used them on any ride over say 10 miles but Ive got heaps of riding buddies who dont worry about it. Unfortunately I have damaged my ears a bit by using high powered rifles to shoot deer, but that's another story...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am partially deaf in one ear thanks to spending three days marshaling at a European F2 Championship meeting back in the 80s, where I was a fire marshal positioned just behind the barrier on the exit of a very fast corner. The cars were going by flat chat and squirming, about six feet from my left ear. Lovely!

Pardon?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wear a head sock which helps a bit with the wind noise and the cold temps. They are usually about $15 at any camping/fishing stores

·
Registered
38 Posts
went from a half to a 3/4 with face shield, it cut the wind noise and kept the wind out. a small wind screen also helps, give you a quite bubble when you are on the highway. I like to here as much as possible when riding, but the cold wind gets to me after awhile so I wear a silk baklava in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts