Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
they would increase visibility at night for sure, but in a lot of states, any non-standard equipped lighting on motor vehicles is illegal for use on the road. I know in NY things like underglow kits on cars are illegal, as well as any colored lights that aren't used for indicating things like turning, stopping, etc. whether or not a cop would bother you for it on the other hand, is a different question altogether.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I agree ^... no self respecting motorcycle rider would put those valve stem lights on their bike. Might as well put some Hello Kitty stickers and handle bar streamers on it too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree ^... no self respecting motorcycle rider would put those valve stem lights on their bike. Might as well put some Hello Kitty stickers and handle bar streamers on it too. :rolleyes:

Yes I suppose so,
seems very popular in japan

·
Registered
225 Posts
How often does anyone go riding at night anyhow? lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How often does anyone go riding at night anyhow? lol
I ride for leisure and most times I ride at night after work.
also a lot of people here crowd along certain streets near the CBD after 9 ~ 10pm

·
Registered
225 Posts
Must be a lot safer riding at night in Melbourne than it is in California! Too many peanut heads driving around here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Must be a lot safer riding at night in Melbourne than it is in California! Too many peanut heads driving around here

around the streets (other then the CBD) here is almost dead after 10pm..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here in the Uk we have had some valve caps that activate with the rotation of the wheels giving a flashing effect which is deemed not for road use.
As good an idea as it sounds along with rim tapes and reflective stickers and high viz clothing.
An old English saying is "A nod is a good as a wink to a blind man" If they can pull out in front of a fire truck with its lights and horn going, "Then what chance have us motorcyclist got?"

·
Registered
141 Posts
the 300's are used by a lot of people for commuting, and a lot of people work at night, so i imagine there are quite a lot of people who ride at night, especially people who use their bikes as every day transportation, as opposed to people who only use their bikes for fun. I leave my car at home every time i can, as long as it's not raining and i don't have to carry anything.

back to the topic though, i think the light up valve caps would increase visibility at night, despite making you look silly, but because they are technically illegal in most US states, reflective gear is your best bet for night-time visibility. i believe there is an auto maker that has invented an aerosol spray that when applied to a surface, it's invisible in day light, but in the dark it's highly reflective. might be good for helmets and backpacks. I've seen videos where people have used it to spray their entire bicycles and it just lights up at night. pretty cool stuff.

EDIT: ha, here's what i was talking about. http://www.wired.com/2015/03/lifepaint-reflective-paint/

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'll wait a few years, thanks. By then, all the horror stories about it causing the original paint to fall off will have come out.

:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll wait a few years, thanks. By then, all the horror stories about it causing the original paint to fall off will have come out.

:D
It's actually a product that's been on the market for a while, but the company teamed up with VOLVO and rebranded it. This Life Paint variety is actually a temporary spray. I don't think I would want to spray my bike directly, but maybe my helmet or a backpack (it's good on textiles)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts