Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figure we could have a place to discuss Honda's Motorsport efforts. I'm sure we can get one going for MotoGP as well, I just had WSBK news in my hands so thats why this one goes first :D

The PATA Honda team just wrapped up a private three day test at Circuito Cartagena in Spain. Interestingly Haslam and Rea have not been on their Fireblades since Phillip Island a month back. Story goes they were fine tuning chassis settings, traction control and power delivery. More testing starts up at Jerez next week right before Round Two over the 11-13th of April...

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
One question, has anyone here ever experienced knee scrapage like this guy here? :D
That's not something you'd want to attempt to do on public roads... riding at the "limit" on a closed course is completely different, with sticky tires up to full operating temp, and clean, smooth pavement to work with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I certainly would not feel comfortable being that close to the ground and at that degree of lean on a bike. I'm going to have to practice for a while before I will think about doing that. Have you had the chance to ride a track and gets some scrapes on your knee like this guy @motomike?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
No, I haven't.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Doing this on the street is risky for sure, i know some guys do, even when going on those twisty back roads, not something i've done, not something I would do although i think it's cool

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honestly I've got mad respect for chicken strips, means you know your limit and you stayed within it...

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
I was going to post about the World Super Bike race at Rimini, Italy I watched live tonite and this old thread came up when I was doing a WSBK search.
Will do for now but interestingly Pata Chips are now sponsoring Yamaha not Honda as they were when the the first post was made here in 2014. Honda dont really seem to get behind the WSBK series like they do MotoGP and it has been dominated by Kawasaki and Ducati in recent years. Yamaha are starting to get some results now with the new bike and good riders in Michael van der Mark and Alex Lowes.

Tonites race was just mad, a real win it or bin it affair, very exciting to watch. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) was sitting in fifth place then ended up winning it after all four riders in front of him crashed out in three separate incidents. The last one was the worst when Chaz Davies (Ducati) was leading from Jonathan Rae (Kawasaki) on the last lap but lost the front end with only a couple of corners left to go and Rae rode into him, coming off as well. Rae managed to pick the bike up and make third behind Alex Lowes. Rae still leads the championship at this stage with six rounds to go.

WorldSBK

·
Registered
204 Posts
Apparently the payout in WSBK is a fraction of what they pay in MotoGP which is why most manufacturers don't even bother pitting full factory teams in WSBK. Its a Kawasaki-Ducati race(mostly Kwacker wins) and the rest of the grid race like they're on Moto 2 bikes racing against MotoGP bikes ahead.

Honda lost PATA sponsorship and they gained Redbull Sponsorship but even that doesn't interest HRC in actually setting up the WSBK team. Ten Kate is by far the smallest team in this year's racing calender as they recieve no factory support whatsoever. Honda Racing Europe takes care of the bikes(even for the TT/BSB bikes) and they're based out of a small place in UK as opposed to say HRC's goliath factory in Japan.
Even MV Agusta is semi-factory. BMW and Honda are like private teams this year. Yamaha is factory backed, Kawa is full factory along with Ducati. This is why they fill up top 6 spots while the bikes behind them are a second off the pace per lap finishing the race 30-40seconds behind the winner. They tried the reverse grid for Race 2 method this year but the results stay the same, same 4 bikes run to the front and one of the 2 Kawas win every race.

WSBK boss said they will think of going MotoGP route and introduce spec-ecu along with some other minor regulations to bring competition much closer but he says he feels its unfair to penalize full factory teams to help smaller teams too. Either way WSBK viewership is in the crappers. Hardly anybody attends them live nowadays.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
World Super Bikes started again this weekend in Germany after the summer break. Race one was yesterday and Race 2 is in a few hours time. Yesterdays race was another Ducati & Kawaskai fest and a bit processional, so not much has changed . The racing in this comp has not been as close and exciting as it has been in MotoGP the last couple of years.
As a Ducati fan it was still great to see Chaz Davies have a win but Jonathan Rae has pretty much got the championship sewn up.
Also good to see British rider Leon Camier take 5th on the MV Augusta.
Only four rounds left with the next stop being Portugal.

Chaz Davies wins in Germany but Jonathan Rea extends WSB lead - BBC Sport

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
WSBK TV coverage here on Oz is awful. They squeeze a whole weekend's racing into 30 minutes, spend half of that chatting with riders and the whole thing lacks atmosphere - you can hardly hear the bikes over the inane and boring ramblings of the commentators. I rarely bother watching it and don't know why they bother.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
WSBK TV coverage here on Oz is awful. They squeeze a whole weekend's racing into 30 minutes, spend half of that chatting with riders and the whole thing lacks atmosphere - you can hardly hear the bikes over the inane and boring ramblings of the commentators. I rarely bother watching it and don't know why they bother.
Yeah unless you've got Sky (pay TV) here your stuffed. Probably worse than Oz even.

The WSBK has become very British dominated in recent years as the BSB is still strong and bringing riders through onto the world stage. The crowd attendance numbers outside of Britain are pretty woeful though.
I guess I enjoy it because the bikes are more like what you can buy and ride on the road. Ive just watched the Super Sport (600cc fours and 675 triples) race and it was good close racing. The new R6 Yamahas were dominating.
And of course there is the 300cc class this year too. It's an R3 fest basically. :D

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Exciting News Stefan Bradl Honda Fireblade overtook another bike during race 2. Received an honorable mention by the commentators :) at the German round yesterday. Alex Lowes managed to stay on without crashing out.

British Superbikes is much better to watch though imo.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
300cc Class win to Anna Carrasco

Really enjoyed watching the 300cc class race last night as they reversed the order and it was on before the main race.

As usual it was a close tussle with heaps of slip streaming that went down to the last corner but great to see Spanish rider Anna Carrasco take the win on her Ninja for the first time in this comp.
Great racing, hope they keep this class running for future seasons.

WorldSBK

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Rea makes history.

Jonathan Rea became the first rider to clinch three successive World Superbike titles by winning Race 1 at Magny-Cours in the wet yesterday.

There's still two rounds to go but he has enough points to seal the deal. He's been in a class of his own this year, full credit to him. He's got that Kawasaki humming.

The lack of close racing has made the championship a bit dull compared to the MotoGp though.

World Superbikes: Jonathan Rea makes history by clinching third successive title - BBC Sport

1 - 20 of 20 Posts