Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha has just filled a patent app for the names R3 and YZF-R3. Some people are thinking R3 could be the FZ09's triple in a sport bike, but going by Yamahas naming protocol its more likely that the R3 is actually just a 300cc.

Consider:
YZF-R1= 1000cc
YZF-R6= 600cc
YZF-125=125cc

Not only is there a massive gap between 600 and 125 but Yamaha usually drops the zeros.

Really going to follow this one closely, it could be a really lively competitor for CBR and Ninjette in NA...

Yamaha Trademarks YZF-R3 » Motorcycle.com News

Yamaha Trademarks “YZF-R3″ & “R3″ Name for Motorcycles

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks for the update on this. I did hear about an R25 model but was concerned they weren't stepping any higher. Can't wait for even more info on these models although it's clear enough what we can expect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It wouldn't make sense for Yamaha to release a bike that has a lower displacement than the CBR 300R and the ninja 300. This new Yamaha bike will be a good competitor in the segment. Honda and Kawasaki I'm sure are watching closely.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really excited for the yami. I was reading a few weeks ago that the 1WD engine in the R25 is expected to put out 37+ horses, if its 300 I guess it could break into 40...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm really excited for the yami. I was reading a few weeks ago that the 1WD engine in the R25 is expected to put out 37+ horses, if its 300 I guess it could break into 40...
Depending on the weight of the bike, 40 hp could be a nice amount of power for this new Yami. I wonder what Yamaha is going to do with the R3 in order to make it better or competitive with the CBR300 and others in the segment. The segment is getting a lot of players in it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea but R3 could even be a supermid. Some people are speculating the FZ09's triple could put it in a segment with GSXR750 and 899 panigale...

·
Registered
707 Posts
yea but R3 could even be a supermid. Some people are speculating the FZ09's triple could put it in a segment with GSXR750 and 899 panigale...
It would be crazy if the triple can rival the 899 enough to make performance even game, it'll lead to FZ9 guys picking on 899 riders :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Seeing how awesome the 250 version is.. I have a feeling the 300 is going to dominate. It will probably also dominate wallets.

·
Registered
528 Posts
What do you mean? What is tough?

ON another note..

I doubt the R3 is a triple. I see it as a 300cc version of the R25 instead.

Would Yamaha really put a triple a R series motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Who knows what Yamaha intends to do with the "R3" designation... the only small sport bike that Yamaha has in the works right now (that I've heard about) is the R25, and who knows when the R25 will actually be brought to market. The rumors of a Yamaha 250cc sport bike have been flying for several years now, mostly in India. It remains to be seen if or when the R25 will actually make it into U.S. Yamaha dealer showrooms. Maybe Yamaha will eventually produce a 300cc small sport bike for certain markets. Time will tell, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. For that matter, we don't even know when Honda will release the CBR300R. Some are speculating now that the CBR300R will be first introduced as a 2015 model for release (read "available to purchase") later this year. I do know that American Honda Motor Co., and it's U.S. dealers have a substantial inventory of 2013 CBR250R's, as well as CBR500R's to move from their current inventories.

Companies file for various trademark names all the time, sometimes for possible use with a future product... sometimes those trademarks just end up sitting on a shelf, and end up never being used. In some cases companies will even secure a particular trademark, just so that no one else can use it commercially... it happens all the time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Even if they don't end up making the product at least by filing the trademark it saves their arse as people will eventually find out something is in the works, some even looking to sabotage it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
even toned down that would look sweet.

i do hope the r3 is a 300cc version of the r25 concept for north america to battle the cbr300 and nina 300.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Just came by a rendering today of the r3

Interesting... although to me that looks like a photo of a real bike, perhaps a prototype, rather than a rendering. First thing that should be obvious is that there's no way that's a 300cc engine. I see at least 3 header pipes in front of that engine. A couple other things I see that would indicate this is a large displacement sport bike are the twin brake discs up front, the width of the rear wheel/tire, and the inverted front forks. I'd guess that this bike would be in the 700cc to 800cc range... it's definitely not a small displacement bike.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting... although to me that looks like a photo of a real bike, perhaps a prototype, rather than a rendering. First thing that should be obvious is that there's no way that's a 300cc engine. I see at least 3 header pipes in front of that engine. A couple other things I see that would indicate this is a large displacement sport bike are the twin brake discs up front, the width of the rear wheel/tire, and the inverted front forks. I'd guess that this bike would be in the 700cc to 800cc range... it's definitely not a small displacement bike.
no its not a 300. You can tell by the underslung exhaust its been based off the FZ09...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts