Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha has given us an interesting surprise at the Tokyo Motor Show. Meet the R25, Yamis new quarter liter competitor. I guess yamaha got fed up with leaving the quarter scene to Kawasaki and Honda. The only details we have are that it will be 249cc parallel twin layout.

Yamaha had this to say:

“’It’s an all new street motorcycle injected with Yamaha Motor Racing’s pedigree,"
Its about time too, Yamahas entry level sport bike in North America is currently the FZ6R even though they have long produced low displacement sport bikes for international markets.

This could actually make an excellent track bike....

·
Registered
707 Posts
It is, Would be cool to see them keep the R25 like this for production and even offer some different race color schemes for it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
There is no word on whether the R25 would ever make it to North America. Yamaha doesn't seem to care about this segement since it's plas are just to be released in Asia. I'd say i wouldn't be a bad idea to have a bike in that range. If it does ever end up here it would be known as the R250. But then they would be behind since the other are well in to the 300cc mark.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would like to see them bring it to N/A, it might be a bit behind on CC's but it will still be a good competitor. They can even price it accordingly just so they can ensure they get enough sales.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So we aren't sure if this Yamaha is even going to make it to North America? That sucks. It certainly looks like fun in the video that you posted. A lot of this depends on pricing. Can't give a verdict without that info...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is anyone considering this bike instead of the CBR300? It looks like a great bike. I guess a lot depends on its price and when it is released. I would definitely keep an eye on this bike to make sure I am making an informed purchase.

·
Registered
707 Posts
could be because the market for smaller CC motorcycles isnt that big. so its possible it could be europe and asia only/
It's a booming market but it seems more of the attention is being focused on the eastern part of the world and some of south america. North America is still getting a good chunk of the new lower CC bikes.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

you know I'm almost wondering if Honda decided to delay the CBR300 not for over stocked reasons, but to evaluate just what it is there going to be dealing with from Yamaha. Would it not be embarassing for Honda to debut the new 300 only to have its lunch eaten by Yamaha and then be stuck with a thoroughly outclassed bike for the next couple years of the design cycle...

Keep in mind I'm making stuff up, sorry speculating :D

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
You know I'm almost wondering if Honda decided to delay the CBR300 not for over stocked reasons, but to evaluate just what it is there going to be dealing with from Yamaha. Would it not be embarassing for Honda to debut the new 300 only to have its lunch eaten by Yamaha and then be stuck with a thoroughly outclassed bike for the next couple years of the design cycle...

Keep in mind I'm making stuff up, sorry speculating :D
It could very well be that Honda decided to hold back on the 300R release to see what cards Yamaha has in their hand. And it would certainly have been an easier decision for Honda to hold back, knowing that they have plenty of 2013 CBR250R's to carry them through this season.

I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of the photo of the R25 above... it looks to be a pre-production track only bike, likely used to test the concept.

We'll know soon enough if Yamaha has an ace up their sleeve.

·
Registered
707 Posts
if that turns out to be the case with honda then i think it would be a good idea. this is their opportunity to show they can do much better, now with yamaha's epic offering it's clear they need to 1up themselves

·
Registered
528 Posts
i still feel like the r25 is going to be pretty expensive once its available. i like how the concept looks

that screenshot just looks like the r25 concept with headlights

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could very well be that Honda decided to hold back on the 300R release to see what cards Yamaha has in their hand. And it would certainly have been an easier decision for Honda to hold back, knowing that they have plenty of 2013 CBR250R's to carry them through this season.

I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of the photo of the R25 above... it looks to be a pre-production track only bike, likely used to test the concept.

We'll know soon enough if Yamaha has an ace up their sleeve.
I'm not attached to the concept but I'am excited for the line drawing sketch they teased in their video

you can see the seat height is lower and more level, probably to facilitate more street appropriate ergonomics, plus you can clearly see the passenger pillion and pegs. I cant exactly tell where the front pegs are on the sketch drawing, but im going to assume they're not as pushed back as on the concept.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Yeah, I would think that the line drawing as shown in the screenshot should be a pretty accurate depiction of what the production R25 will look like.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts