Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are any of you other 300R riders getting told by motorists all the time that one of your headlight bulbs is blown? The other day I actually had a lady get out of her car at the lights and holler back to me over the noise of all the vehicles about my blown bulb! Ive also had passengers pointing at my headlight etc.

I know they are only trying to be helpful but they are wrong! ;)

Footnote for 300F riders: You have to activate high beam to get both headlights to work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are any of you other 300R riders getting told by motorists all the time that one of your headlight bulbs is blown?

Footnote for 300F riders: You have to activate high beam to get both headlights to work.
HA. The first person I showed my bike to they asked me if one of the bulbs was already bad. I said nothing then flipped the switch!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Daytime I run with high beams in town anyway, that should eliminate most of the controversy

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Daytime I run with high beams in town anyway, that should eliminate most of the controversy

I always ride with my high beam on during the day. It is just another safety measure a motorcyclist should do in order to "be seen" by other motorists (as is wearing a brightly colored helmet, rather than some neutral colored helmet which tends to blend in with the surrounding background). And just to be clear (and contrary to popular belief), riding with your high beam on during daylight hours will not blind oncoming motorists... that's just a BS urban myth.

Never give the other guy the lame excuse "I didn't see that motorcycle"... always ride with your high beam on during the day. And get yourself a bright helmet... it does make a big difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I turn on low beam early in the morning and late evening. I can see people adjusting their mirrors when I have my high beams on and behind them when there is less light out. Not too many comments from motorists but I am wondering if there is any way to use both bulbs in low beam? Easy fix I am assuming. Anyone done it?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am wondering if there is any way to use both bulbs in low beam? Easy fix I am assuming. Anyone done it?
Same, it would be a good compromise. I was trying not to annoy people with a bright light in their eyes but have taken MotoMike's comments on board.

I've always worn mono color white helmets as an extra way of being seen, even tho they are real boring to look at. :laugh:

·
Registered
93 Posts
...riding with your high beam on during daylight hours will not blind oncoming motorists... that's just a BS urban myth...
HID projectors with high beam on will leave marks in other drivers eyes during the day. Mine certainly will.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I always ride with my high beam on during the day. It is just another safety measure a motorcyclist should do in order to "be seen" by other motorists (as is wearing a brightly colored helmet, rather than some neutral colored helmet which tends to blend in with the surrounding background). .
I agree with MotoMike. I am big on safety and visibility to drivers. I wear my hi-viz helmet day or night and that's another reason I got my reflective graphics. I also ride with high beams 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
HID projectors with high beam on will leave marks in other drivers eyes during the day. Mine certainly will.
Certainly an HID projector on high beam would be too bright to use for daytime running, but my comment was based on a bike running the stock OEM Halogen headlight bulb and using high beam only during full daylight hours. For daytime use, I would think that an HID on low beam would be close enough to the same brightness as a standard Halogen on high beam.

Like needa916, I always switch to low beam if I happen to be riding at dusk (beginning when the sun sets) or on into the evening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never give the other guy the lame excuse "I didn't see that motorcycle"... always ride with your high beam on during the day. And get yourself a bright helmet... it does make a big difference.

riding with a headlight on all the time: YES

riding with high beam on all the time: NO!

the high beam will blind other motorists, always dip your high beams when others are around.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts

the high beam will blind other motorists, always dip your high beams when others are around.
I didn't say "all the time"... what I said was "during the day".

And high beams on during the day will not blind other motorists.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For those of you who only ride during the day never after dark...why could you not leave your "high beam" om all the time and adjust your "high beam" headlight down and make it a 2nd low beam...just grasping at straws..

·
Registered
21 Posts

Mike didn't say all the time; just during the day. I ride with high beams on during daylight hours for safety. I see other riders doing it and when they are in opposite traffic it doesn't blind me at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
is one bulb brighter than the other, or is the high beam just angled higher up? would it be possible to replace them with dual beam bulbs and wire them so both are on with low and high? I personally don't have a problem with the way they are currently set up, other than the fact that i think it looks silly with only one on

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As usual people don't read everything that others wrote hence out of context and in this case also a broken record.
I think we've got enough of those now for a limited edition box set:

300 greatest $hits

Featuring the smash hits: 'Looking for neutral' 'Bad vibrations' 'My tire's best'
and 'Ive got the aftermarket slip-on blues'

:laugh:

Reactions: jkautz

·
Registered
487 Posts
is one bulb brighter than the other, or is the high beam just angled higher up? would it be possible to replace them with dual beam bulbs and wire them so both are on with low and high? I personally don't have a problem with the way they are currently set up, other than the fact that i think it looks silly with only one on
Don't run more watts then design or you'll burn your electrical up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts