Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
By going to the 120/60 from stock it's a --1.7% in height and 9.1% in width. And rear is only .6 in the 160/60. I know by going to these size open up better tire options. But why not 120/70/17 and 150/70/17 this would be like 1/2 inch taller overall on seat height. Just asking cause this is something that I have been turning in my mind. What size?? And what tire??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
To each his own ...but I think that since Honda engineered this bike and it came stock with 140/70/17's on the rear myself I plan to stick to stock sizes. Do you guys realize that in Motto GP the 250's are fitted with narrower tires (with alot more power) than our 300's have. This is by design to help with the bikes handling. Like I said ..to each his own.

Reactions: Dar R

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
To each his own ...but I think that since Honda engineered this bike and it came stock with 140/70/17's on the rear myself I plan to stick to stock sizes. Do you guys realize that in Motto GP the 250's are fitted with narrower tires (with alot more power) than our 300's have. This is by design to help with the bikes handling. Like I said ..to each his own.
This is always such a huge debate in here and actually every single bike forum I have gone in. Let me just say 1 thing(I'm sure someone will argue with me), Honda didn't exactly spend that much time engineering this bike. Manufacturers are more concerned with price when it comes to their lower end vehicles, and most of the time they barely break even. They do this so that you enter their brand and hopefully are pleased and will move up models with your next purchase. Honda's bikes like the 600rr and 1000rr I am sure put A LOT of engineering time into balancing, road testing, wind tunnels etc etc. So I never go for the excuse 'if they thought (X) would make the bike better or faster they would have built it that way'. Not true. I know a Purchaser for Ford that specifically looks to find materials that save a penny on the dollar, that's part of his job to do, even if it means a different supplier from model year to next model year.
Anyways, I plan on going to 120/60/17, 150/60/17 when I need them. I have them picked out already and I calculated the rpm changes etc. by doing so. The only thing that really matters IMO is the rim size 4" inches. Now I have found websites that say their tires fit a 4" rim. Plenty of Ninjette owners have gone to 160's also and they have 4". There are a few people in here that have gone to 160's and they love it. Face it, I don't know of anyone in here that races their 300r yet? So street riding I don't see a big performance issue by going up 2 sizes other than you are just wasting probably an Inch or more of the tire (chickenstrip). But 'street cred.' matters to a lot of people also. As far as widths I've noticed different brand tires in the 160 size have different widths between their beads. The Diablo II I think is 4inches from bead to bead off the tire, Battlax was over 4", so that will determine how much the tire will arc also.
I couldn't give a crap what people think about the size of the tire, but I am brand loyal, and my brand only has 150/60 or 150/70 :D

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Mikal your bike will look way cool cruising the Venice Beach strip with those bad boys on. :cool:
Righto, I'll just get my popcorn ready and wait for the haters! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Continental 150/60 vs 160/60

Doesn't matter what bike this is, don't ask! Here is the deal
Rim = 4.25" inches
Original (worn) tire was a 150/17 Continental same model/brand
Replacement (new) tire was a 160/17 Continental same model/brand
Notice the arc/width. Obviously the old is flat, the new is rounded. Photos speak for themselves

I know I'll get ragged on for this too, but there are a few sites I've found showing tire size vs rim size. Again, depending on the tire Brand, certain brands 160 will fit 4"inch rims. You just have to check the exact measurements very carefully. Every tire measures off a little from bead to bead and even tread thickness
http://dropbears.com/motorcycles/utilities/tyrerim.htm
http://ridewrightwheels.com/pages/motorcycle-tire-wheel-fitment-chart

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Found these photos of a nice blacked out cbr250r. It has a 160/60/17 rear tire and 120/60/17 front tire. Now I am not at all saying to go get that size or that this size is better at all! I am just showing some photos of people that have done it. The title of this thread is 'how to fit a 160 tire'. The bike looks great tho

·
Registered
272 Posts
From what I have read...a bigger rear tire would interfere with how the bike handles in a flick-able way.
You're right. Big tires create additional counter forces pushing the bike up in corners. The largest bike I ever rode had a 240 rear tire. It's difficult to compare that with a CBR300, because the wheel base and weight is also much different (1380mm / 164kg to 1695mm / 370kg). So the CBR corners much easier than the cruiser ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
The Yamaha MT-07 is a classic example of an over-tyred rear end on a bike. It has a 180 section rear whereas every other bike in its class runs a 160.
I'm guessing they did this as a styling exercise as the bike was marketed as a street fighter.
Personally I would rather have quick handling/steering.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know many people discourage to change the tire to 160, but I want to do it for the aesthetic purpose. What kinds of mod do i need to do to make it happen? I saw this mod done in Thai and i looks gorgeous. I believe the tire is large than stock. Also, if anyone can help, what mods did this owner did to this bike? I just ordered my bike, and its coming next week, i can't wait. I'm also a first time rider and CBR300R will be my first bike. Thank you in advance :) cheers
Late to this party but perhaps good for others with the same idea:
IMHO, if this is your first bike, ride the stocker until it's done. Spend the money you've saved on some good gear which will last you for many bikes.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I went with Metzeler M7 RR's 120/60, 150/60 because those are the only sizes I could find in that tire that would fit. I am completely happy with them. Yes there may be less flick ability but the sidewalls are so strong and the tires are like glue I'll take that anyday over the stock IRC's

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Tire choices are always a hot topic on bike forums and generally the discussion is inconclusive, which is fine.
It appears that generally a riders preferred tire is the one they've just paid big bucks to have fitted to his or her bike.
Or in the case of someone still running the OEM tires they dont know any different so it's a happy ignorance (for want of a less negative sounding term).
Ain't human beings interesting characters. :D

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
It's the same when people buy things (bikes etc) after a few months some want to change things. That's why us humans are all different, I remember way back in the 60's buying a Norton Dommi 99 and changing it to a cafe racer, then selling it after novelty wore off and brought a standard bike T120 bonni, kept it stock.

Reactions: kiwi rider
41 - 60 of 66 Posts