Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
has anybody lowered their bike to slow up the steering?? having ridden cruisers for umpteen years(shadows and a DN01) i like the cb300f but find the steering sharper than i'm used to. i'd like to think i won't turn it on it's(my) head.
Have you dropped the rear preload as low as it will go? Other than that, I would wait a while. Give yourself time to recalibrate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i've already lowered the shock-(did i mention i have a short inseam-i think i forgot to) because i have a short inseam. its hereditary. when i joined the army years ago i was 5-10. now i'm 5-7 1/2.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used to be 5-10 and am now 5-7 too. Put it down to age and very heavy bergans in RAF mountain Rescue and years of carrying them since. Age doesn't help either (78).

·
Registered
68 Posts
age is only a number. it's how you feel. 'course somedays you feel a hundred, somedays 16. remember you don't stop riding b'cuz you get old, you get old b'cuz you stop riding!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's why I swopped my 650 Deauville for the CBR300. So I could keep on riding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
coincidentally i had an NT700V (US version of the 650 Deauville) that i traded because i was tippy toeing it to much. lowering it was too much hassle and i knew one tipover would be expensive. ( that was honda #7 ).

·
Registered
372 Posts
The other problem with NT650/700 Deauvilles was that the weight is high up. CBF1000 is same weight but weight is lower down and makes it easier to handle. CBR300 feels ever so light after that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last post---lowering bike. Why ruin a fine handling bike?? Better learn to ride better. Remember feet and legs are part of the handling package. Trying to ride 300 like cruiser, would waste a fine handling bike----want to change handling? Rake/trail need to be changed....expensive project.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dropping the rear of the bike one inch will change the rake and trail marginally. certainly not cruiser like.and certainly not expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
dropping the rear of the bike one inch will change the rake and trail marginally. certainly not cruiser like.and certainly not expensive.
You can drop the front end to match. You can slide the forks up through the triple clamps an easy 3/4 " with no dramas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm more looking to slow up the steering a tad, not lower the bike. and lowering the bike 1" in the rear will not appreciably change the handling. and i know, having ridden many thousands of miles on Shadows, Viragos, Ninjas, Vulcans, Nighthawks, Pacific Coasts and a Gold Wing or two that john grinsel did not intend to disparage my riding ability!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
installed the Vortex link. lowered the rear just enough, but not so much i'll need to shorten the kick stand. (at least not if i'm careful until i get used to it.)only problem with the install was finding that "sweet spot" where there's no load on the suspension. haven't found anything that fine since......well that's another story. the only other problem was i got the newer version of the link with the pressed in bearing in a package with the old directions/pictures. a few phone calls later and Kyle at Vortex had me good as gold. Kudos to them. so the final question is, does anybody have a shop manual that can tell me the torque specs for the lower links on a 2016 CB300f?? thanks for any and all help with this and Merry Christmas to all. ( make sure to give your bike a present.)

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
If you cant get the torque settings dont worry about it. Just do it by hand. I pull my race bikes suspension apart all the time and never use a torque wrench on re-assembly.
There's too much emphasis on torque settings these days and sometimes the figures are incorrect resulting in heads being snapped off bolts etc.
Cheers for the Xmas message. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
it feels good sitting on it but i've gotta wait for a ride. it snowed 6 inches yesterday, it's 13 degrees (F) right now with a 20-25 mph NW wind and it's not supposed to get a lot warmer for the forseeable future. gotta love that global warming!!

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
it feels good sitting on it but i've gotta wait for a ride. it snowed 6 inches yesterday, it's 13 degrees (F) right now with a 20-25 mph NW wind and it's not supposed to get a lot warmer for the forseeable future. gotta love that global warming!!
(To be sung in the tone of Bing Crosby) "I'm dreaming of a, white Xmas." :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
Bikes are leaned, not steered, except in very slow parking lot stuff.....trikes/sidecar outfits steered.
It does depend on the style of bike a bit tho. I've been riding a mates KTM Duke 690 a bit lately as I'm between road bikes. This is one bike where you definetly need to use the handle bars to get it to turn in. Mostly counter steering though.
The little CBR's are a breeze to corner on, you've only got to look at a bend and it falls in! :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It does depend on the style of bike a bit tho. I've been riding a mates KTM Duke 690 a bit lately as I'm between road bikes. This is one bike where you definetly need to use the handle bars to get it to turn in. Mostly counter steering though.
The little CBR's are a breeze to corner on, you've only got to look at a bend and it falls in! :D
That is actually why I like my little WEEBR so much..:serious:

Reactions: kiwi rider
21 - 40 of 51 Posts